Collective Soul

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheBrush

War Child
They are my second favorite band closely behind you know who. I first got into them after Dosage and have been hooked ever since. When ever I bring them up everyone I know is like who? But then they hear seven or eight of their number one hit s and I get ohhh I didnt know that was them.

Few bands are decent after changing members let alone a lead guitarist(and now drummer)and I think CS is one of the few who could survive this. Especially when the reason for the guitarist leaving was that he got engaged to the lead singers exwife.

Does anyone else dig them??? I have seen them live twice (both times within walking distance of my house). They put on an excellent show and Ed Roland has quite a stage pressence.

i got into them right before dosage and wasn't too fond of the album they released after that (blender). i saw them live right before blender came out though, they weren't bad.

Yea Blender was there Pop if you will.

It wasnt well received and There last album Youth was a much better effort IMO. I think now that their new Guitarist Joel Koesche has an album under his belt the will be on the up once again.

i love their self-titled cd, and dosage was good too. their last 2 efforts (blender and youth) i havent liked at all. on the whole, i think theyre a good band, but maybe past their prime. hopefully theyll come out with something soon to prove me wrong.

I've really only heard 1 CD of theirs, and the title escapes me. It's the one with 'December'. I liked it - the album was alright. I may have heard a couple of other songs of theirs on the radio... Hard to hear anything on the radio nowadays, at least where I am... :shrug:

Lila64 said:
I've really only heard 1 CD of theirs, and the title escapes me. It's the one with 'December'. I liked it - the album was alright. I may have heard a couple of other songs of theirs on the radio... Hard to hear anything on the radio nowadays, at least where I am... :shrug:
the album's called collective soul :wink:

I thought Blender was a good album myself. Had a lot of great tunes on it, particularly the first three.

I haven't heard the new one yet except for the songs that were on the radio.

I remember hearing songs like "Run" and "Shine" and that from them on the radio a lot when I was younger. So weird to think those songs are, like, at or close to 10 years old now or something. I always liked those songs, I thought the lead singer had an interesting voice.

I've only heard a couple of their newer songs-one of the two, can't recall its name, sounds to me like a cross between their old song "Run" and Coldplay's "Yellow". It's not that bad a song, though.

Angela

TheBrush said:

Few bands are decent after changing members let alone a lead guitarist(and now drummer)and I think CS is one of the few who could survive this. Especially when the reason for the guitarist leaving was that he got engaged to the lead singers exwife.

Wow....I didn't know all that stuff, I've heard that the lead guitarrist was leaving after blender but didn't know the reasons why, and I haven't heard about the drummer, I've got all their cds and I've liked them since hint, allegations and things left unsaid...or something like that :huh: except the greatest hits and the last one which was live that I keep forgetting to buy

Anyway never seen them live, and they have never come to Mexico except for once that they opened for Bon Jovi at the Foro Sol but I can't remember why I didn't went

I like CS....not a huge fan, but those guys can make some really good songs.

I saw them live at the South Street Seaport in downtown Manhattan for free. This was right when Shine was moving up the charts. Many moons ago.

I like them, they are a good live band. I have seen them live twice, both were excellent shows. I dont care for the Blender album either. The rest of their albums are very good though.

They do a great hard rocking cover of I Will Follow sometimes.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
I saw them perform before they hit it with Shine. It was at a small bar down in Statesboro, GA in 1994.

They are from Atlanta aren't they? What was your impression of them back then?

Thinking about it, have seen them 3 times technically not twice. I saw them open for Van Halen in 1995 also, forgot about that one. They were pretty good then also, but much better a few years later when they were headlining.

Last edited:
I love Collective Soul. I have every album except Youth, which I'll get soon. They were even my favorite back in the day. Even more than U2 really. I wish I'd had gone to see them live...

I heard the song "Blame" live on my friend's computer once and the guitar solo was outstanding. It's on Disciplined Breakdown #5. Wow though...still give me chills.

Disciplined Breakdown is their best album IMO.

The guitar work on it is mind blowing.

I have all of their albums and would rank them accordingly...

1-Disciplined Breakdown
2-Self Titled
3-Dosage
4-Youth
5-Hints Allegations and things left Unsaid
6-Blender
7-From the Ground up

I dont think Blender is a bad album. It has Why pt. 2 and Over Tokyo on it. Two amazing songs, but the rest of their albums are so good something that is simply average appears poor.

Ed and most of the Band are HUGE U2 fans and you can hear it in their music. Im not saying they are trying to be U2. I just mean you can tell it has influenced them in some aspects.

Their Greatest Hits CD is worth getting for the casual fan to give a nice sampling of how versatile they are. It also has two new songs on it that unlike many bands that put new songs on a greatest hits...these dont suck!!!

My top CS songs are....

1- Why pt. 2
2- Compliment
3- Needs
4- Counting The Days
5- Blame
6- Heavy
7- Listen
8- How Do You Love
9- The World I Know
10- Where The River Flows

you are right they are huge u2 fans, I have a live cover of new year's day or I will follow...don't remember which one, and the new guitarist has definetly edge influence in his playing in Youth, especially Under Heaven Skies, silver notes with distortion and delay, I love playing that solo

Mofo said:
you are right they are huge u2 fans, I have a live cover of new year's day or I will follow...don't remember which one, and the new guitarist has definetly edge influence in his playing in Youth, especially Under Heaven Skies, silver notes with distortion and delay, I love playing that solo

I believe its I Will Follow. I have an FM broadcast of a 1999 show they did where they cover it. They also do a cover of Crazy Train by Ozzy.

When I saw them on the Disciplined Breakdown tour they also did a cover of The Beatles Revolution that was excellent as well.

TheBrush said:

Ed and most of the Band are HUGE U2 fans and you can hear it in their music. Im not saying they are trying to be U2. I just mean you can tell it has influenced them in some aspects.

I have always thought of them as sort of a cross between Van Halen and U2.

TheBrush said:

My top CS songs are....

1- Why pt. 2

One of my favorites as well. To this day, I still don't understand why this wasn't a bigger hit. I mean, it did alright, but nothing like some of the older stuff, and I thought it would be huge. Shows how much I know.

TheBrush said:
Disciplined Breakdown is their best album IMO.

The guitar work on it is mind blowing.

I have all of their albums and would rank them accordingly...

1-Disciplined Breakdown
2-Self Titled
3-Dosage
4-Youth
5-Hints Allegations and things left Unsaid
6-Blender
7-From the Ground up

I dont think Blender is a bad album. It has Why pt. 2 and Over Tokyo on it. Two amazing songs, but the rest of their albums are so good something that is simply average appears poor.

Their Greatest Hits CD is worth getting for the casual fan to give a nice sampling of how versatile they are. It also has two new songs on it that unlike many bands that put new songs on a greatest hits...these dont suck!!!

My top CS songs are....

1- Why pt. 2
2- Compliment
3- Needs
4- Counting The Days
5- Blame
6- Heavy
7- Listen
8- How Do You Love
9- The World I Know
10- Where The River Flows

"Compliment" is one of the best songs ever!! My little girl and I sing it together. She thinks the song is called "And There It Goes." She's always asking me to play it in the car.

Livi

Live CD will be out in early February and How do you Love is currently playing on the radio :yes:

:rockon:

I've been a CS fan for several years now, maybe 5 or 6. I saw CS here in Chicago at the House of Blues back in Aug 2004, before Youth was released- was a great show. They opened with 'Heavy' from Dosage and that blew me away. My favorite part of that show was a version of 'December' that started off slower than the album version (much like the acoustic 'December' on From the Ground Up) then the song really picked up steam and was really truckin' by the end.

I also saw them this year at a free July 4th weekend show in Naperville, IL (suburb southwest of Chicago) and they snuck in 'Compliment', another one of my CS favs. I never thought I'd hear that song live at a free show- figured they'd play all the radio hits.

Right now, favorite CS songs, in no particular order, are:

Perfect to Stay
December
Needs
Heavy
Why Pt 2
Energy
Precious Declaration

I just remembered the first time seeing CS on tv was a showtime live concert special or something of that nature and the Ed Roland was wearing huge fly shades like Bono and I thought they were the same group. Does anyone know that show that I'm talking about?

i saw them open for aerosmith in 1994, my first concert. so i suppose they were the first live act i ever saw.

Back
Top Bottom