Coldplay's 'Fix You' video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndrewT

The Fly
Anyone caught the new Coldplay video for 'Fix You'.

It's so similar to U2's video for 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own', except Chris Martin doesn't have the requisite magnetism to keep me interested all by himself for a few minutes like Bono can, and the directing is nowhere as good.

Similarities are:
1) Lead singer walks alone along a street with a contemplative look on his face for most of the song, followed by...
2) Triumphant full band ending!!

ah fuck coldplay, I'm sick of 'em.

can't do a damn thing on their own.

I love the new video, mostly because of the song itself... but I must say that I am not surprised by it at all... it's good old, standard stuff from Coldplay

I do, however, really like the audience sing-along inclusion at the end of the video :up:

So, I like the video... but I won't be watching it that many times

The amount of videos you could say U2 copied when they released that tired and incredibly derivative video are endless, I can even think of a few hair metal videos from the '80's that had similar formulas.

Whoops, did I just make a comment insinuating U2 isnt all that original themselves???!!!!! How could I? You mean they didnt invent rock, guitars, music videos, lighting, and even music itself???!!!!! :|

Last edited:
AndrewT said:
Anyone caught the new Coldplay video for 'Fix You'.

It's so similar to U2's video for 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own', except Chris Martin doesn't have the requisite magnetism to keep me interested all by himself for a few minutes like Bono can, and the directing is nowhere as good.

Similarities are:
1) Lead singer walks alone along a street with a contemplative look on his face for most of the song, followed by...
2) Triumphant full band ending!!

:lmao: you've got to be kidding me.

Why did they release such a boring song as a single anyway?

Wait, why is Coldplay still around?

I liked their first two albums. That was when they were just influenced by U2. Now they've crossed the line and are TRYING to become U2. The only thing stopping them is they're trying to become Radiohead and Oasis, too. And somehow even though they're emulating three of the greatest bands of the last decade or two, they still end up being incredibly boring!

Well, I like the video. And the crowd singing at the end :up:

and, it's not the first time Coldplay has made a video of Chris walking by himself, they have done the same kind of thing way before the SYCMIOYO video. Anyone remember the Yellow video? And I believe it was the video for The Scientist was also Chris walking alone.

sami0201 said:
Well, I like the video. And the crowd singing at the end :up:

and, it's not the first time Coldplay has made a video of Chris walking by himself, they have done the same kind of thing way before the SYCMIOYO video. Anyone remember the Yellow video? And I believe it was the video for The Scientist was also Chris walking alone.

You're right. Coldplay has made other "camera in front" walking videos. However, what makes the Fix You video a direct copy of U2's SYCMIOYO is the reuniting with the band at the end.

I'm not much of a video watcher, but this sounds pretty much like standard issue video...from a LOT of bands. There is only so much you can do with a video after all. :shrug:

u2popmofo said:
The amount of videos you could say U2 copied when they released that tired and incredibly derivative video are endless, I can even think of a few hair metal videos from the '80's that had similar formulas.

Whoops, did I just make a comment insinuating U2 isnt all that original themselves???!!!!! How could I? You mean they didnt invent rock, guitars, music videos, lighting, and even music itself???!!!!! :|

let us all take a moment and thank jesus (or your personal savior of choice) for u2popmofo's response to this thread.

most of the other replies should be deleted and this thread should be closed.

Have you guys seen the Beatles' "Get Back" video? IT TOTALLY RIPS OFF "WHERE THE STREETS HAVE NO NAME."

FUCK YOU, PAUL MCCARTNEY. WHAT KIND OF WEIRDO NAMES HIS RECORD COMPANY APPLE ANYWAY.

Props to mofo, MVD, lmj, 7, indra, typhoon, and all those who realize what a crock this thread is. THIS is why I swore I wouldn't open any more Coldplay threads in this forum for the rest of the year. But no, like a moron, I thought people might actually be complimenting the video or the song.

You people have got to get past the Coldplay copying U2 thing. "The lead singer walks alone, and then there's the whole band at the end!" OMG! It's damn near plagiarism! :rolleyes:

There is nothing new under the sun, especially in the realm of the art form of the short music video. Like indra said, there are really only so many things you can do. Coldplay have more respect for themselves as a band than to sit and analyze every step U2 makes, and then try to replicate it. If they were copying them so blatantly, there would be a lawsuit. Coldplay sampled Kraftwerk on their new album and paid for the rights to do so. They are very deliberate when they know they are using someone else's original idea.

To perpetuate the idea that Coldplay won't scratch their asses without finding out how U2 scratch their asses first is nothing more than U2 fans being abnormally possessive of their favorite band and egotistical to think that U2 are all that original and worthy of being copied. Please, people, you've got to let it go.

typhoon said:
Have you guys seen the Beatles' "Get Back" video? IT TOTALLY RIPS OFF "WHERE THE STREETS HAVE NO NAME."

FUCK YOU, PAUL MCCARTNEY. WHAT KIND OF WEIRDO NAMES HIS RECORD COMPANY APPLE ANYWAY.

:lmao:

HeartlandGirl said:

Coldplay won't scratch their asses without finding out how U2 scratch their asses first

:yikes:

Now that is a scary image.... :ohmy:

HeartlandGirl said:
To perpetuate the idea that Coldplay won't scratch their asses without finding out how U2 scratch their asses first is nothing more than U2 fans being abnormally possessive of their favorite band and egotistical to think that U2 are all that original and worthy of being copied. Please, people, you've got to let it go.

:up:

At first it seemed like a Scientist rehash, except not backwards. I love how during the second verse some of the Baudot code is being shown on a building in the background, although I haven't decoded it yet.

Anyways, it felt too Scientisty to me, but the climax of the song totally redeemed the video. Loved the swinging lightbulb for some reason. Loved the crowd singalong despite them botching the vocal pattern of the very end of the song.

I like it more than the Speed of Sound video, for sure. I still think The Scientist is their best video though.

Liked it a lot :up:

Back
Top Bottom