Coldplay X&Y: Best U2 record U2 never made. I miss U2 - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2005, 10:03 AM   #91
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bedouin fire
only facts:

u2 are the best band that ever walked the earth.

coldplay has the best set of two first albuns ever made.

those are hardly facts, even if I agree to a certain extent with the first one.

Old 05-16-2005, 11:28 AM   #92
War Child

Local Time: 04:40 AM
I really like Coldplay but don't overrate them...Their first two albums are very decent albums but are in no comparison to most U2 albums.

And in my opinion Speed of Sound is not a bad song, but it's also nothing special. It's almost like Coldplay repeating Coldplay (what a lot of people say about U2 nowadays - I don't share that thought)!

Old 05-16-2005, 12:54 PM   #93
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 09:40 PM
hmmm...i'm starting to think this topic is exhausted. any thoughts?
Old 05-16-2005, 02:11 PM   #94
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
hmmm...i'm starting to think this topic is exhausted. any thoughts?
Yeah, I have a thought.

Don't bloody close the thread. So what, the topic is a little tired. It's not offending anyone and there is absolutely no trouble here so take your trigger finger and remove it
Old 05-16-2005, 02:32 PM   #95
War Child

Local Time: 07:40 PM
It seems that Coldplay is progressing and changing their sound - and it looks like they'll have quite a few more 'rockers' this time around, too!

From MTV.com:

Coldplay Album Preview: X&Y A Complex Stadium-Rocker

So here's a throwaway quote from Coldplay's Chris Martin on the making of X&Y, the band's highly anticipated new album:

"It was very hard for our friends and family, because we became very focused and weren't very easy to talk to. And when we finished the album, we had to try and make friends with people again and try to save our relationships."

Three years ago, no one would've really cared about this statement. Now it's the type of quote that makes tabloids drool ... partially because Coldplay have sold more than 17 million albums worldwide and are, arguably, the second-biggest rock act on the planet, but mostly because, within the past three years, Martin has married Gwyneth Paltrow, aligned himself with causes like Drop the Debt, had a few run-ins with the paparazzi, and fathered possibly the most famous child ever named after a piece of fruit.

Point being, there are a whole lot of people paying attention to Coldplay these days. Fan and industry expectations for X&Y are almost impossibly high (it'll have to both resonate longer and sell more copies than 2003's globe-uniting A Rush of Blood to the Head to be considered a success). And now that Martin is the band's breakout — actually probably only — star, it's pretty safe to say that this is the first record where his lyrics will be analyzed with a fine-toothed comb. And so, with all that in mind, and with the gaze of millions of eyes upon them, how would Coldplay respond?

By making X&Y a complex, shimmering, airy, dark, near-ambient, stadium-rocker of an album that manages to sound (in sections) like Brian Eno, the Beatles, Grandaddy, Mercury Rev and Basil Poledouris' score to "Conan the Barbarian" — but also like every Coldplay album ever released. Which is no easy feat.

"Square One" kicks things off with a wash of gauzy synths that give way to Martin's mellow falsettos ("You're in control/ Is there anything you want to know?") and drummer Will Champion's speedy, breakbeat cadences. Then there's a keyboard line that recalls "Also Sprach Zarathustra" (the theme from "2001: A Space Odyssey," or, more importantly, wrestling legend Ric Flair's entrance music) and a guitar solo straight out of a Bond flick. And just as soon as the whole din begins, it disappears, replaced by strummed acoustic guitar and the pitter-patter of electronics.

The somber "What If?" is next, with Martin singsonging, "What if there was no light/ Nothing wrong and nothing right?" over plodding piano chords. Below the surface, strings bubble and simmer until the whole thing boils over in a guitar freakout unlike any the band has committed to tape (the first of many such guitar flare-ups on the disc).

"White Shadows" is a spacey stomper with twisting guitars competing for space atop mammoth drums and droning synths. "Fix You" switches gears, eschewing electronic beats for a creaky church organ that gives way to Martin's mentions of "lights guiding you home" and then a more traditional piano line.

The synths return on the atmospheric "Talk," creating a shimmering landscape complete with lakes of droning guitars and forests of electronic frippery. (When Martin recently told MTV Europe that ambient pioneer Brian Eno visited the bandmembers while they were recording, he wasn't joking.) The album's title track is next, a vaguely Middle-Eastern number that recalls A Rush of Blood's "Daylight" and piles some very pretty strings over all sorts of bubbling electronics.

The first single, "Speed of Sound," follows, and it's about the strangest track the band could've selected to serve as its grand return to the spotlight. Martin's voice is cocooned by the pulses of an electric piano and synth chords that give way to a driving piano line and circling guitars, making the whole thing sound strangely like a minor version of "Clocks."

"A Message" is a sappy, love-struck ballad, with Martin strumming his acoustic guitar and warbling lines like "my song is love" and "heavy hearts made of stone." "Low" is the direct opposite, a straight-ahead rocker with a snapping drum beat and an aggressive bass line. But about three-quarters of the way through, Coldplay give it up, and the entire track dissolves into sine waves of keyboards and the gentle tinkling of a tiny xylophone (making it sound like one of baby Apple's playthings). "The Hardest Part" picks right back up with the piano/synth combo ... for a minute you start to get a bit bored with it all, but then the album snaps back to life with "Swallowed in the Sea."

"Sea" is intriguing with its lumbering low end and squeaky electronic noises that crash against a dirgey/dreamy guitar line. As the tune picks up steam, guitars explode and the rhythm section gets all hot and bothered while Martin brags that he "could write a song 100 miles long."

"Twisted Logic" borrows heavily from Pink Floyd, with dark-tinged guitar chords melting in with Martin's thudding piano lines. And the album concludes with a hidden track, " 'Til Kingdom Come," a shambling guitar tune recorded in one take. Martin's weary voice distorts in the microphone amidst some nifty piano work. And just as quickly as it starts, it's over, fading out like the Beatles' "A Day in the Life."

So what to make of X&Y? It's an organic electronica album. An minimalist, experimental disc with a whole bunch of power chords. Brian Eno for frat guys. Read into it what you will, but at the end of the day, it's still a Coldplay album. Which is probably what they were gunning for all along.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:22 PM   #96
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Seeking Adam

I find it funny that you think you're so superior to other U2 fans
Can't help it if I've reached a higher level of U2 fandom/ conscience then some.

Seriously, though you can make little jabs at me all you want but your statement didn't take away from my point. It seems some U2 fans or very vocal ones can't stand the idea of their being any band trying/ achieving any form of greatness. I mean, Coldplay freakin adore U2 and U2 really respects Coldplay. Eno seems to be into them considering that article and and the Edge was really into them (as opposed to Travis) at the time Parachutes was makin' waves. So why the pissing contest?
Old 05-16-2005, 03:31 PM   #97
New Yorker

Coldplay has two key ingredients to greatness... critical acclaim and they are able to sell records (no small feat for a band from across the Atlantic these days). IMO they have conquered America and are close to pop culture icons considering Martin's marriage to Paltrow (nothing to do with the music of course but significant nonetheless) b/c they are in the mainstream.

I agree with ImOuttaControl's points. I also thought Moses was below soso.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:40 PM   #98
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Tha main thing that Coldplay has going for them right at this moment? A really massive amount of hype.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:22 PM   #99
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
Yeah, I have a thought.

Don't bloody close the thread. So what, the topic is a little tired. It's not offending anyone and there is absolutely no trouble here so take your trigger finger and remove it
how about you not be so bloody rude, huh? this isn't the first time you've acted like this, and i'm telling you now to stop. if i'd thought without a doubt that it should be closed i would've closed it without asking anyone's opinion. since i was thinking it had been getting more than a little heated, i was just asking for people's opinions.

so chill, and remember that the mods still deserve your respect and personal attacks aren't allowed at all, especially towards mods.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:32 PM   #100
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

how about you not be so bloody rude, huh? this isn't the first time you've acted like this, and i'm telling you now to stop. if i'd thought without a doubt that it should be closed i would've closed it without asking anyone's opinion. since i was thinking it had been getting more than a little heated, i was just asking for people's opinions.

so chill, and remember that the mods still deserve your respect and personal attacks aren't allowed at all, especially towards mods.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean for that to come across as a personal attack, nor did I intend to come across as that rude. But the thing is, you say the thread is 'more than a little heated', and I don't see that. I don't see anything but civil and constructive arguements(for the most part) about the subject at hand. I just feel like, if you think what's been said in this thread this far is all that 'heated', that's a little over-sensitive. I could be wrong, that is just my opinion. But, to answer your question, no, I don't think the topic is tired at all. Scratch my first, overly-impulsive response to your question(your original one), and take this as my reply instead. Again, my apologies for my earlier remarks.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:53 PM   #101
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
Again, my apologies for my earlier remarks.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:24 PM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:40 AM
I enjoyed that review.

now I wanna hear it.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:50 PM   #103
Refugee

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....616090,00.html
Old 05-17-2005, 05:06 PM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie