Coldplay X&Y: Best U2 record U2 never made. I miss U2 - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2005, 01:55 PM   #181
War Child

Local Time: 06:47 AM
i don't think it's about his daughter. it's about Gweneth at the time she lost her father.

plainspoken lyrics can be very powerful, i concede that point. but when every song contains such vague feelings and pedestrian phrases, it's hard to connect to emotionally.

maybe i am just used to more esoteric lyricists - e.g. jeff tweedy, stephen malkmus. i also read a lot of poetry/literature, so that has an influence.

i still think the song is cheesy though.

Old 06-06-2005, 02:49 PM   #182
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by purpleblackeye

maybe i am just used to more esoteric lyricists - e.g. jeff tweedy

best lyricist out there, imo

Old 06-06-2005, 02:59 PM   #183
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

best lyricist out there, imo
that's cool. i completely agree
Old 06-06-2005, 03:04 PM   #184
Refugee

Local Time: 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by purpleblackeye
i don't think it's about his daughter. it's about Gweneth at the time she lost her father.

plainspoken lyrics can be very powerful, i concede that point. but when every song contains such vague feelings and pedestrian phrases, it's hard to connect to emotionally.

maybe i am just used to more esoteric lyricists - e.g. jeff tweedy, stephen malkmus. i also read a lot of poetry/literature, so that has an influence.

i still think the song is cheesy though.
Yeah, I have heard both Gwyneth and Apple. I hope it is about Apple because it seems kind of condescending if it is towards a women, it seems to be about life lessons.

BTW, I love Jeff Tweedy. Wasn't too hard to guess that you did too based on the name.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:13 PM   #185
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bsp77

BTW, I love Jeff Tweedy. Wasn't too hard to guess that you did too based on the name.
I envied that user name right away. I wish I had a Tweedy user name, like bibleblackpredawn or shinyshinypants or crackeddoormoon (the possibilities are endless) but it's too late now.

Anyway, I wish I hadn't seen those Fix You lyrics laid out on the page like that...kinda ruined it for me, lol.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:56 PM   #186
Refugee

Local Time: 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

I envied that user name right away. I wish I had a Tweedy user name, like bibleblackpredawn or shinyshinypants or crackeddoormoon (the possibilities are endless) but it's too late now.

Anyway, I wish I hadn't seen those Fix You lyrics laid out on the page like that...kinda ruined it for me, lol.
I am an American Aquarium drinker. I Assassin down the Avenue.

Gotta love that alliteration. Let's turn this into a Wilco thread.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:28 PM   #187
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
[BThey do mainstream music pretty well
Melon [/B]

exactly, which is not a bad thing; but they're not "the best band in the world", not do they deserve the lavish praise they're getting.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:45 PM   #188
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I listened to the album a couple of times and I gotta say I'm disappointed. I'm a fan of their first two albums, but with this one I feel like they went and made their sound bigger and all awash in prettiness and grandeur but forgot to make a similar leap in actual songwriting. It's not a bad album as such, just very uninspired, with very repetitive arrangements and lyrics that are primitive and awkward rather than simple and effective. Not that lyrics were ever Chris Martin's strong point, but with killer songs like "Clocks" or "Shiver" it didn't really matter, but here even his still-gorgeous voice doesn't help matters.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:55 AM   #189
The Fly

I agree, I definitely think they put the cart before the horse on this one. Everything sounds bigger and more epic, but the songs just aren't good enough.

Square One and the early leaked version of Talk are the only two songs from this album I can see myself listening to six months from now.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:39 AM   #190
Refugee

Local Time: 07:47 AM
1) COLDPLAY is the most boring band of the universe.
2) COLDPLAY sucks.
3) Overhyped and overrated.
4) As it seems, they always play the same song forever.
5) But its nice background music for the supermarkets.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:11 AM   #191
The Fly

x&y is the most boring and dissapointing album of the year so far.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:45 AM   #192
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:47 AM
a message
Old 06-07-2005, 08:56 AM   #193
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:47 AM
Well, I just listened to X&Y for the second time. And while I didn't see God, or Jesus, walk into the room, I think I spotted a few saints this time around!

I like "Talk" a LOT. "Fix You" is very sweet and heartfelt. And I noticed the album is dedicated to "BWP"--Bruce W. Paltrow? If so, that's a nice gesture from his son-in-law.

I still prefer the energy of the new Oasis album. And the songs seem to blend into each other too much on "X&Y," especially after "Speed of Sound." I like "A Rush of Blood to the Head" more. But this album might be a grower...
Old 06-07-2005, 01:26 PM   #194
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:47 AM
I totally agree about Talk and fix you. And I also agree about after Speed of Sound. Before that song, the other songs are distinctive and really good. After that song they kind of have the same tone, and rhythm etc. I like the album overall though. I'd say parachutes and AROBTTH are better though. Ill have to give this one some time though, before Im definitive.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:41 PM   #195
War Child

Local Time: 07:47 AM
jesus christ - all you people commenting in this thread without even listening to the album properly just because you don't like Coldplay, sod off. I respect your view if you do not like them but the number of threads/posts just saying 'Coldplay suck' is just pointless and childish. Go do something better with your time, like searching eBay for Thom Yorke's hair.

that said.....

I've had the album in the player for about a week now, Talk has re-grown on me, lyrically its far superior to the leaked version and the tune itself is now growing on me to. Whilst the first 3 songs are certainly good, none of them really strike me. Fix You, I personally can't stand to listen all the way through of, it's just not my thing.
X&Y seems quite bland so far, as do Swallowed In The Sea and The Hardest Part, although the latter of these seems to have most potential for growth. Speed of Sound is still sing-along-to-able, but I think it will go the same way, in my mind, as In My Place, which I can't listen to any more.
My favourite songs so far would be A Message, Low and 'Til Kingdom Come, although I have doubts about a message.

Over-all, the album has disappointed me so far. There are a few good songs on there and a couple of them with make my Coldplay compilation CD, replacing stuff like Yellow and In My Place which are far too overplayed.

There seem no stunners like Clocks or Amsterdam, I'm hoping for a slow grower like Green Eyes and Warning Sign were for me, although the quality is dissapointing compared to AROBTTH. This is more of a pity as, a while ago, I was led to believe that the album may follow the path of such b-sides as Crests Of Waves and 1.36.

Two main problems as I see it. Whereas AROBTTH seemed focused essentially towards musical content, X&Y appears to have its songs based on it's lyrics. Whilst this, alone, is no bad thing, Martin's over-ambitious lyrics and cliche-ridden songs mean that the music is oft forgotten, or at least a secondary part of each songs.

For me, it is probably the best album of the year but that isn't saying it's that much, I've had quite a dissapointing year so far, hopefully Muse's new material may surface before the year is through.

Oh yeah, I don't like synths either.

Tags
coldplay