Coldplay vs. Travis (and bands you would rate against them)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Wanderer

Kid A
I love the Coldplay cd and the new tracks they debuted live this year, and now I am finally getting around to liking Travis (Invisible Band cd I borrowed from a friend)

for obvious reasons I see these two bands as being natural competitors, what bands would you include in this category? give me some lesser-known bands of this genre that I should give a listen to

you may be interested in these bands:

ours
elbow
badly drawn boy
the doves
belle and sebastian
the hives
gomez
pete yorn

I think no disk covered my suggestions.

But I just have to say Coldplay blew me away this year. "Yellow" has got to be one of the most heart-wrenching songs I've ever heard.

The first time I heard it, I thought:
"Wow! I know what that guy's feelin'"

Beta Band
Stereophonics
JJ72
Manic Street Preachers

Some of them are a bit of a stretch, but all have that Radiohead? feel to them somewhat.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Hey Craig!

I'm assuming you have Urban Hymns by the Verve? Or their other album Northern Soul? U.H. is my favourite non-U2 album of all time...

The Manics, as mentionned above, is a pretty good one...Stereophonics aren't bad...

The Charlatans are a bit heavier but a good band indeed...

I definitely agree with you re. Travis and Coldplay - your taste in music isn't so bad after all!
wink.gif

Oh yeah - Foxxern mentionned JJ72 - I was absolutely blown away by them when I saw them open up for U2 in London!
What a surprise!!!! Very, very good - they've got lots of potential indeed!

p.s.: I still think the Matthew Goode band is the best thing to come out of this country in the past 5 years!!!

You might want to add Muse to that list. Although they sound nothing like Coldplay and neither band sounds anything like Radiohead, they have tended to be lumped in together by sections of the music press.

I feel Coldplay may emerge as the better of the two - if their first record is a starting point. If their next record is not better, and significantly so, then my opinion of them may drop away somewhat (by which I mean that wonderful as Parachutes is, there's plenty of room to grow, especially in the lyrical department).

A lot of Muse's lyrics are pretty atrocious, but the whacky intensity of their on-record performance often carries the day. Plus they seem to have a musical fixation with reproducing "A Day in the Life". I'm sure they stole part of that tune for one of their earlier songs. Check out the album in question, called Showbiz. It's pretty good overall, in a Bends-y kind of way (shit, I've contradicted myself).

I've listened to both Muse and Ours and have been a bit disappointed, I just find their songs to be lacking a certain something...

of course I have The Verve's U.H. julie! just got A Northern Soul recently, another excellent cd

this is so unfair I LOVE Coldplay AND Travis and Im going to see Travis in March
smile.gif
oh Mr Wanderer you should get Travis-The Man Who Album its REALLY good.

My favourite between these two is coldplay but only because I got to meet them and then got to go their aftershow party...
biggrin.gif

------------------
And if you look, you look through me.

L'amore giunger
L'amore
E non so pi pregare
E nell'amore non so pi sperare
E quell'amore non so pi aspettare
miss_smith@emailaccount.com e-mail me
smile.gif

The perpetually handsome Mullen appears to have stopped ageing around the time of The Joshua Tree.
"It doesn't matter what songs we sing.
I'm a drummer. Chicks dig me." -Larry
Larry likes to play drums." - Bono
"Larry's always been noticed cos he's the pretty one." - Adam
"Bono, if you still haven't found what you're looking for, look behind the drumkit." - Boy George
A man so handsome, he will never be let sing in this group!"
-Bono, introducing Larry at Irving Plaza, NYC 2000

[This message has been edited by bono-vox (edited 01-07-2002).]

I guess I prefer Travis, but I don't know that much of Coldplay's stuff excpet Yellow.

Ours is great, but I think they are a bit "morbid" compared to Travis.

------------------
I wanna dance, dance, dance in the dirty rain....where the streets have no name...

Originally posted by Saracene:
Both bands have some absolutely gorgeous songs, but I think I'd give a slight preference to Coldplay. For one thing, they don't overdo that "we're not important maaan, it's all about the music" thing.

Not to mention their songs are slightly better. Something about Travis just troubles me, unfortunately.

------------------
"Once again
I'm in trouble with my old friend
She is papering the windowpanes
She is putting on a smile
Living in a glasshouse..."

Originally posted by Kieran McConville:
Something about Travis just troubles me, unfortunately.

For me, it's their lyrics. They are kinda cheesy.

Coldplay is great. Saw them at Irving Plaza in NYC. JJ72 opened for them and they were good as well.

If you like Coldplay, check out Starsailor. Their new album is debuting in the US today [Jan. 8] and you really need to buy it. Saw them live last year as well and they were amazing and I'm seeing them again tonight. So yeah, pick up the album. Its amazing!

Wanderer, do you listen to Sparklehorse? He's not exactly rockish, not in the same category as Coldplay or Travis..... but his lyrics are good. I thought if you liked Go Monkey (or whatever that band is) you'd like Sparklehorse too. I have "It's A Wonderful Life", his latest offering, and it's one of my faves.

foray

Yeah Northern Soul is indeed excellent eh bud? Especially History....wowsers!

Anyhoo, I agree with the person above who wrote that "The Man Who" by Travis was great - it really, really is!

And Fran is such a cutie! (and I know how important that is for you Craig!
wink.gif
)

The first time I ever heard the Verve, it was 'Bittersweet Symphony' on the radio in 1997.

My thoughts: "Hmmm, sounds like Oasis. Naah, can't be. Too good..."

------------------
"Once again

Another band perhaps nobody has mentioned yet just came to mind - Mercury Rev.

They had an album out a few years ago called 'Deserters Songs', which from what I heard of it, shared a bit of the Coldplay/Travis musical temperament. Actually, I think they're American; could be mistaken however.

------------------
"Once again

Originally posted by Kieran McConville:
Another band perhaps nobody has mentioned yet just came to mind - Mercury Rev.

They had an album out a few years ago called 'Deserters Songs', which from what I heard of it, shared a bit of the Coldplay/Travis musical temperament. Actually, I think they're American; could be mistaken however.

Mercury Rev are great! (love the Delta Sun Bottle Neck Stomp) I haven't heard all of All Is A Dream yet, but I really enjoy Jonathan Donahue. I love them.

If you like them, check out Trembling Blue Stars. Broken By Whispers is a really good record, and so is their latest Alive to Every Smile.

Oh, and Mercury Rev are from the States, New York I believe, but have gained a lot more appeal across the pond.

Back
Top Bottom