Coldplay X&Y: Best U2 record U2 never made. I miss U2 - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2005, 02:26 AM   #31
The Fly

Local Time: 08:39 PM
First of all: I love U2. I grew up with their music. The first single I bought was a live version from I will follow from Pinkpop( my first record was a Kiss record but that is something I try to forget). The point is that I feel that because U2 wants to appeal to a bigger audience and because they want the hit singles(compete with Britney and Christina) the magic is gone. They started to compromise and that is never a good thing. U2 was the best band in the world and is now just the biggest. HTDAAB is an incredibly mainstream record. It's a big radiofriendly monster and I enjoy listening to it but with the exception of Original of the species, One step closer and the mindblowing obscure Fast cars(those lyrics are by far the best I heard from U2 in a long time) it is inferior to what they done in the past. Don't hate me for it because I love you all and maybe I am just getting old and sentimental but maybe they should become the biggest indie band in the world again and let the rest compete with Britney.

Old 05-14-2005, 03:42 AM   #32
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by laurent24
The point is that I feel that because U2 wants to appeal to a bigger audience and because they want the hit singles(compete with Britney and Christina) the magic is gone.
They've been doing that since the outset. Next argument, please.

Quote:
U2 was the best band in the world and is now just the biggest.
They were the biggest in 1987. If anyone ruled the mainstream, it was U2.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-14-2005, 04:19 AM   #33
Banned

The bomb was a classic, I'll let the charts speak for themselves.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:52 AM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm definitely looking forward to Coldplay's third album, but I liked "Speed of Sound" much better when it was called "Clocks".
Old 05-14-2005, 05:07 AM   #35
The Fly

I am sorry to burst your bubble but charts have nothing to do with a record being a classic or not. Beautiful Freak from the Eels is a classic, Smashing Pumpkins with Siamese Dreams is a classic or Faith No More with Angel Dust. If you let the charts speak for themselves Christina is making one classic after another! And yes, U2 ruled the mainstream in 1987 but the Joshua tree was not a record made for the biggest audience. It was and is just a fantastic record.
But I am fine with you thinking that U2 is still making great, innovative records. More power to you. My opinion is that they are still number uno live (except for the Bono speeches) but the creativity of former days has disappeared. Unfortunately.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:26 AM   #36
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:39 PM
[
Old 05-14-2005, 05:40 AM   #37
Refugee

Local Time: 09:39 PM
Re: Coldplay X&Y: Best U2 record U2 never made. I miss U2

Quote:
I miss the days of The Unforgetable Fire and The Joshua Tree. These records sounded so fresh and monumental. "How to dismantle an atomic bomb"is not a bad record but is by no means a classic. It won't be remembered and I find it very painfull to say because I am such a big fan.
Coldplay will never be able to touch U2 when it comes to playing live because U2 is still the best live band in the world but the new music is not special anymore. I remember hearing "Where the streets have no name" for the first time or "Bad"from the live EP. Such emotional music.
Those days are gone. Yes, I probably belong to that small group of fans that Larry told in an interview wanted to keep for themselves. I don't want them to compete with Britney or Christina.
Maybe the new U2 fans feel the same way about the new music, as you did back then. You want U2 to sound like they did, but U2 keep changing. And the expectations are not fulfilled, and one feels a little dissapointed. But the new U2 fans (they've gained a lot of fans lately), feel this way about the new music. They don't have expectations about what U2 should sound like. They didn't become fans during ZooTV (for instance), and they don't miss those days. They are experiencing todays U2, the same way others experienced them before.

I think.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:45 AM   #38
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
why does every new band in the world have to be compared to U2?
Probably because it is a really big thing to be compared to U2, even though there is no logic to it. It's almost becoming a cliché.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:17 AM   #39
War Child

for those thinking Speed Of Sound sounds too much like A Rush Of Blood To The Head music: I won't make judgement 'til a short time after I've heard the album in full. When In My Place was released as the first AROBTTH single, it sounded quite Parachutes-esque. However, as the singles progressed, it showed the depth of the new record, Clocks taking a very diffeent sound to the previous singles. Thus, I suspect, Speed Of Sound will be the most AROBTT-esque of X&Y's songs.
That make sense?

As for the comparisons, I'd have to say that Coldplay is the only one who can actually even compete with U2 for sheer size, even if their music is not identical.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:33 AM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I am sorry to burst your bubble but charts have nothing to do with a record being a classic or not. Beautiful Freak from the Eels is a classic, Smashing Pumpkins with Siamese Dreams is a classic or Faith No More with Angel Dust. If you let the charts speak for themselves Christina is making one classic after another! And yes, U2 ruled the mainstream in 1987 but the Joshua tree was not a record made for the biggest audience. It was and is just a fantastic record.
But I am fine with you thinking that U2 is still making great, innovative records. More power to you. My opinion is that they are still number uno live (except for the Bono speeches) but the creativity of former days has disappeared. Unfortunately.
Really? U2 never wanted to be big and break US? Can you seriously say they didn't work to be no.1 in America with JT?

I wonder where all the "U2 shouldn't be big" talk was in 87 or 92/93 were U2 were REAL big. And don't tell me JT or AB are inacessible. HTDAAB sounds like nothing on US charts.

As for Coldplay, we'll see. I give them credit for still being the biggest "new" name in music after 5 years, I don't see them in U2 league though.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:35 AM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:39 AM
Speed of Sound = Fantastic track everyone likes to compare to something anything that sounds NOTHING LIKE IT just because they want to find something wrong with it...! It's a fantastic tune, has great instrumentation, the singing is awesome and going technical, the production is perfect!

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb = A vast disappointment as a whole, save one or two great tracks. The record is a sure sign, unless U2 get their act together with the 'next album', that they're going to be passing the torch to Coldplay any time soon.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:55 AM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Coldplay proved with this record that they are mediocre at best. Songs from X&Y don't compete at all to The Bomb. Speed of Sound was already heard before, Talk is mostly dull and other songs from the live recordings sound uninspired and boring.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:30 AM   #43
The Fly

U2girl, in those days the priority was to make the best record they could and because the records were so good U2 became bigger than life, especially in the States. That creativity and succes can go hand in hand was proven with records like Joshua tree and Achtung baby. It's not that I don't want them to be big, I do but foremost I want them to make great music. Achtung baby is lyrically and musically so much better than HTDAAB. I wish it was the other way around but it isn't.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:37 AM   #44
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:39 PM
Quote:
U2girl, in those days the priority was to make the best record they could and because the records were so good U2 became bigger than life, especially in the States. That creativity and succes can go hand in hand was proven with records like Joshua tree and Achtung baby. It's not that I don't want them to be big, I do but foremost I want them to make great music. Achtung baby is lyrically and musically so much better than HTDAAB. I wish it was the other way around but it isn't.
Just so you know, I know exactly what you mean... and agree with you 100%. Doesn't mean that I don't enjoy listening to HTDAAB compared to crap like Britney, Christina and 50 Cent that's out there. Blah! I think music in general was better before (trying not to sound like an oldie here) but it's become more derivative over the last 5 years and I don't blame anybody. After all, how many permutations and combinations can you make to get original tunes.. and for how long?
Old 05-14-2005, 09:29 AM   #45
War Child

Local Time: 04:39 PM
Quote:
HTDAAB is an incredibly mainstream record. It's a big radiofriendly monster
Hmm, interesting comment considering 'Speed of Sound' is all over the radio and nothing from 'Bomb' is. There's not a radio friendly song on 'Bomb' because U2 plays by their own songwriting rules, not the industries. 'Speed' is notable for a gorgeous chorus, which is exactly what you need to do to get on the radio. The rest of the song is average at best. Now let's look at 'Bomb's' singles so far. Vertigo only gained notoriety because of the IPod commercial. It would've never touched hit radio and barely did anyway. I'll admit, it would've done well at modern rock even without the commercial. 'Sometimes'? This tune was a dud at radio. Why you might ask? It has no radio friendly chorus. The "mirror, phone" falsetto chorus is awkward and a gamble on such a great song. Even as much as I like this song, I havn't concluded whether or not this chorus is weakly executed or just an unusual fit in terms of gelling with the rest of the song. Either way, U2 definately played by their own rules by incorporating this section into such an obvious contender for a hit song. I'm getting bored now so if anyone else is interested in why the remaining songs on 'Bomb' are radio duds, I'll reply.

Tags
coldplay