Coldplay X&Y: Best U2 record U2 never made. I miss U2 - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2005, 03:43 PM   #121
War Child

Local Time: 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl

Agree completely. I even, dare say, that I hear much more of progression between those two albums than "Boy" and "October," or even "Boy" to "War."
Agreed. U2 took much more time to 'grow' than Coldplay has. Coldplay has done in two albums what U2 took 3-4 to do (change their sound considerably).

Old 05-18-2005, 03:48 PM   #122
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by zwervers2
I don;t see how Coldplay can be compared to U2 for a couple of reasons.....

1)
U2 released their first 5 records in +- 7 years
Coldplay has released 2 albums plus the new one in 5 years...give it 3 years for the next one so 4 records in 8 years.

2)
Bono vs Chris Martin (songwriter)

at the age of 26 bono has penned down boy, october, war, uf, the joshua tree....if you look at the classics of those albums: i will follow, unforgettable fire, sbs, new yearsday, pride, bad, streets, with or without, still haven't found it's unbelievable...and those are classics for the non diehards...

Coldplay classics up till this point: yellow, in my place, clocks, trouble...a very mediocre speed of light is not a instant classic like in my place which when I first heared it struck me like a lightningstorm(very impressive first single)
Let's remember that the music scene was much different in the early 80s than it was today. Look at any band today and there are much larger gaps between records than there were 25 years ago. Up until probably the last 15 years it was customary for an artist to release albums fairly quickly. Now, each album is such a huge marketing production that it's an EVENT and there is much more pressure on the artist to make every album THE album.

October was released a year after Boy. It shows. It's a weak album. If Coldplay released an 'October'-like album after Parachutes, in this music environment, they would never have the chance to release a third. The music industry is much more fickle today. Bono has said that in speeches - he has said, 'A band like U2 could never exist today.' And he's absolutely right. Coldplay, nor any other band, could release an album every single year and maintain the quality necessary to compete in today's market.

Also, keep in mind that U2 did not achieve 'Coldplay-like' fame until roughly 1984-1985. Since they were mostly an indie act up until War/Unforgettable Fire they had much more time to focus on album writing and much less pressure for every album to be huge. What happened after Unforgettable Fire? Albums were spaced much further apart (with the exceptions of JT-R & H and AB-Zooropa, but in both cases the second albums in these pairings were semi-throwaways.) A typical U2 album takes about 4 years to gestate these days.

Cut Coldplay some slack. This isn't 1980. Times have changed.

-Miggy

Old 05-18-2005, 04:01 PM   #123
The Fly

Local Time: 10:55 PM
Radiohead's Bend

Is the only album I wish U2 had done.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:48 AM   #124
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Miggy D

Let's remember that the music scene was much different in the early 80s than it was today. Look at any band today and there are much larger gaps between records than there were 25 years ago. Up until probably the last 15 years it was customary for an artist to release albums fairly quickly. Now, each album is such a huge marketing production that it's an EVENT and there is much more pressure on the artist to make every album THE album.

October was released a year after Boy. It shows. It's a weak album. If Coldplay released an 'October'-like album after Parachutes, in this music environment, they would never have the chance to release a third. The music industry is much more fickle today. Bono has said that in speeches - he has said, 'A band like U2 could never exist today.' And he's absolutely right. Coldplay, nor any other band, could release an album every single year and maintain the quality necessary to compete in today's market.

Also, keep in mind that U2 did not achieve 'Coldplay-like' fame until roughly 1984-1985. Since they were mostly an indie act up until War/Unforgettable Fire they had much more time to focus on album writing and much less pressure for every album to be huge. What happened after Unforgettable Fire? Albums were spaced much further apart (with the exceptions of JT-R & H and AB-Zooropa, but in both cases the second albums in these pairings were semi-throwaways.) A typical U2 album takes about 4 years to gestate these days.

Cut Coldplay some slack. This isn't 1980. Times have changed.

-Miggy
You are absolutely right Miggy when you say times have changed.that's why it's almost impossible to compare. I only wanted to indicate that u2 showed great strenth at a very young age. something that has nothing to do with how the state of music is or was....sbs,nyd pride, uf etc were all written at or before the age of 23, an age when coldplay's first album was released....so in that perspective etc etc...

Coldplay are good but not great, radiohead are great...and I'm wearing a coldplayshirt now.....
Old 05-19-2005, 04:52 AM   #125
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:55 AM
Look, love or loathe Coldplay, you have to admit they are writing some music that is enchanting many people in the world.

People are enjoying it, and one only needs to look into the eyes of the fans on the official Coldplay DVD. They aren't fans of Coldplay because it is a fashionable thing to be, they truly love this band and the sound they are producing.

Like U2, Coldplay are not necessarily a fashionable band. People don't buy their records or see them live based on a desire to be identified as a Coldplay fan.

This pathetic form of fandom is reserved for modern "punk" bands such as Simple Plan, for manufactured artists such as Jesse McCartney, and for "nu-metal" bands such as Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit. (This is not a criticism of Linkin Park, just a criticism of some of the "fans" at their gigs.)

Not many current bands have an album thathas been as eagerly anticipated as X & Y.

Coldplay must be doing something right, and in a world where "image is (almost) everything", I applaud them for being in a band that doesn't necessary conform to a certain sub-genre.

If you don't like their music, that's all ok. I can't say I have much time for the Dave Matthews Band or even the Rolling Stones, yet I could be subjected to the wrath of some interferencers based on my taste in rock and roll.

I, for one, find Coldplay's prescence refreshing in the cruel and bland world of "noughties" music.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:06 AM   #126
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Having not heard the new Coldplay album, i'm not in a position to say whether or not it's better than HTDAAB, but is it really that hard to admit that Coldplay might be capable of producing a better album that U2 this time round? This doesn't make HTDAAB a bad album by default.
In my mind, Coldplay deseve recognition here in their own right for what the material they've put out in the past, the material they're putting out now, and whatever the hell they put out in the future. Every band draws influence from somewhere - better from a band like U2 than someone else who we all don't care for
Old 05-19-2005, 07:59 AM   #127
The Fly

I have to say, having heard most of X&Y, that Speed of Sound is about the best song from the album. I don't think they can follow In My Place or Clocks. Quite surprised at the dislike towards HTDAAB. Imho it's the best album along with Joshua Tree. beau2ifulday, i'll be at the June 19th Twickenham show. Lucky ur going to both!
Old 05-19-2005, 08:11 AM   #128
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by teebee
well, as much as I have poo-pooed the new U2 album, it's certainly better than what Coldplay would turn out at 45 years old. And I love Coldplay ... but you have to keep in mind it's not a fair fight anymore.
I loved UF... not JT.

I love HTDAAB.

If the new Coldplay is like JT, sorry, probably won't like it.

In fact, I haven't liked much Coldplay at all. Loved "Clocks" - bought the CD. Hated everything but "Clocks".

Maybe Coldplay is the "new U2", but as of this moment, they haven't inspired me.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:13 AM   #129
Refugee

Local Time: 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by am22884
I have to say, having heard most of X&Y, that Speed of Sound is about the best song from the album. I don't think they can follow In My Place or Clocks.
Have you heard the live shows or actual studio songs? I've heard some of the live stuff and it's pretty unfair to judge the album on those not-so good recordings.

Speed of Sound the best from the album? Every review I've read so far said that "Speed of Sound" is the bridge track between AROBTTH and X & Y. They have also said the album isn't as immediate at previous Coldplay albums. I personally hope this is the case, because I often find my favorite music takes time to get into. Achtung Baby took a long time for me to really get into, and now it's my favorite album. Pop took a REALLY long time to get into, and it's now my 2nd favorite album. Joshua Tree, on the other hand, was so easy to get into and I very rarely listen to it.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:27 AM   #130
War Child

Local Time: 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl

Have you heard the live shows or actual studio songs? I've heard some of the live stuff and it's pretty unfair to judge the album on those not-so good recordings.

Speed of Sound the best from the album? Every review I've read so far said that "Speed of Sound" is the bridge track between AROBTTH and X & Y. They have also said the album isn't as immediate at previous Coldplay albums. I personally hope this is the case, because I often find my favorite music takes time to get into. Achtung Baby took a long time for me to really get into, and now it's my favorite album. Pop took a REALLY long time to get into, and it's now my 2nd favorite album. Joshua Tree, on the other hand, was so easy to get into and I very rarely listen to it.
Excuses, Excuses I have heard four tracks from the new Album(the non live tracks) and it does sound pretty similar to Rush Of Blood...
People are aloud to have an opinion man, you can't change everyone's view if that be negative to what you are thinking. Your very defensive when it comes to people criticising Coldplay. Coldplay make some good music but I don't find there music inspiring as compared to U2 and I think alot of U2 fans can see that.. not that all do. I actually like Coldplay, but at the same time the music doesn't inspire me like U2's does!

Cheers
Old 05-19-2005, 09:45 AM   #131
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by LuvandPeace1980

Excuses, Excuses I have heard four tracks from the new Album(the non live tracks) and it does sound pretty similar to Rush Of Blood...
People are aloud to have an opinion man, you can't change everyone's view if that be negative to what you are thinking. Your very defensive when it comes to people criticising Coldplay. Coldplay make some good music but I don't find there music inspiring as compared to U2 and I think alot of U2 fans can see that.. not that all do. I actually like Coldplay, but at the same time the music doesn't inspire me like U2's does!

Cheers
LOL.

Did I make an excuse for Coldplay? No. I was simply asking if they'd heard the studio or the live tracks. Because it would be unfair to judge on the widely circulated live tracks out there (for example, even with U2 I HATED ABOY and COBL when I heard the first live tracks last fall) Then I went on to say that I'd prefer an album that is less immediate than AROBTTH because I enjoy that type of album more.

How is that being defensive again? ahh, it wasn't; that's right. Judging from your reaction to my innocent question, you're the one who is pretty defensive IMO.

I criticize Coldplay all the time on Coldplaying.com and Coldplay.com. I think Martin needs to try some new vocal approaches and if they want to be "the biggest band in the world" they'll have to learn how to rock out; because I admit I tire of the slower songs. It's just the criticms of Coldplay on this site are mainly out of defensiveness; like people are so afraid that a band might become more popular than U2 or something--which WILL happen someday. So many have already replied to this topic with posts like "U2 was much bigger at this point in their career" (which if you look at sales and critical acclaim is just plain incorrect) and stuff like "Coldplay is nothing compared to U2 and never will be!" Now how dumb is that? I want to take a ride in that time machine. Like them or not, they are a big band. If this album and maybe another one after that are good, maybe they will add "great band" along with being a big band. I'm curious. If U2 were to retire at the end of the Vertigo Tour, who would you consider the biggest band in the world to be? Taking critical acclaim, popularity, actually being relevant?
Old 05-19-2005, 09:50 AM   #132
The Fly

Have to agree that Coldplay doesn't inspire like U2, although they are very good. I have heard 2 or 3 from the album and the other live recordings you mentioned, but in my opinion music becomes something else live. Many of U2's songs are even better live, im thinking Streets, Bloody Sunday etc. I do hope it's a great album for as Bono said "it will be really borring if in 5 years we are still the best band" I could live with it though....
Old 05-19-2005, 10:02 AM   #133
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by am22884
I have heard 2 or 3 from the album and the other live recordings you mentioned, but in my opinion music becomes something else live. Many of U2's songs are even better live, im thinking Streets, Bloody Sunday etc. I do hope it's a great album for as Bono said "it will be really borring if in 5 years we are still the best band" I could live with it though....
I guess time will tell, the album comes out in only a couple weeks. I'll be the first one to say if it's shit after all this hype. As for Coldplay live: I've never seen them live and hope to this fall. If their DVD is any indication, they seem like a pretty awesome live band where their songs really do take off.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:37 AM   #134
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

does coldplay have a new album coming out?
Old 05-19-2005, 01:18 PM   #135
The Fly

ImOuttaControl, if you mean the coldplay: live from sydney DVD, is it any good??. Keep meaning to pick it up, but i've heard mixed reviews about it. Agree that you can't really compare Coldplay to U2. They both come from different times & perspectives. I think the amazing thing is U2 are still going that strongly that they compete with bands some 20 odd years after they began. Throw in some Stereophonics and Embrace along with Coldplay and U2 and you'll have me doing some bad karaoke

Tags
coldplay