Coldplay X&Y: Best U2 record U2 never made. I miss U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laurent24

The Fly
The quote is not mine but from journalists who have heard the new record and I hate to say it but the new Coldplay single Speed of sound sounds incredibly good. Sounds a bit like when U2 worked for the first time with Eno and Lanois. I miss the days of The Unforgetable Fire and The Joshua Tree. These records sounded so fresh and monumental. "How to dismantle an atomic bomb"is not a bad record but is by no means a classic. It won't be remembered and I find it very painfull to say because I am such a big fan.
Coldplay will never be able to touch U2 when it comes to playing live because U2 is still the best live band in the world but the new music is not special anymore. I remember hearing "Where the streets have no name" for the first time or "Bad"from the live EP. Such emotional music.
Those days are gone. Yes, I probably belong to that small group of fans that Larry told in an interview wanted to keep for themselves. I don't want them to compete with Britney or Christina.

well, as much as I have poo-pooed the new U2 album, it's certainly better than what Coldplay would turn out at 45 years old. And I love Coldplay ... but you have to keep in mind it's not a fair fight anymore.

Hmmm... I haven't listened to the CD yet but this is an interesting thought. I've never heard U2-Coldplay comparisons before. You'd think there were DOZENS of threads on this, but I guess not.

:wink:

I've heard Speed of Sound that that song "Talk" that leaked a few days ago, and to me they're the exact same song. Its good, but its the same thing.

the jury is out until the release of the new coldplay album.

if it's full of songs like speed of sound, it's over for them.

if it's actually diverse and deeper they stand a chance.

but remember, they've gotta release 10 great records and u2 has to stop making them in order for the contest to be decided.

I'm not a betting man, but coldplay don't stand a chance imo.

and I consider myself a fan.

btw, htdaab is a great record, what the fuck are you bitching about?
it's leagues better than anything coldplay has done.

KhanadaRhodes said:
why does every new band in the world have to be compared to U2?

I believe coldplay has been out since 2000 at least.

that's 5 years.

HTDAAB is mediocre.

As is Speed of Sound.

Have no idea about the rest of the Coldplay album as I haven't heard anything but the single.

I do not believe Coldplay as an Achtung Baby in them. Or a Joshua Tree. Or a Zooropa. You get my drift. So discussion over.

I haven't heard Speed of Sound yet, so I guess I can't judge, but as far as I'm concerned Coldplay can never even touch U2. Don't get me wrong, I like, even love Coldplay. Don't Panic is a really, really, really amazing song to me. Just beautiful. I have both of their albums (Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head) as well as the song Moses (also brilliant, and also one of the most blatantly-U2 influenced. Everything about this song screams "U2 fanboys!") and I enjoy them all. Coldplay can reach a higher level for me...but U2 goes higher than heaven. In the grand scheme of things there's no way Coldplay will be able to overtake U2 until they're dead and gone, and even then I don't think any band will be quite like U2.

Perhaps I'm wrong... we'll see what kind of records Coldplay release 20 years from now :)

speed of sound is very ordinary. Don't get me wrong, it's a likeable song, but is missing someting extraordinary.

I have to agree that HTDAAB is not their best. I first heard it and thought :| I read the lyric sheet and thought :| I like it now cos I've played a zillion times, and some songs more than others have grown on me (COBL, ABOY, Yahweh) but it never gave me those goosebumps JT and AB did.

But that's OK, they can't all be brilliant.

I think Coldplay keeps getting singled out for the U2 comparison cos they're about the only newish band at the mo' who seem to have that same kind of "integrity" for a better word, that U2 have. They're not manufactured, they're unusual (cos their lead instrument is the piano) AND they can appeal to the masses. I don't think there's any other band out there who can compete.

Cuz Coldplay's guitarist nicks ideas from 80s Edge. That's where the comparison begins, IMO. I think Speed of Sound is alright but whenever I listen to it, all of sudden I'm always reminded of Talk b/c of the melody. If I hadn't listened to Talk, Speed of Sound would have made a greater impact IMO. Damn the internet and my downloading ways! :mad:

I like Coldplay and believe Rush of Blood to the Head holds up well against the likes of U2 classics such as War and Unforgettable Fire. I like Parachutes as much as HTDAAB or any other U2 album except for Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby.

Blah blah blah

Is it just me or has this thread managed to take not one but TWO talked-to-death topics and roll into one? I mean, the whining and moaning about the U2 of now AND the mention of of the CP/U2 thing in the SAME thread?

Well done, well done.

[/sarcasm]

namkcuR said:
Blah blah blah

Is it just me or has this thread managed to take not one but TWO talked-to-death topics and roll into one? I mean, the whining and moaning about the U2 of now AND the mention of of the CP/U2 thing in the SAME thread?

Well done, well done.

[/sarcasm]

Ah, and now the sarcastic response that complains about the bad threads. That makes three now, I guess. :wink:

blueeyedgirl said:
I think Coldplay keeps getting singled out for the U2 comparison cos they're about the only newish band at the mo' who seem to have that same kind of "integrity" for a better word, that U2 have. They're not manufactured, they're unusual (cos their lead instrument is the piano) AND they can appeal to the masses. I don't think there's any other band out there who can compete.

That may be true, but unfortunately Coldplay lack charisma, passion and originality. I just can't see them getting to the U2 level without that.

I go freaking nuts when I listen to HTDAAB, it has more spark and even passion than JT. The only reason I still rank JT ahead of it is because I feel obligated to. Miracle Drug, OOTS, COBL, Yahweh are all in the same league as Bad and WTSHNN. Sometimes is not far behind, and there's some great ROCK songs on HTDAAB that do not exist on JT outside of Bullet. Pardon me, but I think HTDAAB stands toe to toe with JT.

Having said that, Coldplay is a fine band. I will listen to their music as it is being made, and not make some projection as to what type of albums they'll be making in 5, 10, or 20 years. So I can't say just how good they will be, I don't think anyone does.

There's a new song that Coldplay has, called "White Shadows" and it sounds almost exactly like a U2 song. That was the live version though, but it I was amazed.

Bono's shades said:

That may be true, but unfortunately Coldplay lack charisma, passion and originality. I just can't see them getting to the U2 level without that.

And a lot of people say that U2 lacks charisma and has been pretty soul-less (2 things I've read in coldplay forums recently).

It all pretty subjective. U2 is my favorite band but I'd have to say that Coldplay have a lot of charisma--definitely more than U2 had with only 2 albums released.

Back
Top Bottom