College Football 2006-2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
phillyfan26 said:

I don't blame the playcalling AT ALL. I think that's completely wrong. Michael Robinson was great. The difference is Morelli doesn't throw consistently, and is a horrible decision maker. I don't think anyone taught him about checking each receiver. It's unbelievable. I've never seen a QB not see this many wide open receivers.

Whoa there a minute, MRob wasn't exactly an accurate passer himself. He made many more plays with his feet, and in doing so saved us from another horrible year moving the football in 2005. He also had decent amount of experience running our, err, "offense" prior to winning the starting job last year. And for the record, MR didn't check down much either. When his primary target wasn't open, he just took off. AM doesn't have that club in his bag.

Morelli is not doing the things you pointed out because (1)Jaypa and Co. have failed in coaching him up to do so, and (2) They rarely gave AM the chance to play his first two years. As a result, Anthony was no better prepared than an incoming freshman to start the season. Whose fault was that?

Playcalling not an issue? Where's the TE? Why do almost all of our routes get run to the sideline? The talent we have at WR screams YAC, but that's hard to get from a good ole' fashioned square out, isn't it?. And I'm not talking about just this year either. We haven't consistently attacked the middle of the field since Collins and Engram. Why is Perretta getting sent on a short side reverse at Minny? What was AM doing running the option at ND? That worked out well, didn't it? Why is it often times obvious to the other team what we are going to run just by the personnel we put out there? Most of AJ Wallace's touches fall under this category. When DWill goes under center, he's the ball carrier. Not hard to figure out.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

Being a Michigan fan I'm not sure about that really. If it was in Ann Arbor I would feel better. Alot of football left before we know how good either team is. Alot of factors such as injuries can play into it as well. If either teams quarterback has any type of injury it will be devastating to that team.

Should be a good game though. My concerns for Michigan are games that are coming up quickly, Sparty next week and Penn State on the road. Iowa wont be a cake walk but fortunately thats at home. Michigan doesnt have any easy game though until Northwestern, in 4 weeks. If Michigan is still undefeated at that point they will be undefeated going into Columbus. Its a big IF still though to me.

I have full faith in my team. We destroyed MSU last week and the rest of the others teams we play will have the same fate. The only team I am worried about is OSU. They have a strong team and it will be a great game. My prediction before the season would be that UofM and OSU will play eachother undefeated at the end of the season. It stays the same.

Has anyone heard of or know of the college trend that more than one player can wear the same jersey number so long as they aren't on the field at the same time????

USC QB John David Booty #10
USC starting Linebacker Brian Cushing #10

I saw that Washington had 2 #4's and 2 #8's but only one of each was on the field at any given time...

How long has this been happening????

Mr. BAW said:
Has anyone heard of or know of the college trend that more than one player can wear the same jersey number so long as they aren't on the field at the same time????

USC QB John David Booty #10
USC starting Linebacker Brian Cushing #10

I saw that Washington had 2 #4's and 2 #8's but only one of each was on the field at any given time...

How long has this been happening????

For a while. I know Nebraska used to have a roster of 120+ players for home games (most of whom never played a down, of course).

I know there are some college football teams that have a no-cut policy -- as long as you're willing to bust your ass in practice every day, you get to be part of the team and dress for home games, as is the case at many high schools. I don't know if this was/is the case at Nebraska, Washington or other I-A schools though.

Last edited:
We're playing Boston College tonight...which shouldn't be too bad...but actually after the GT game, I'm wondering if I should've sent the team away with some vaseline.

By the way, I'm losing respect for my own team. Josh Hyman (yes, that is really his name) was arrested last week for DUI. The school didn't do JACK about it. In fact, they've kept it under wraps. It was the MEDIA that brought it to everyone's attention. He's out on bail, but last I heard he was still in the starting lineup for tonight's game.

UGH! I have issues with our athletic department.

gherman said:

I have full faith in my team. We destroyed MSU last week and the rest of the others teams we play will have the same fate. The only team I am worried about is OSU. They have a strong team and it will be a great game. My prediction before the season would be that UofM and OSU will play eachother undefeated at the end of the season. It stays the same.

I'm really looking forward to this game :hyper:
(osu fan)

redhotswami said:
By the way, I'm losing respect for my own team. Josh Hyman (yes, that is really his name) was arrested last week for DUI. The school didn't do JACK about it. In fact, they've kept it under wraps. It was the MEDIA that brought it to everyone's attention. He's out on bail, but last I heard he was still in the starting lineup for tonight's game.

UGH! I have issues with our athletic department.

So they're denying that their Hyman was busted?

gherman said:

Oh, I think Michigan's defense this year is good enough to have them in any game they play including the Buckeyes. I have been a fan of this team since I could walk, I go to all the home games and have been to almost all of them for the last 18 years. I have just seen my share of Michigan coming out flat and blowing a game they should win to many times to get super over confident though. They win the next two (Penn State and Iowa, neither are going to be cake walks) they go to Columbus undefeated and will play an undefeated OSU to go to the national title game. You know, I would love for that to happen and for them to win that and go, but even if they go undefeated and lose that game. They will be 11-1 and on their way to a BCS game. Compared to last year I would still be happy. I just hope Manningham is back for OSU, I think they will definately need him for that game. I dont think they have to have him for Penn State or Iowa though to win those. Should be interesting.

GO BLUE!

Blue Room said:

Oh, I think Michigan's defense this year is good enough to have them in any game they play including the Buckeyes. I have been a fan of this team since I could walk, I go to all the home games and have been to almost all of them for the last 18 years. I have just seen my share of Michigan coming out flat and blowing a game they should win to many times to get super over confident though. They win the next two (Penn State and Iowa, neither are going to be cake walks) they go to Columbus undefeated and will play an undefeated OSU to go to the national title game. You know, I would love for that to happen and for them to win that and go, but even if they go undefeated and lose that game. They will be 11-1 and on their way to a BCS game. Compared to last year I would still be happy. I just hope Manningham is back for OSU, I think they will definately need him for that game. I dont think they have to have him for Penn State or Iowa though to win those. Should be interesting.

GO BLUE!

I can't agree more. I did my undergrad there and my doctorate there starting in 97 when we took titles in football and hockey. Ever since then it has been a rough ride but I just have a feeling about this year. If it doesn't work out the Tigers will still win the world series :wink:

Clark W. Griswold said:

Whoa there a minute, MRob wasn't exactly an accurate passer himself. He made many more plays with his feet, and in doing so saved us from another horrible year moving the football in 2005. He also had decent amount of experience running our, err, "offense" prior to winning the starting job last year. And for the record, MR didn't check down much either. When his primary target wasn't open, he just took off. AM doesn't have that club in his bag.

Morelli is not doing the things you pointed out because (1)Jaypa and Co. have failed in coaching him up to do so, and (2) They rarely gave AM the chance to play his first two years. As a result, Anthony was no better prepared than an incoming freshman to start the season. Whose fault was that?

Playcalling not an issue? Where's the TE? Why do almost all of our routes get run to the sideline? The talent we have at WR screams YAC, but that's hard to get from a good ole' fashioned square out, isn't it?. And I'm not talking about just this year either. We haven't consistently attacked the middle of the field since Collins and Engram. Why is Perretta getting sent on a short side reverse at Minny? What was AM doing running the option at ND? That worked out well, didn't it? Why is it often times obvious to the other team what we are going to run just by the personnel we put out there? Most of AJ Wallace's touches fall under this category. When DWill goes under center, he's the ball carrier. Not hard to figure out.

No, now having seen last night I am even more convinced this isn't playcalling but Morelli. The sacks were almost entirely his fault. Each time he held the ball for entirely too long, to the point where you could see Paterno screaming "THROW THE BALL!" at him as he came off the field. He finds each open receiver (plenty, thanks to the playcalling) entirely too late. Every person who watches Penn State that I know notices this trend. Being immobile, late on throws, not throwing it away, and not seeing open men leads to serious problems.

phillyfan26 said:

No, now having seen last night I am even more convinced this isn't playcalling but Morelli. The sacks were almost entirely his fault. Each time he held the ball for entirely too long, to the point where you could see Paterno screaming "THROW THE BALL!" at him as he came off the field. He finds each open receiver (plenty, thanks to the playcalling) entirely too late. Every person who watches Penn State that I know notices this trend. Being immobile, late on throws, not throwing it away, and not seeing open men leads to serious problems.

I agree that Morelli doesnt look all that sharp and seems to get rattled. But give some credit to Michigan's defense last night. Michigan's defense is top notch this year. They have put pressure on everyone they have played and pretty much shut down the run game.

phillyfan26 said:

Granted, the two sacks back to back in the second quarter were his fault. It happened right in front of us in the north end. should've chucked it OB. Apart from that, He had little to no chance.

Great play calling, huh? Still very few routes run to the middle of the field. Only one ball thrown to the TE, which, of course was an out pattern. It took the staff until 3 minutes to go in the game to combat the UM pass rush with a screen. suprise!!-it went for a TD. We should have screened them to death until they stopped it, that would have bought the passing game a bit more time.

Is Morelli blameless? certainly not. But you can't recruit a kid, sit him on the bench for two years, and expect him to be the finished product. AM was rated the #2 QB prospect in America (AHEAD of Henne) the year we got him. A lot of people besides us wanted him. But you need a competent staff to develop talent, even of his calibre. Clearly we can no longer do this at QB and Oline.

I've followed PSU since before their two MNC's. I was and remain an admirer of JVP. He also is an 80 year old man who is no longer at the top of his profession. Not even close. Like a lot of people his age, he is stubborn and slow to adapt to new ideas and concepts, even if it would help his cause. Time to step aside and find a new way to help the program he professes to love.

VertigoGal said:
I just used my magical analytical skills to realize that Michigan would have to win nov. 18th for that to be possible at all.

and thats just not gonna happen. :wink:

Right now OSU is the better overall team. If Michigan's offense gets healthy (which they should) before OSU I wouldnt feel so confident if I were you. :wink: If both teams are healthy its going to come down to who gets the most breaks. Michigan's defense has knocked 4 different QB's out of the game this year. Troy Smith will get some plays on Michigan, but he is going to take some hits also. Should be a great game.

I'm on the same page as GotPhilk though. Even if Michigan loses to OSU. Michigan will be 11-1 and probably on their way to the Rose Bowl. I will take that.

GO BLUE!

Last edited:
It's exciting to have some tough D back at the Big House. It's been a while. We've had some decent teams, but since that National Championship team, we haven't had that solid all around D. Good players, but overall a little weak.

I'm excited to see what happens.

Blue Room said:

I'm on the same page as GotPhilk though. Even if Michigan loses to OSU. Michigan will be 11-1 and probably on their way to the Rose Bowl. I will take that.

That is the major difference between the OSU and UM programs and fan bases right now. Neither tOSU or their fans will be content to lose "The Game" and go to the Rose Bowl. During the John Cooper era, I'm sure this wasn't the case.

Nevertheless, it looks like it's going to be a great game. UM has played very well and their defense is tough. However, the key to this game is Jim Tressel. He is just plain and simple a better coach than Lloyd Carr. And it doesn't hurt that "The Game" is being played in Cowtown, err I mean Columbus.

Best of luck to both teams.....uh what am I saying????!!!!!...Ann Arbor is a whore! :wink:

Beat Blue!

Go Bucks!!!!

Last edited:
The way the Trojans look this year and considering the remaining scheduling Oregon, CAL, Notre Dame and UCLA, they'll be lucky to make it to the Holiday Bowl in San Diego....this team just doesn't seem to WANT to win..the catchers don't catch, the runners don't run, the throwers can't throw and the offensive coach is offensive...predictable play calling....:no:

U2ME3 said:

That is the major difference between the OSU and UM programs and fan bases right now. Neither tOSU or their fans will be content to lose "The Game" and go to the Rose Bowl. During the John Cooper era, I'm sure this wasn't the case.

Nevertheless, it looks like it's going to be a great game. UM has played very well and their defense is tough. However, the key to this game is Jim Tressel. He is just plain and simple a better coach than Lloyd Carr. And it doesn't hurt that "The Game" is being played in Cowtown, err I mean Columbus.

Best of luck to both teams.....uh what am I saying????!!!!!...Ann Arbor is a whore! :wink:

Beat Blue!

Go Bucks!!!!

Well, not really. Its a difference about how we went into this season. OSU was picked to contend for the national title from the get go. Michigan was ranked 18th coming off a 7-5 down year. I dont think anyone including the diehards thought we would be undefeated and playing in a game to go to the title game. So yeah, if Michigan goes 11-1 to the Rose Bowl after last year it would be a great year. I like Michigans chances though. For one simple reason. I guarantee you VERY few people will pick Michigan to beat OSU. Michigan almost always plays well against OSU when they are the underdog. Defense wins championships and Michigan's is great this year. I think its actually a little better than the 97 defense. The 97 defense just shut people down. This defense shuts them down and punishes them.

Next year Michigan is going to be top 5 going in most likely. So next year everyone is going to be expecting them to contend.

Regarding coaching. Tressel (although ethically corrupt :wink: )is a better x and o's guys than Lloyd. The x factor this year though is Michigan has a new offensive and defensive coordinator. Ron English is a great coach, the NFL wanted him. So I think thats an even match up. I will conceed you probably have the advantage with the offensive coaching though.

Its going to be a great game. The hype is going to be ridiculous.

Last edited:
Mr. BAW said:
The way the Trojans look this year and considering the remaining scheduling Oregon, CAL, Notre Dame and UCLA, they'll be lucky to make it to the Holiday Bowl in San Diego....this team just doesn't seem to WANT to win..the catchers don't catch, the runners don't run, the throwers can't throw and the offensive coach is offensive...predictable play calling....:no:

Just beat Notre Dame. For one simple reason. To shut Lou Holtz up. Every single weekend he keeps hyping that ND will play for the national title this year. Not going to happen.

Back
Top Bottom