College Football 2006-2007 - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-10-2006, 07:17 AM   #151
Blue Crack Addict
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 26,496
Local Time: 09:20 AM
Great game last night. RU still has to beat WVU in Morgantown on 12-2...not an easy task.

One of my best friends played offensive tackle at Rutgers many moons ago, he's quite stoked these days.

But for Rutgers to play in the Fiesta Bowl, they need a miracle. They have to win out (Possible), and Fla has to lose to FSU, Auburn has to lose to 'Bama, Texas has to lose to A&M (or the Big 12 title game), USC has to beat Cal and Notre Dame but lose to Oregon, Arkanasa has to lost to LSU and Ohio State would need to thump Michigan by 20+ points.

A lot has to happen.
I'm rooting for it all.
__________________

__________________
Hewson is offline  
Old 11-10-2006, 10:54 AM   #152
War Child
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Wallyworld
Posts: 571
Local Time: 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
Great game last night. RU still has to beat WVU in Morgantown on 12-2...not an easy task.

One of my best friends played offensive tackle at Rutgers many moons ago, he's quite stoked these days.

But for Rutgers to play in the Fiesta Bowl, they need a miracle. They have to win out (Possible), and Fla has to lose to FSU, Auburn has to lose to 'Bama, Texas has to lose to A&M (or the Big 12 title game), USC has to beat Cal and Notre Dame but lose to Oregon, Arkanasa has to lost to LSU and Ohio State would need to thump Michigan by 20+ points.

A lot has to happen.
I'm rooting for it all.

Not all of that needs to happen. Rutgers needs to win out (obviously), but they are already #3 in the Sagarin computer poll's ELO_CHESS format, which is what the BCS formula looks at. ELO_CHESS factors in only schedule strength and W/Ls- no credence is given to margin of victory) If they can hold their spot in this poll (and the other computers), they should rise up in the human polls enough by seasons end to have a shot. You have to figure that at least a few of those other teams will lose along the way in Conference title games and big rivalry match ups. Even if they don't it will be close.

These TV experts only look at the here and now when it comes to BCS standings and don't crunch any numbers based on the potential future results.
Remember two weeks ago when the ESPN boys thought that WVU couldn't get to #3 even after a few key losses by teams ahead of them?

I'm very interested in seeing the standings after this weekend's games.

BTW, when did your friend play?
__________________

__________________
Clark W. Griswold, Jr is offline  
Old 11-10-2006, 11:02 AM   #153
War Child
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Wallyworld
Posts: 571
Local Time: 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase


if rutgers goes undefeated and ends up as the only undefeated team in the nation and still have a snowballs chance in hell of even playing for a national championship, let alone winning one, is exactly why i can't take college football serious... other than for gambling reasons, of course.
If they are the ONLY undefeated team, they get in, IMO. THe trouble is, the B10 champ probably runs the table as well.

That said, if Schiano has any long range plans to stay in Piscataway, it would be in his best interest to upgrade the schedule. He can't do anything about the league he's in, but he does have 4-5 OOC games to schedule each year.

Yes, they need a playoff. If only a 4 or 8 team one. Until then, it's just like boxing- you might be able to decide it in the ring, but more often you are at the mercy of the judges.
__________________
Clark W. Griswold, Jr is offline  
Old 11-10-2006, 11:29 AM   #154
Blue Crack Addict
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 26,496
Local Time: 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Clark W. Griswold, Jr


BTW, when did your friend play?
83 to 86
__________________
Hewson is offline  
Old 11-10-2006, 11:36 AM   #155
Blue Crack Addict
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 26,496
Local Time: 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Clark W. Griswold, Jr


He can't do anything about the league he's in, but he does have 4-5 OOC games to schedule each year.

Well Schiano has been upgrading the OOC schedule a bit already.
This year they played North Carolina and Illinois, who though not great teams are from 2 power conferences. Navy (who RU thumped 34-0) is also decent this year (or was till their QB got hurt) at 6-3 with the 3 losses to RU, Notre Dame and a 1 pointer to Tulsa. And Ohio at 7-3 is one of the better MAC teams.
Howard, well that is the one cupcake that should definitely be replaced.
__________________
Hewson is offline  
Old 11-10-2006, 11:55 AM   #156
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,460
Local Time: 09:20 AM
the only question that matters of course is wether or not the state of new jersey will be willing to pony up the cash to keep him from bouncing to miami after this season
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 11-10-2006, 11:55 AM   #157
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Mr. BAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Life's too short to drink cheap wine!
Posts: 12,336
Local Time: 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
USC has to beat Cal and Notre Dame but lose to Oregon...I'm rooting for it all.
__________________
Mr. BAW is offline  
Old 11-10-2006, 02:45 PM   #158
Blue Crack Addict
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 26,496
Local Time: 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
other than for gambling reasons, of course.
Over 54.5 ND/AFA
__________________
Hewson is offline  
Old 11-10-2006, 04:16 PM   #159
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Blue Room's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: MICHIGAN, GO BLUE!
Posts: 7,612
Local Time: 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase


didn't think rutgers had a chance after that kickoff was run back for a TD... great comeback, great win.

but alas... the fact that if rutgers goes undefeated and ends up as the only undefeated team in the nation and still have a snowballs chance in hell of even playing for a national championship, let alone winning one, is exactly why i can't take college football serious... other than for gambling reasons, of course.

get a damned playoff already... the system is a joke.
Rutgers wont be the only undefeated team though. Michigan or Ohio State is most likely going to be undefeated. The winner of that game is going to the title game. So its a battle for the #2 slot basically. Then there is Boise State who is also undefeated. There is no way they get to the title game. They will be lucky to get a BCS bid. But why dont they deserve it if Rutgers does?

I dont think they will get to the title game unless something similiar to what Hewson posted happens. If someone like Florida wins out, they should be there. I know this keeps getting thrown out there. But honestly, do you think if Rutgers played in the SEC they would be undefeated for the whole season? I would say the odds are strongly against it. The Big East is improved I will admit. But its basically three teams (Sorry, Pittsburgh, S. Florida, etc are not great teams even though their records are decent) and only one of the 3 good teams played a "decent" non conference opponent from a good conference and that was Louisville who played Miami. Miami is a decent opponent but lets face it, they are not great this year either. If Rutgers wins out they deserve the BCS bid they will get. But I'm not sure about going to the title game.

Here is a scenario that could happen though. If the team that wins the title game has one loss AND Rutgers goes undefeated and wins their BCS bowl game against a good opponent. They MAY get the AP poll number 1. So you would have a split national champion. Sort of like what happened a few years ago with LSU won the BCS game but USC was voted AP number 1.

I agree, there needs to be some type of playoff. None of this would be an issue then. Except you would still have issues over what teams get to make the playoff. Unforetunately its not going to happen anytime soon.
__________________
Blue Room is offline  
Old 11-10-2006, 05:46 PM   #160
War Child
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Wallyworld
Posts: 571
Local Time: 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
the only question that matters of course is wether or not the state of new jersey will be willing to pony up the cash to keep him from bouncing to miami after this season
After the events of the last season and a half at "Da U" I would be surprised if Schiano would take that job. Even though he was on the staff there previously.

He has built a nice little program that is still on the rise. He gets to work with smart kids that you'll find on the honor roll, not the police blotter.
__________________
Clark W. Griswold, Jr is offline  
Old 11-10-2006, 05:46 PM   #161
ONE
love, blood, life
 
zonelistener's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: six convenient metro locations
Posts: 14,747
Local Time: 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

That's pretty sweet.

I find this whole Rutgers run quite miraculous! I remember having a friend drag me to a Rutgers game un college at Giants Stafium. What a painful experience.

Ha! go SUNJ!
__________________
zonelistener is offline  
Old 11-10-2006, 05:58 PM   #162
War Child
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Wallyworld
Posts: 571
Local Time: 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
83 to 86
1986 was my freshman year at PSU. The Rutgers game was the first game I attended as a student, so he probably was on the field that day. I'm sorry if hit him with a marshmellow. Ah the good ole days....
__________________
Clark W. Griswold, Jr is offline  
Old 11-10-2006, 06:20 PM   #163
War Child
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Wallyworld
Posts: 571
Local Time: 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Room


Rutgers wont be the only undefeated team though. Michigan or Ohio State is most likely going to be undefeated. The winner of that game is going to the title game. So its a battle for the #2 slot basically. Then there is Boise State who is also undefeated. There is no way they get to the title game. They will be lucky to get a BCS bid. But why dont they deserve it if Rutgers does?

I dont think they will get to the title game unless something similiar to what Hewson posted happens. If someone like Florida wins out, they should be there. I know this keeps getting thrown out there. But honestly, do you think if Rutgers played in the SEC they would be undefeated for the whole season? I would say the odds are strongly against it. The Big East is improved I will admit. But its basically three teams (Sorry, Pittsburgh, S. Florida, etc are not great teams even though their records are decent) and only one of the 3 good teams played a "decent" non conference opponent from a good conference and that was Louisville who played Miami. Miami is a decent opponent but lets face it, they are not great this year either. If Rutgers wins out they deserve the BCS bid they will get. But I'm not sure about going to the title game.

Here is a scenario that could happen though. If the team that wins the title game has one loss AND Rutgers goes undefeated and wins their BCS bowl game against a good opponent. They MAY get the AP poll number 1. So you would have a split national champion. Sort of like what happened a few years ago with LSU won the BCS game but USC was voted AP number 1.

I agree, there needs to be some type of playoff. None of this would be an issue then. Except you would still have issues over what teams get to make the playoff. Unforetunately its not going to happen anytime soon.
I'm not doubting the difference in conference strength between the BE and the others. But already this season WVU and Louisville have reached the point in the BCS standings where they were in great shape to play in the championship game before they lost. Despite what the talking heads had to say about it.

The BE is as strong as its ever going to get this year. L'ville, WVU and Rutgers all have as good a team as they've ever had- and its happening all at once, like planets all lining up. That and wins over Miami, Maryland, and other BCS conference members like Ill and UNC have the league positioned well in the computers. Sagarin has the BE as the #2 conf in the nation as of right now. Do I believe that? No way. But it is what it is.

I see Rutgers being no worse than #4-6 in the BCS after this weekend.
__________________
Clark W. Griswold, Jr is offline  
Old 11-10-2006, 06:37 PM   #164
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,414
Local Time: 03:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13
Hook em, Rutgers!

A National Championship berth is getting less and less far fetched.
I might add I meant for us. I think Clark thinks I meant for Rutgers. Rutgers won't play in the NC game and I don't believe they should.

Michael Wilbon guaransheeded Northwestern beating OSU this week. Skip Bayless chose Michigan/Texas as his NC game, and Woody Paige picked OSU/Florida. The pundits are divided, but no one so far (at least on all the shows I watched today) believes that Rutgers belongs in the NC hunt.

I do think they deserve a BCS bowl if they remain undefeated, though.
__________________
impy13 is offline  
Old 11-10-2006, 06:53 PM   #165
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Blue Room's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: MICHIGAN, GO BLUE!
Posts: 7,612
Local Time: 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Clark W. Griswold, Jr


I'm not doubting the difference in conference strength between the BE and the others. But already this season WVU and Louisville have reached the point in the BCS standings where they were in great shape to play in the championship game before they lost. Despite what the talking heads had to say about it.

The BE is as strong as its ever going to get this year. L'ville, WVU and Rutgers all have as good a team as they've ever had- and its happening all at once, like planets all lining up. That and wins over Miami, Maryland, and other BCS conference members like Ill and UNC have the league positioned well in the computers. Sagarin has the BE as the #2 conf in the nation as of right now. Do I believe that? No way. But it is what it is.

I see Rutgers being no worse than #4-6 in the BCS after this weekend.
I would guess they will be ranked 6th. Like you said though previously. A LONG way to go. So many things can happen. The other factor is a team like FL and TX play a conf. championship game, they win, it helps them alot with the computers. Another outside factor is Cal or USC. Either wins out (especially USC) they will be right up there also. USC would have to beat Cal, Oregon, Notre Dame and UCLA. They get all those wins and then factor in their Arkansas win at the beginning of the year. They will be right there. I just dont see Rutgers overcoming that kind of competition. It is feasible, but unlikely IMO. They still have to get by West Virginia anyway. That wont be easy for them.
__________________

__________________
Blue Room is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com