Coldplay X&Y: Best U2 record U2 never made. I miss U2 - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2005, 10:15 AM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:43 PM
Radiohead ARENT doing it, there last 2 albums especially have in the end sold like shit.

Old 05-15-2005, 10:16 AM   #77
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by roy
I quite like Coldplay but Speed of Sound is mediocre IMO.
you know I agree, but I listened to it again, a few times in a row, and I'll say if they hadn't released "clocks" first, I'd really like it alot more. the reason is: the tune is so similar in feel, rhythm, structure, and chords that it feels like they went for the easy way out for a first single.
however, I do think speed of sound has a way better chorus than clocks, which essentially didn't even have one.

Old 05-15-2005, 10:19 AM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Yahweh
Radiohead ARENT doing it, there last 2 albums especially have in the end sold like shit.
really? I don't know any sales figures, perhaps you can find them to back up this statement.
I do know that radiohead is world famous and considered one of the best bands around today.
also, the single "there there" from the last album was the first single played on the radio since 1997's "karma police". and it was played alot too. and the video was on alot on mtv.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:28 AM   #79
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Radiohead has a total of 5 million US sales for all of there albums combined, the first 4 went platnum, and the last 2 went gold.

Comparing that to Coldplay....

Parachutes went 2 times platnum in the US and A rush of Blood to the head went 3 times platnum in the US for there total of 5 million.

The numbers really are the same around the world comparing these 2 bands....Coldplay is much more the superpower when it comes to selling records...does that mean the music is better not necessarly but the public in the end likes it better.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:51 PM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl
U2 is my favorite band, but Coldplay is in the position of becoming more relevant to the MTV/VH1 crowd while U2 is on their way out
I've seen U2's videos a great deal on VH1, as well as MTV2 (and apparently, MTV as well-according to a Rolling Stone magazine from around the time when "Vertigo" came out, that was one of the top 5 videos played on that channel). When I've watched those channels, I've noticed that Coldplay doesn't get nearly the video airplay on those channels that U2 does.

Quote:
I'm a teacher and I can't tell you how many times my students simply don't give U2 much of a chance because "they're old!" Sex appeal and youth has always been huge factors in being relevant with younger audiences unfortunately.
So how come I've met many teenagers who do like them? You're right that there are teenagers out there who don't care for them-I've met a few. Using something like the age of an artist as a deciding factor in whether or not to like them seems rather stupid to me.

But there's also many adults who don't like U2, either-matter of fact, I think I've come across more adults who don't like them than I have teenagers. And how do you account for all the younger people who've joined this place within the last 5 years? When I got into U2 back in 2002, I was 17 going on 18. And there's many other teenagers wandering around here, too. I haven't met too many teens who are into Coldplay, but I have met quite a few who like U2.

All this being said, personally, I don't mind Coldplay. I like the songs I've heard by them so far, they've got a nice, relaxing sound, their songs have pretty music in them (so they're not exactly challenging-that doesn't matter to me. While I love challenging music, I also enjoy the simple stuff, too), and I like their new song, too. I'm not good at predicting who will and won't become the "next big thing", so I'm not going to state one way or the other whether that'll happen to Coldplay. If it does, great, if it doesn't, shame, but as long as their fans stay devoted, they should be fine.

Angela
Old 05-15-2005, 04:17 PM   #81
War Child

Local Time: 09:43 PM
Quote:

I think you're wrong there. U2's first 4 studio albums (keep in mind this is 20+ years after their release. I would guess the sales figures at the time were about half of what is shown here).

Boy: 3 Million
October: 3 Million
War: 8 Million
TUF: 8 Million

So, U2's first 4 albums sold about 22 million albums to date. In 1985, it was probably more like 14 million. Millions of people have bought U2's back catalogue in the last 20 years--especially after the release of the Joshua Tree. I dont have the figures to compare Red Rocks to the Coldplay Live DVD (I don't even know if that would be a fair comparison), so I'll leave it at studio albums.

Between their first 2 albums Parachutes and A Rush Of Blood To The Head, Coldplay has already sold 16 Million albums. I have no doubt that X&Y will break the 10 million mark, especially for how much it's being hyped. That will bring Coldplays 5 year total to around 26 million albums. If X&Y does hit the 10 million mark as is expected, Coldplay will have sold many more albums in their first 5 years than U2 did---even with a 20 year jump on selling their back catalogue, Coldplay will sell more in their first 3 albums than U2 did in their first 4. This doesn't make Coldplay better or anything, so don't bother with that line of thinking, but it refutes the statement that "U2 was bigger after 5 years than Coldplay is now."
If you only judge it by album sales there is something wrong with that.. Album sales mean very little IMO. It Helps but Coldplay are no bigger than after they released Parachutes..
U2 were bigger after 5 years, they were better nown and more famous.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:53 PM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:13 AM
I'm curious to know: does the 1980 in your username indicate your favourite U2 time or the year you were born? If it's the latter, then it may be difficult to understand that U2 in 1985 was not getting the kind of media coverage that Coldplay gets now. And this is not including the "Chris Martin marries Gwyneth" publicity (though that's obviously helped his band no end). U2 were still known in a kind of underground way, they weren't as big as the Police, for instance. Bono wasn't a household name. And as mentioned above, they weren't topping the charts regularly then.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:22 PM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:43 AM
Re: Coldplay X&Y: Best U2 record U2 never made, I miss U2

Quote:
Originally posted by mhowells
I have no idea how a fan group comprised 100% of U2 die hards (most normal fans wouldn't joint a fan group) can't like coldplay's newest single???? It is U2 sounding at its best! Speed of Sound is not at all manufactured, it acutally has a bridge and a pre-chorus! Crazy eh? Everything else on the radio is just verse chorus verse and that's it. Coldplays music is more involved just like U2's and that's what makes it great. It grows on you as you begin to appreciate the subtelties in the music . . .just like U2's. If we were comparing U2 with Megadeth then I could see how no one would like them, but come on guys, get a clue, Coldplay is U2 20 years ago!
Did you hear the same song I did? I heard Speed of Sound and thought, wow, this is the exact same song Coldplay has been doing for the past five years! In other words, it sounds a tiny bit like U2 from the UF era - only with all the vitality drained out of it. And so what if it's better than what normally gets played on the radio? That's not a very high bar to cross these days.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:31 PM   #84
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by JOFO

those 2 statements are contradictory. if radiohead can do it, coldplay can too.
Those two statements are not contradictory. I'm saying that the great bands would go ahead and go exploring for those 'new sounds' even it was that big of a risk for them.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:40 PM   #85
The Fly

Local Time: 09:43 AM
CP is just gettin started. Everything they do while the Gods are still around is ineviably compared to U2 by the critics who are lazy & need some controversy.

They could be the flavor of the moment or turn out to be the flavor of the century like U2. Who can predict....

Even while Michael Jordan was still playing ppl were waiting for the next MJ. Guess what, LeBron aint MJ.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:43 PM   #86
Refugee

http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...eisurearts-hed
Old 05-15-2005, 09:53 PM   #87
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by LuvandPeace1980

If you only judge it by album sales there is something wrong with that.. Album sales mean very little IMO. It Helps but Coldplay are no bigger than after they released Parachutes..
U2 were bigger after 5 years, they were better nown and more famous.
That makes no sense. Of course albums sales are an accurate way to measuer how "big" or famous a band is. So by that logic, a band that sold 1/10 the albums of another band could be considered "bigger???" Coldplay are no bigger than when they released Parachutes? Is that why Speed of Sound was the first single of a UK band to debut in the American Top 10 since the Beatles released "Hey Jude in 1968?"

Album sales have nothing to do with the quality of a band or an album, they have everything to do with how popular or "big" a band is. If a band isn't big, it won't sell tons of albums. If it is big, it will sell tons. Have anything to back up that U2 as bigger and more famous after 5 years? As I've already proven, album sales aren't on your side. Every bit of history I've read basically said that U2 were basically a "cult band" who was slowly becoming "big" until the Joshua Tree pushed them to superstardom.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:05 PM   #88
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

I've seen U2's videos a great deal on VH1, as well as MTV2 (and apparently, MTV as well-according to a Rolling Stone magazine from around the time when "Vertigo" came out, that was one of the top 5 videos played on that channel). When I've watched those channels, I've noticed that Coldplay doesn't get nearly the video airplay on those channels that U2 does.
I didn't mean to say that Coldplay gets more airplay on MTV/VH1--I was just saying that U2 will--sometime in the future--be not very relevant to this crowd. Of course Coldplay doensn't get nearly the coverage...they've had a total of about 5 videos released in the U.S. compared to U2's 30-40. Clocks, The Scientist, Yellow, In My Place all had huge airtime on MTV/VH1/MTV2. I imagine that once Coldplay releases their new album, they'll be on very high rotation.

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

So how come I've met many teenagers who do like them? You're right that there are teenagers out there who don't care for them-I've met a few. Using something like the age of an artist as a deciding factor in whether or not to like them seems rather stupid to me.
Angela
Stupid is correct. I play U2 all the time during our study days in class and it seems like I'm converting some of my students over. All I'm saying is that in my informal study of my students(about 100 students 16-17 years old), there are about 4 U2 fans. the majority just view U2 as a bunch of "old guys," but most admit they do like "Vertigo," "Beautiful Day" and "Elevation." On the other hand, the vast majority of my students really dig bands like Coldplay and the Killers. There is always the exception, but talk to any psychologist and they'll tell you the power of youth connecting with other youth(in this case, young bands instead of old bands).
Old 05-16-2005, 02:03 AM   #89
War Child

Local Time: 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by blueeyedgirl
I'm curious to know: does the 1980 in your username indicate your favourite U2 time or the year you were born? If it's the latter, then it may be difficult to understand that U2 in 1985 was not getting the kind of media coverage that Coldplay gets now. And this is not including the "Chris Martin marries Gwyneth" publicity (though that's obviously helped his band no end). U2 were still known in a kind of underground way, they weren't as big as the Police, for instance. Bono wasn't a household name. And as mentioned above, they weren't topping the charts regularly then.
My age has very little to do with this argument. Why would it be difficult to unserstand that U2 wasn't getting the same media coverage Coldplay is now. I know U2 weren't the biggest thing on the Planet then, but I still stick to what I am saying.
I remember Pride being played on the radio heaps, and Sunday Bloody Sunday as well.
And I remember seeing Bono @ Live Aid. Live Aid is what made U2 remembered for the Joshua Tree.
The Joshua Tree was them taking advantage of it.

If you look back , you will see some pretty huge songs, moments and tours. You can't simply put everything down to Album sales. You guys are just statistic junkies. U2 was huge back then around the world. I mean even these days people still know Pride, Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Years Day very well.. Red Rocks was made famous by U2 and LIVE AID for petes sake.
To date apart from a couple of songs and 2 albums doing well.
Your only mentioning album sales. In 4 records they only sold 22 million(according to the figures you presented), but they also had Under a Blood Red Sky which sold 8 as well.
To me that doesn't make much difference to how big U2 was.
It's more a universal thing, a charismatic thing. Record sales do mean something, but not everything! And quit harping on about that Beatles fact about them a 1968 record thats not worth smashing, LOL. If they get to #1 in the US I would consider that an accomplishment. Not some debut record which sets them at # 8. It's not likely now though as it's #21. And the second time you hear it, it gets boring!

In The UK War was #1 and #12 in the US
The Unforgettable Fire was #1 in the UK and #12 in US
Under A Blood Red Sky was # 1 in the UK and 28 in US

Cheers
Old 05-16-2005, 08:38 AM   #90
Refugee

Local Time: 02:43 PM
only facts:

u2 are the best band that ever walked the earth. they are worldwide stars for 20 years, and they kept doing the best and the most relevant music during these period. (even atyclb and htdaab that are low rated albuns on the u2 range reinforce that position).

coldplay has the best set of two first albuns ever made. that makes them great and gives them a huge potential to one day come close to the u2 status. but they are just entering now in this worldwide recognition and appeal. Let’s see in 10 or 15 years.

Tags
coldplay