Coldplay X&Y: Best U2 record U2 never made. I miss U2 - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2005, 09:55 AM   #151
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:09 AM
Hahaha! Post of the day goes to Zerodude.

Old 05-21-2005, 10:07 AM   #152
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:09 AM
i enjoy being a fan of both bands.

Old 05-21-2005, 10:14 AM   #153
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
A day or so ago, I was going on a trip to the Memorial University of Newfoundland with some of my fellow graduates. "Speed of Sound" came on the radio while we were on the bus, and a couple people turned to me and asked what the song's name was. So I told them what it was and who it was by and some of them looked surprised. I asked them why they automatically turned to me, and one guy said, "Because it sounded a lot like U2." The others agreed with him.

That says it all. Don't get me wrong, I really like Coldplay, but there are times when I feel like they're nothing more than a watered down imitation of U2. And, judging by the episode on the bus, people who aren't even fans of both bands feel the same way too.
That's interesting that your friends said "Speed of Sound" sounds like U2. I'm listening to it right now to try to hear any similarities, but I really can't. I guess I just can't hear it when people tend to say Coldplay sounds like U2 in general.

Yeah, Johnny Buckland does come up with some very Edge like guitar riffs; In My Place, Moses and on the new album White Shadows--but as long as it's not a ripoff of U2 song I don't really care. The only coldplay song I thought was a complete ripoff of U2 though was "Moses." Great song but very unoriginal.

Some people claim that Martin tries to sound like Bono, and that I'm totally deaf to I guess. I think Martin sounds like a yodeling Dave Mathews.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:20 AM   #154
The Fly

Local Time: 01:09 PM
I have not heard Coldplay much & was just about to watch Coldplay 2003 DVD............ is it going to sound like yodeling Dave Mathews??
Old 05-21-2005, 10:41 AM   #155
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Seeking Adam
I have not heard Coldplay much & was just about to watch Coldplay 2003 DVD............ is it going to sound like yodeling Dave Mathews??
Not really. Chris Martin has an airy quality to his voice(so does dave mathews), and he also sings in falsetto once and a while. Hense the yodeling Dave Mathews. Don't worry though, it's just a joke. I can't stand Dave Mathews voice and I love Martins voice, so that says something. Enjoy the dvd, it's a great show and if you haven't heard them much it'll be a good way to get to know some of their music.

All this talking about Coldplay the last few days on here I think I"m gonna pop mine in as well this afternoon.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:42 AM   #156
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl

That's interesting that your friends said "Speed of Sound" sounds like U2. I'm listening to it right now to try to hear any similarities, but I really can't. I guess I just can't hear it when people tend to say Coldplay sounds like U2 in general.

Yeah, Johnny Buckland does come up with some very Edge like guitar riffs; In My Place, Moses and on the new album White Shadows--but as long as it's not a ripoff of U2 song I don't really care. The only coldplay song I thought was a complete ripoff of U2 though was "Moses." Great song but very unoriginal.

Some people claim that Martin tries to sound like Bono, and that I'm totally deaf to I guess. I think Martin sounds like a yodeling Dave Mathews.
Chris Martin doesn't sound like Bono at all. But from a musical perspective, the band does seem to emulate U2 quite a bit. Particularly Johnny, as you said. As for my friends...well, my only guess is that they were referring to the rhythm section, which does sound a bit U2-ish. As well as the guitars at the end and in the chorus.

I don't think SoS is Coldplay's most U2-like song either, but there have been some pretty blatant rip-offs in the past, in my opinion. The guitar riffs from "In My Place" and "Moses" come to mind, for instance.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:27 PM   #157
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

Chris Martin doesn't sound like Bono at all. But from a musical perspective, the band does seem to emulate U2 quite a bit. Particularly Johnny, as you said. As for my friends...well, my only guess is that they were referring to the rhythm section, which does sound a bit U2-ish. As well as the guitars at the end and in the chorus.

I don't think SoS is Coldplay's most U2-like song either, but there have been some pretty blatant rip-offs in the past, in my opinion. The guitar riffs from "In My Place" and "Moses" come to mind, for instance.
Yeah I agree that Coldplay emulate U2 a lot. They've torn the pages out of U2's playbook on many different things. I don't think that's a bad thing though. A lot of people act like it's illegal for another band to use the U2 sound, but as long as the music comes from a genuine place, I don't really care. The U2 sound is now part of the general music scene, just like the way the Beatles influenced a ton of bands that came after them.

I sometimes wonder if there's anything genuinely original left out there? There's only so much you can do with drums, bass and 6 strings...Just look at the big bands of the last few years. The Strokes and White Stripes are basically throwbacks to garage rock. The Killers are a throwback to mid 80's music that relied heavily on synths and everything. Hell, even U2 borrowed heavily from Echo and the Bunnymen and others. Coldplay is borrowing from U2 style guitarwork and Beatles like balladry(if that's a word)
Old 05-21-2005, 06:27 PM   #158
Refugee

Just a reminder to anyone that cares--Coldplay will be on Saturday Night Live tonight and are rumored to be getting a ton of airtime (I've heard 4-5 songs).
Old 05-21-2005, 09:55 PM   #159
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

well, speed of sound was ok, but that second tune, I guess its called fix you, was boring and predicatable.

a few more songs like that and this debate is over.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:32 PM   #160
ONE
love, blood, life

I downloaded some of X&Y (a couple from the actual album and a couple live), and I must say I do enjoy it, it's shaping up to be Coldplay's best album yet...certainly their most rocking. But here's the thing. Downloading new Coldplay sonds is like downloading new U2 songs without the excitement. The songs are U2 songs without the magic...there's all the elements right there (I don't get how you could NOT think Coldplay sounds like U2. Take out Martin's vocals in "Speed of Sound" and you've got a typical U2 song...not just the shimmering Edge-effect guitars, but even the rhythm section. The piano is the only really trademark Coldplay thing, and U2 has piano...), but that spark is missing. I think part of it is that Coldplay is more melancholy...they can't reach U2's dizzying heights because they're too damn SAD. Even their "cheerful" songs like Yellow and Clocks have an element of sadness to them, somehow. When I listen to Coldplay I am not lifted, I am brought down. They're very bittersweet.

I love Coldplay, but they're not the next U2, they just SOUND like U2. There's a difference. I don't think another U2 is possible now, frankly. The music industry has changed so much... U2 became big after years of building up, getting 'street cred,' a loyal fanbase, ect. Coldplay has become too big too fast and I don't think they'll last. Ultimately the bands I see the most potential in are Bloc Party (I love every single song by this band. Unfortunatley so does NME, I'm afraid that like Coldplay they will get too big too fast) and Doves (which are essentially a better, more diverse version of Coldplay).
Old 05-22-2005, 11:05 AM   #161
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicBono
I don't think another U2 is possible now, frankly. The music industry has changed so much... U2 became big after years of building up, getting 'street cred,' a loyal fanbase, ect.
Yeah...didn't Bono say at the R&R Hall of Fame induction ceremony that a band like U2 wouldn't make it in today's world because of the way the music business is?

Angela
Old 05-22-2005, 04:14 PM   #162
Refugee

Local Time: 05:09 AM
shit thread
Old 06-03-2005, 09:39 PM   #163
The Fly

I don't get what the big deal is. I like HTDAAB, if I didn't I wouldn't be here. And what's the point of complaining until the next U2 album comes out?

I love U2 for sentimental reasons. Because U2's music spans from my kindergarten year to now (at 29 years old), there are a lot of memories along the way. Granted, I wasn't a huge fan early on but I have been since the late 80's, almost 20 years ago. In fact, I was willing to risk hell to listen to U2 back then. The southern Baptist church I went to taught that listening to music which didn't glorify Jesus in every song was a sin -- U2 was my escape route from organized religion.

Don't forget, 20 years ago, some said that U2 copied The Police, and that Bono sounded like Sting. Has anyone said that in 15 years? Maybe Coldplay will be as good (or egads, better than U2), maybe they won't. Time will tell.

Off the new Coldplay album, my favorite songs are A Message, Low, and Swallowed in the Sea. And Fix You has a cool organ sound. Definately gonna buy it on Tuesday.

Last I heard, it's okay to enjoy music from more than one band. I think that's still true.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:03 PM   #164
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by datatyme
Last I heard, it's okay to enjoy music from more than one band. I think that's still true.
You're gonna go to Hell for that!

But that's OK... all the good music's going to be there too.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:47 AM   #165
Blue Crack Addict

I love HTDAAB. I listen to it at least once a day. As for Coldplay, I like them alot, but they're not U2 and I don't think they'll have long careers the way U2 has. I like "Speed of Sound" and am planning to see them in September if I can a ticket from Ticketbastard this morning, but there's no comparison.

Tags
coldplay