Coldplay vs. The Verve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Wanderer

Kid A
I know there are quite a few fans of these two bands around, I'm interested to know what people will say about this

personally, as beautiful as the melodies are on Parachutes, I think Urban Hymns is just as beautiufl, with a more multi-dimensional style, and Richard Ashcroft's lyrics are a notch above Chris Martin's, though both are excellent lyricists

The Verve are probably my next favourite band after U2. I like Coldplay alot but I think The Verve outweigh(or did RIP) them in style, emotion and musical ability.
The Verve not only created one of the greatest albums ever with Urban Hymns but their previous albums were some of the best with songs like History, On your Own and a Northern Soul.

The Verve were completely original, which had a lot to do with the writing style of Richard Ashcroft, as can be seen still on his own brilliant first solo album.

Coldplay I have seen live(well barely hehe) The Verve unfortanately as they never came to Australia before their break up, I have not.
Coldplay were good live and Chris Martin has charisma and a beautiful voice(although I dont find it that dissimilar to the style of Buckley, who could have out sung him on any ocassion)however I find their stuff almost wailing in depression at times.
I adore the songs Shiver and Spies, but I am still wondering waht the hell Yellow was about.
The Verve show a little hope and I basically think their songs just kick a thousand times more musically.

It was a very sad day the Verve spilt up....

----------------
"Tell me what you've seen
Was it a dream?
Was i in it?"

I luv both bands. It's weird, I think Parachutes is full of melancholy beauty...... but it's not a record I find myself listening to often. Perhaps this is an indication that my attraction to them will wear off. I've seen them live twice ( once at Big Day out and once on their own tour ) and they were superb though.

With the Verve there were songs I considered filler on both albums, but they had enough gorgeous ones to compensate eg. Drugs Don't Work, Lucky Man. I absolutely adore Richard Ashcroft's voice but in regards to his solo record........ I would in no way call it brilliant. It was slaughtered by critics and fans alike, and I mostly agree with their assessment. It's totally not what anyone was expecting, it's not progressive at all in fact it's quite regressive. It's like laidback, druggy, 70's soft rock ie. Eagles-y. A major disappointment.

Anyway, they were my thoughts!
smile.gif

The Verve were one of the great, great bands of the last decade...Coldplay have only released one album...I dont actually think its a fair comparison.

Richard Ashcroft was a great frontman...plenty of charisma and tremendous lyrics to stand by.

Nick McCabe was a fantastic guitarist, sad that he and Ashcroft had to fallout with each other TWICE, lol but his styles and tones were very English and very distinctive in his own right...

Coldplay have made a fine start and im pissed i didnt see them when they were here
frown.gif

but their style is a mould and combination of those seen in other groups imo, which isnt a bad thing at all, but they lose marks for being distinctive imo, they are a lil bit buckley, a lil bit U2, a lil bit Pink Floyd even...

The Verve were very much their own band, and as well as being distinctive, their final product was great and memorable, Coldplay's may become great and memorable, but they are just starting out, and we should give them a chance to grow b4 playing them off against The Verve...

Verve vs Oasis? now theres a fairer fight...
biggrin.gif

Actually luvlady, Ive read a lot of different reviews and they were mixed. He got great reviews from critics as well as not so good ones.
I don't really buy into critic reviews anyway, certainly not ones like Q music who love to tear someone down who they've only months before, idolised. Think U2.
If the album wasn't what you were expecting, perhaps thats a good thing.

I think its pretty damn good for a break from mega band to first solo release.

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
Actually luvlady, Ive read a lot of different reviews and they were mixed. He got great reviews from critics as well as not so good ones.
I don't really buy into critic reviews anyway, certainly not ones like Q music who love to tear someone down who they've only months before, idolised. Think U2.
If the album wasn't what you were expecting, perhaps thats a good thing.

I think its pretty damn good for a break from mega band to first solo release.

Damn, I luv Q!! I read quite a few music mags off and on but Q's the only one I religiously buy. Do I buy into reviews? I suppose to a certain extent I trust that the journalists have a better knowledge of music than I do........ but I certainly don't just go along with whatever they say. Their review of 'Alone With Everybody' was quite harsh, but they have good intentions I think. They've always been a supporter of the Verve and had big expectations of Ashcroft so when he failed to deliver ( in their opinion ) they just wanted to give him a bit of a kick up the ass.

It just so happened that their assessment of the record pretty much coincided with mine. It is good to be surprised by a record but in this case it wasn't pleasantly for me. The Verve were always distinctive and innovative and I found 'Alone With Everybody' to be rather derivative and dull. That's just my opinion though, and I respect yours!!
smile.gif

As for Q idolising U2 and then tearing them down..... I haven't found that at all. As far as I know they have always supported U2 and ATYCLB got a great review. I think NME are ten times worse. They used to be downright fucking rude and condescending about U2, and now suddenly they've decided to be nice. I've never liked NME, I can't stand people telling me what I should be listening to.

[This message has been edited by LuvLady (edited 09-29-2001).]

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
oh and the only way oasis will write good music again is if they stop their bickering, forget about who's haircut looks better, and get on with it.

That's exactly what they've done. Check out the latest NME magazine, or at www.nme.com .

------------------
Change is the only constant

I think The Verve is one of the most underrated bands that has ever existed. Okay, maybe a bit of a strong statement, but they really were genius. Nick McCabes guitar was just acid. Unbelievable. And Ashcrofts soulful singing and lyrics help bring the music into the mainstream.

I got to see The Verve shortly before they broke up, at Harbor Lights in Boston. It's sad how many people only know that band for Bittersweet Symphoney. Northern Soul has some real jems on it. They played History at the show I was at. I just about freaked out it was so great.

I wish this band had stuck around longer. Ashcrofts solo project was okay, but nothing compared to what the Verve was able to accomplish. I really need to invest in all their singles
wink.gif

Noel Gallagher really paid Ashcroft a complement when he wrote Cast No Shadow.

------------------
To use the old hippy saying, it ain't where you're from, it's where you're at. And right now. If you're listening to this CD, you're already watching the sunset in your mind, feeling the heat on your skin and whilling away the hours. Simply chilled. Best way to keep it, really. -Matthew Kershaw - Ibiza Sunset.

I'd take The Verve over Coldplay anyday. As was said earlier, The Verve have so many more dimensions than Colplay. Simply comparing Parachutes with Urban Hyms you can clearly see this. In addition, Ashcroft's better than Martin and McCabe is better than the Coldplay guy.

I think Richard Ashcroft's solo effort is actually very good. And I don't think there needs to be a competition between The Verve and Coldplay - as coldplay have one album out and The Verve are history, and they're both damn good. Maybe Coldplay is a better band, maybe Ashcroft a better songwriter, but its oranges and apples to this little black duck.

Glad to see the Verve getting some well-deserved recognition. Truly one of the greatest bands of the 1990's, 'tis a shame they were a**holes about it, they could have/should have been huge in the United States if not for their thoroughly British attitude towards touring the U.S. (I've always maintained you could write a good book on the Verve's 1998 US Tour entitled "How NOT to make it in the United States" with an introduction by another great Manchester act, James). Their management was simply horrible.

Nevertheless their albums were incredible and their musicianship was top notch. Aschroft's first solo LP is well worth the investment although it falls short of the Verve's LPs as most every album does.

Coldplay is a nice band with some good tunes, I enjoy them quite a bit although I am a bit resentful of the attention they've gotten based on one album relative to their superior (in my opinion) peers, notably Travis and particularly Doves. (Very much like Radiohead gets credit for all '90s UK rock and bands like the Verve and even Oasis - first two albums - take a back seat in the US)

I think the Doves v. Verve comparison is much more a worthy argument, as the Doves have now done 2 fantastic records. They are on their way to making it a horserace with bands like the Verve.

~*~

For me personally The Verve remain one of a few bands I have never tired of since History caught my attention..and certainly a very underrated band who I feel confident had a lot more to offer. I think for sheer musical scope and variety The Verve are in a different league..you can even go beyond A Storm In Heaven and listen to their mini-ep trio of All in the Mind, She's A Superstar, and Gravity Grave because they really could deliver beautiful epic songs which touched on so many styles and carved out a direction of their own. Nick McCabe I could never over-compliment, he really had a superb individual style and incredible scope to his playing. I consider Richard's voice to be one of the most touching and emotive I've ever heard and he has the lyrics to compliment it. Coldplay have a lot of potential and have a strong foundation to build on with Parachutes..but I don't see them delivering better than The Verve in any of these departments in my opinion.

I love Chris Martins voice but it is not in many ways similar to Jeff Buckley's.
Chris has to make constant use of falsetto whereas Jeff Buckley could sing INSANELY high notes in his regular voice!

Back
Top Bottom