Colds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegannie

Blue Crack Addict
I think I'm getting a cold. :| I'm taking tons of vitamin C and my regular daily vitamin. Does anyone know any other ways of stopping it, or at least lessening it's severity/length? I'm desperate. It's a BAD, BAD time to be sick. :( :sad:

My mom is a big believer in garlic. I'll pop a few of the odorless tablets while I'm still feeling crummy and it seems to help the cold pass sooner. Hope you're all better soon! :hug:

Drink loads of liquids
Chicken Soup
Sleep loads
Lemsips or whatever flu medecine its called there

Try to get a lot of sleep and eat healthy.

I always try to psych myself out of getting a cold. I tell myself "I'm not getting sick, I'm not getting sick," and I'd like to think that it works (mind over matter), although I don't really know.

Zinc lozenges work best for me and my family. The most common brand is probably Cold Eeze. Some people find they upset your stomach a little if you don't take them with food. I really don't like the Cold Eeze brand, I actually prefer the off-brands, like Target's own brand of Zinc Lozenges. Although I just recently found and bought (but haven't tried yet) Cold Eeze gum (cinnamon flavor) which looks pretty good.

The Cold Eeze was developed by a man who's daughter was HIV positive and kept getting sick all the time because of her immune system being low. Zinc helps increase your immune system.

Usually you'll find them in the cold remedy section near the caugh drops or sometimes near the vitamins. Ask the pharmacist if you can't find them. It's best to take them when you first feel the symptoms coming on.

And of course lots of sleep helps and good old vitamin C.

:hug: meggy hope you don't get sick!

It's been going around where I work but I haven't gotten sick yet, although last week I did sort of feel like I was coming down with something, but I feel fine now.

Last edited:
ABEL said:
Zinc lozenges work best for me and my family. The most common brand is probably Cold Eeze. Some people find they upset your stomach a little if you don't take them with food. I really don't like the Cold Eeze brand, I actually prefer the off-brands, like Target's own brand of Zinc Lozenges. Although I just recently found and bought (but haven't tried yet) Cold Eeze gum (cinnamon flavor) which looks pretty good.

The Cold Eeze was developed by a man who's daughter was HIV positive and kept getting sick all the time because of her immune system being low. Zinc helps increase your immune system.

Usually you'll find them in the cold remedy section near the caugh drops or sometimes near the vitamins. Ask the pharmacist if you can't find them. It's best to take them when you first feel the symptoms coming on.

And of course lots of sleep helps and good old vitamin C.

:hug: meggy hope you don't get sick!

It's been going around where I work but I haven't gotten sick yet, although last week I did sort of feel like I was coming down with something, but I feel fine now.

cold-eeze definitely help. (or any other zinc lozenges, i would presume).

LEMONS lemons LeMoNs and whatever else you can afford...big bowl of TLC helps..a lot

lemon juice- dries up mucus (eewww but true, this time will pass)I know it's not funny........but laughter , the best medicine?
for a cold use ginger , fenugreek, steam inhalation
for a cough use liquorice, peppermint
sore throat-sage and thyme

Vit C, echinacea, chest rub:eyebrow: sage and thyme mixed with almond oil. Lemon grass tea,. Ear ache- garlic oil(couple of drops) mixed with olive oil, cotton ball in your ear(it works)
Sinus drainage massage.down either side of your nose and neck...gently.
Vege soups , lots of water, and rest , good rest, like really really slow right down...no peeking at PLEBA( toomuch excitement) actaully no, that is too tough.....good for the soul, gets the blood pumping:mac:
any or all or none of the above. they are the natural and cheap after initial set-up costs that i know to do. my boys believe in that steam inhalation treatment. Believing helps..it all does
Good luck
O
and honey to taste:tongue: seriously, in it's natural form, it is a very healing substance....precious gift imho, lemons2
and if it's the flu' go to bed. go directly to bed, do not pass interference, do not collect $200
OK I'll stop already...you're REALLY ill now eh?:wave:

I had to really rush that(sneaking on line agin(

so PLEASE, get a book from the library if you are interested in natural therapies. You soak the fenugreek seeds andf grated ginger in hot water and mix it with lemon jiuce and honey and garlic and chili...if you are game.
But you still need to take care with natural products...the pre-made lozenges are maybe a safer easier option.

:hug: what everyone else said...i second the zinc!! (i forgot about that stuff - it's good :) ) And we'll get someone to get you the other options if it becomes necessary. ;)

how you doing up there meg?

It RAINED!!!!!:dance: :hyper: :bow: :happy: :dance: here on the weekend, light showers..at last. So too precious to waste, so I was out in th erain until dark with the liquid fertilizer. Cold and chilly makes cass a sick girl:(
so I suppose now I have to take a dose of my own medicine:madspit: much easy to give advice than take it...I always find. Oh the pain , the pain.........

Back
Top Bottom