Coldplay X&Y: Best U2 record U2 never made. I miss U2 - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2005, 01:29 PM   #136
Refugee

Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by am22884
ImOuttaControl, if you mean the coldplay: live from sydney DVD, is it any good??. Keep meaning to pick it up, but i've heard mixed reviews about it. Agree that you can't really compare Coldplay to U2. They both come from different times & perspectives. I think the amazing thing is U2 are still going that strongly that they compete with bands some 20 odd years after they began. Throw in some Stereophonics and Embrace along with Coldplay and U2 and you'll have me doing some bad karaoke
Yep, the dvd is called simply "Coldplay Live 2003," but it was filmed over 2 nights in Sydney I think. It comes with a live CD which is also cool. I would definitely pick it up, it has absolutely awesome versions of Don't Panic, Amsterdam, Politik, Moses, and all their hits like Clocks, Yellow, The Scientist...ect sound awesome also. They also comes across as much more "rocking" live than on CD. It's got some cool documentary stuff too. Definitely worth the money.

Old 05-19-2005, 09:35 PM   #137
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:13 AM
Coldplays new album im certain will sell well but its much easier to sell records and stay "relevent" when you are young like Coldplay is because the majority of the world unfairly says that rock music is a young man or womans game. The real test will be in 10 years when Coldplay are no longer "the in thing".

Coldplay will in the end be considered a great band for the time period the test for them is if they will be considered a great band of all time periods like U2 has become.

Old 05-19-2005, 10:37 PM   #138
War Child

Local Time: 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl
I guess time will tell, the album comes out in only a couple weeks. I'll be the first one to say if it's shit after all this hype. As for Coldplay live: I've never seen them live and hope to this fall. If their DVD is any indication, they seem like a pretty awesome live band where their songs really do take off.
I think I was more offensive in that last post :P
I have seen that DVD and I think that Coldplay are great musicians and they play very well, even more precise than alot of U2 concerts. However it bored me, it wasn't inspiring like a U2 concert or DVD and there was very little crowd interaction, Chris Martin has no leadership vibe.
The good thing about a U2 concert is that you could go there or watch it on DVD and not know one song ie: never heard one ever(in theory I mean) and have the night of your life with Bono commanding centre stage jumping around like a cat and a bull or throwing a few witty comments and some inspiring stories, or just random shit. Whatever he does it keeps you looking at him, it's inspiring and most of all entertaining.
Most other concerts, including Coldplay's you need to know the songs or a few of them to have a really great time. I liked their DVD, but I don't get after watching it and feel like I have just witnessed something special.

Cheers
Old 05-19-2005, 11:38 PM   #139
The Fly

Local Time: 09:13 PM
I'm a big Coldplay fan in addition to being a U2 fan, and I have to say, I'm getting kinda tired of these "Coldplay vs. U2" threads. I see them on both the Coldplay and U2 message boards... just excuses for fans of one band to rant out the other band.

That said, I've had an absolutely amazing past two nights. I was lucky enough to be able to see Coldplay in their small buzz gig at the Beacon Theatre two nights ago, the night before I saw U2 at CAA. Coldplay can't compare to what U2 has to offer live. BUT, they do have some pretty damn good songs. The new songs sound absolutely amazing, and I'm looking more forward to X&Y than ever. I can tell they've taken a leap forward... a couple of the songs were heavily electronica-leaning that's a bit of a departure from what we know from them, but they still sounded great.

I feel like they're really taking off now, which is really exciting. It's a different kind of excitement from what we might experience with U2 in this day and age, but nonetheless, you have to admit it's exciting.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:26 AM   #140
Refugee

Local Time: 03:13 AM
COLDPLAY is the most overrated band on the planet. the sound is too much polished. i just don't like this. the same as the sound of U2 for their last two albums, too much polished...
Old 05-20-2005, 08:33 AM   #141
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:13 PM
I take it you've never heard 'The Joshua Tree' or 'The Unforgettable Fire' then? come on, a perfect, 'polished' sound never hurt, anyone!
Old 05-20-2005, 08:54 AM   #142
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I'm a big Coldplay band and saw them live last tour. They have nothing on U2 live. 90% of the crowd sat and watched. It felt like I was at a Rod Stewart concert or even a opera. There music is so hard to dance and jump around too. On top of that, Chris Martin is a very overated singer. His voice is nothing compared to Bono. Speed of Sound is nothing but B-side material compared to there previous material. That song does nothing for me.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:19 PM   #143
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by zoopop
I'm a big Coldplay band and saw them live last tour. They have nothing on U2 live. 90% of the crowd sat and watched. It felt like I was at a Rod Stewart concert or even a opera. There music is so hard to dance and jump around too. On top of that, Chris Martin is a very overated singer. His voice is nothing compared to Bono. Speed of Sound is nothing but B-side material compared to there previous material. That song does nothing for me.
pretty fair assessment. i saw coldplay live as well and was not too overwhelmed. the songs were played nearly identical to the album and there was little interaction with martin to the crowd. i mean, it was an alright show, but nothing to really go bonkers about. the songs were fine, but i'd prefer listening to the album version of the songs. live, they didn't do anything for me.

and i hate speed of sound.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:14 PM   #144
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by zoopop
That sucks that so much of the crowd was sitting down. I couldn't imagine sitting down at a concert. I guess that's what they get for having so many slower songs though.

I don't think the Chris Martin is overrated though. Yeah he doesn't have the range that Bono has, but in the last 5 years it's pretty safe to say he has one of the most easily recognizable voices out there.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:27 PM   #145
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by jacobus
COLDPLAY is the most overrated band on the planet. the sound is too much polished. i just don't like this. the same as the sound of U2 for their last two albums, too much polished...

then go listen to ornette coleman.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:59 PM   #146
New Yorker

LOL... don't most Coldplay fans at Coldplay concerts sit down. I remember Martin telling the people in the audience on the Coldplay live CD to stand up. Slow songs will do that.

Sngs sounding just like they do on the CD is neither a bad thing or good thing. Part of Coldplay's appeal to me is the fact that they truly represent "minimalist" music.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:49 AM   #147
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:13 PM
A day or so ago, I was going on a trip to the Memorial University of Newfoundland with some of my fellow graduates. "Speed of Sound" came on the radio while we were on the bus, and a couple people turned to me and asked what the song's name was. So I told them what it was and who it was by and some of them looked surprised. I asked them why they automatically turned to me, and one guy said, "Because it sounded a lot like U2." The others agreed with him.

That says it all. Don't get me wrong, I really like Coldplay, but there are times when I feel like they're nothing more than a watered down imitation of U2. And, judging by the episode on the bus, people who aren't even fans of both bands feel the same way too.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:17 AM   #148
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:43 PM
It's got legs, this debate!
Old 05-21-2005, 06:22 AM   #149
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I don't care about Coldplay becoming bigger than U2, I just don't want to see Chris Martin in leather trousers
Old 05-21-2005, 08:02 AM   #150
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by ZeroDude
I don't care about Coldplay becoming bigger than U2, I just don't want to see Chris Martin in leather trousers
Finally someone got it right

Tags
coldplay