Coldplay vs. The Verve - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 08-03-2002, 11:38 AM   #16
The Fly
Local Time: 08:57 AM
Glad to see the Verve getting some well-deserved recognition. Truly one of the greatest bands of the 1990's, 'tis a shame they were a**holes about it, they could have/should have been huge in the United States if not for their thoroughly British attitude towards touring the U.S. (I've always maintained you could write a good book on the Verve's 1998 US Tour entitled "How NOT to make it in the United States" with an introduction by another great Manchester act, James). Their management was simply horrible.

Nevertheless their albums were incredible and their musicianship was top notch. Aschroft's first solo LP is well worth the investment although it falls short of the Verve's LPs as most every album does.

Coldplay is a nice band with some good tunes, I enjoy them quite a bit although I am a bit resentful of the attention they've gotten based on one album relative to their superior (in my opinion) peers, notably Travis and particularly Doves. (Very much like Radiohead gets credit for all '90s UK rock and bands like the Verve and even Oasis - first two albums - take a back seat in the US)

I think the Doves v. Verve comparison is much more a worthy argument, as the Doves have now done 2 fantastic records. They are on their way to making it a horserace with bands like the Verve.

Old 08-03-2002, 11:41 AM   #17
Local Time: 02:57 PM

For me personally The Verve remain one of a few bands I have never tired of since History caught my attention..and certainly a very underrated band who I feel confident had a lot more to offer. I think for sheer musical scope and variety The Verve are in a different can even go beyond A Storm In Heaven and listen to their mini-ep trio of All in the Mind, She's A Superstar, and Gravity Grave because they really could deliver beautiful epic songs which touched on so many styles and carved out a direction of their own. Nick McCabe I could never over-compliment, he really had a superb individual style and incredible scope to his playing. I consider Richard's voice to be one of the most touching and emotive I've ever heard and he has the lyrics to compliment it. Coldplay have a lot of potential and have a strong foundation to build on with Parachutes..but I don't see them delivering better than The Verve in any of these departments in my opinion.

Old 08-03-2002, 11:50 AM   #18
love, blood, life
Local Time: 06:27 AM
I love Chris Martins voice but it is not in many ways similar to Jeff Buckley's.
Chris has to make constant use of falsetto whereas Jeff Buckley could sing INSANELY high notes in his regular voice!