Collective Soul - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2005, 06:52 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 12:22 PM
I saw them perform before they hit it with Shine. It was at a small bar down in Statesboro, GA in 1994.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:34 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by MissVelvetDress_75
I saw them perform before they hit it with Shine. It was at a small bar down in Statesboro, GA in 1994.
They are from Atlanta aren't they? What was your impression of them back then?

Thinking about it, have seen them 3 times technically not twice. I saw them open for Van Halen in 1995 also, forgot about that one. They were pretty good then also, but much better a few years later when they were headlining.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:36 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Yeah they are from a town south of Atlanta. I thought they were really good. I however was annoyed that several drunk guys decided to start a mosh pit next to me, which prompted a fight with b/w my male friends (because I was shoved by a guy with a bloody head ) and those fools.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:19 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:22 PM
I love Collective Soul. I have every album except Youth, which I'll get soon. They were even my favorite back in the day. Even more than U2 really. I wish I'd had gone to see them live...

I heard the song "Blame" live on my friend's computer once and the guitar solo was outstanding. It's on Disciplined Breakdown #5. Wow though...still give me chills.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:09 AM   #20
War Child

Disciplined Breakdown is their best album IMO.

The guitar work on it is mind blowing.

I have all of their albums and would rank them accordingly...

1-Disciplined Breakdown
2-Self Titled
3-Dosage
4-Youth
5-Hints Allegations and things left Unsaid
6-Blender
7-From the Ground up

I dont think Blender is a bad album. It has Why pt. 2 and Over Tokyo on it. Two amazing songs, but the rest of their albums are so good something that is simply average appears poor.

Ed and most of the Band are HUGE U2 fans and you can hear it in their music. Im not saying they are trying to be U2. I just mean you can tell it has influenced them in some aspects.

Their Greatest Hits CD is worth getting for the casual fan to give a nice sampling of how versatile they are. It also has two new songs on it that unlike many bands that put new songs on a greatest hits...these dont suck!!!

My top CS songs are....

1- Why pt. 2
2- Compliment
3- Needs
4- Counting The Days
5- Blame
6- Heavy
7- Listen
8- How Do You Love
9- The World I Know
10- Where The River Flows
Old 12-30-2005, 07:02 AM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 11:22 AM
you are right they are huge u2 fans, I have a live cover of new year's day or I will follow...don't remember which one, and the new guitarist has definetly edge influence in his playing in Youth, especially Under Heaven Skies, silver notes with distortion and delay, I love playing that solo
Old 12-30-2005, 11:48 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Mofo
you are right they are huge u2 fans, I have a live cover of new year's day or I will follow...don't remember which one, and the new guitarist has definetly edge influence in his playing in Youth, especially Under Heaven Skies, silver notes with distortion and delay, I love playing that solo
I believe its I Will Follow. I have an FM broadcast of a 1999 show they did where they cover it. They also do a cover of Crazy Train by Ozzy.

When I saw them on the Disciplined Breakdown tour they also did a cover of The Beatles Revolution that was excellent as well.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:50 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBrush

Ed and most of the Band are HUGE U2 fans and you can hear it in their music. Im not saying they are trying to be U2. I just mean you can tell it has influenced them in some aspects.

I have always thought of them as sort of a cross between Van Halen and U2.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:08 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

My top CS songs are....

1- Why pt. 2
One of my favorites as well. To this day, I still don't understand why this wasn't a bigger hit. I mean, it did alright, but nothing like some of the older stuff, and I thought it would be huge. Shows how much I know.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:53 PM   #25
The Fly

Local Time: 10:22 AM
Quote:
Disciplined Breakdown is their best album IMO.

The guitar work on it is mind blowing.

I have all of their albums and would rank them accordingly...

1-Disciplined Breakdown
2-Self Titled
3-Dosage
4-Youth
5-Hints Allegations and things left Unsaid
6-Blender
7-From the Ground up

I dont think Blender is a bad album. It has Why pt. 2 and Over Tokyo on it. Two amazing songs, but the rest of their albums are so good something that is simply average appears poor.

Their Greatest Hits CD is worth getting for the casual fan to give a nice sampling of how versatile they are. It also has two new songs on it that unlike many bands that put new songs on a greatest hits...these dont suck!!!

My top CS songs are....

1- Why pt. 2
2- Compliment
3- Needs
4- Counting The Days
5- Blame
6- Heavy
7- Listen
8- How Do You Love
9- The World I Know
10- Where The River Flows

"Compliment" is one of the best songs ever!! My little girl and I sing it together. She thinks the song is called "And There It Goes." She's always asking me to play it in the car.

Livi
Old 01-10-2006, 01:30 PM   #26
War Child

Local Time: 03:22 AM
Live CD will be out in early February and How do you Love is currently playing on the radio

Old 01-11-2006, 01:58 AM   #27
Refugee

I've been a CS fan for several years now, maybe 5 or 6. I saw CS here in Chicago at the House of Blues back in Aug 2004, before Youth was released- was a great show. They opened with 'Heavy' from Dosage and that blew me away. My favorite part of that show was a version of 'December' that started off slower than the album version (much like the acoustic 'December' on From the Ground Up) then the song really picked up steam and was really truckin' by the end.

I also saw them this year at a free July 4th weekend show in Naperville, IL (suburb southwest of Chicago) and they snuck in 'Compliment', another one of my CS favs. I never thought I'd hear that song live at a free show- figured they'd play all the radio hits.

Right now, favorite CS songs, in no particular order, are:

Perfect to Stay
December
Needs
Heavy
Why Pt 2
Energy
Precious Declaration
Old 01-11-2006, 02:02 AM   #28
Refugee

I just remembered the first time seeing CS on tv was a showtime live concert special or something of that nature and the Ed Roland was wearing huge fly shades like Bono and I thought they were the same group. Does anyone know that show that I'm talking about?
Old 01-12-2006, 01:36 AM   #29
Refugee

Local Time: 05:22 PM
i saw them open for aerosmith in 1994, my first concert. so i suppose they were the first live act i ever saw.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:20 AM   #30
War Child

CS on leno next