Coldplay VS. Metallica in 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Strongbow

Refugee
Well, 2008 will see the 4th studio album from Coldplay sometime around Spring/Summer. For Metallica it will be their 9th studio album which should be released around Spring/Summer as well.

Which album do you think will be the most commercially successful?

Which album do you think will be the most critically acclaimed?

Which band will have the more successful tour?

Will Metallica regain the position it had with the "Black Album"?

Will Coldplay's new album be their Joshua Tree?

Both of the artists have sucked recently, but, objectively, I'll say it'll end up like this:

1. Coldplay's album will be more successful all across the board.

2. Metallica will never reach Black Album popularity again, but this album may be decent.

3. Please never compare anything Coldplay does to the Joshua Tree. Moderately OK bands don't release classics like that out of nowhere.

Both albums will do well, but Coldplay will do better (Metallica doesn't appeal so much to soccer moms)

Neither.

Metallica--stadiums of 20,000+ metalheads can't be wrong.

No.

Oh hell no.

LemonMelon said:

3. Please never compare anything Coldplay does to the Joshua Tree.

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Coldplay :barf: :sick:

You know, I actual used to think they were ok, and that 2nd album of theirs was somewhat decent, but then three things happened, and now I absolutely can't stand them/Chris Martin:

1. Chris Martin said the 1st song he played to his unborn child was "A Sort Of Homecoming". Ok, that's cool. I'm can be on board with that. ASOH is one of my all-time favorite U2 songs, so I could understand and was completely fine with that, but then . . .

2. "Speed Of Sound" came out and it completely sounded to me like some "Unforgettable Fire" outtake. Ok, so now by this point I'm starting to get a bit disheartened with them, but I still think they're ok, even if they're just a little bit U2 wannabes. And then the last nail in the coffin was . . .

3. Coldplay performed at some awards show (Grammys? MTV Music Awards? Billboard?) and Chris Martin was so pathetic playing "Speed Of Sound" and trying SO HARD to impersonate/be Bono. It was sickening. He was wearing all black and had pretty much stolen EVERY move, step, gesture, stance, leap, reach, volley, dance, spin, yelp and cadence that Bono has ever done! I remember my friends and I were watching and I thought Ok, well, maybe I'm just being overly sensitive b/c I love Bono so much, but then my friends turned to me and said, "Could he be any more pathetic? He's trying so hard to be Bono. He's so lame, he can't even have his own personality, he has to steal Bono's." And then I realized it wasn't just me, Chris Martin really was that pathetic.

After that I deleted every Coldplay album off my iPod.

Coldplay :barf: :sick:

Last edited:
I thought Parachutes was very good, and Rush Of Blood was OK. Then, of course, came the unpleasantness...:barf: :sick:

Isn't Brian Eno producing the next Coldplay record?

mediocrity of Coldplay <<<< Brian Eno's talent

I think we might get something good, I don't know, I only like Radiohead.

MrBrau1 said:
The Coldplay hate here makes about as much sense as the worship of everything Radiohead do.

Are you implying that Coldplay > Radiohead? :ohmy:

God, you're square.

Dalton said:
Sometimes I bathe in Thom's tears while the vibrations of Johnny's guitar genius make bubble.s

lame.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I thought Parachutes was an okay album. I still listen to Spies every once in a while. Great song. It's the rest of
Coldplay's material that I take offence to.

As for Metallica, I've never seen the appeal. They wrote a few cool tunes back in the day, but have long since ceased to be relevant.

MrBrau1 said:

Draw cartoons to make fun of people?

Cause it's cool?

I take that personally. Very, very personally.

Even though you weren't referring to me and I have no place in this conversation. :whistle:

GibsonGirl said:
Don't get me wrong, I thought Parachutes was an okay album. I still listen to Spies every once in a while. Great song. It's the rest of
Coldplay's material that I take offence to.

As for Metallica, I've never seen the appeal. They wrote a few cool tunes back in the day, but have long since ceased to be relevant.

spies :drool: :drool:

LemonMelon said:

I take that personally. Very, very personally.

Even though you weren't referring to me and I have no place in this conversation. :whistle:

Oh don't take it personally, he's probably just drunk.

Edit: As usual.

GibsonGirl said:

Oh don't take it personally, he's probably just drunk.

Edit: As usual.

Sometimes I wish I were drunk 24/7. That would be fascinating. Or maybe not.

Dalton said:

Who the fuck knows? That Chris Martin is all rhetorical questions and no answers. He's the world's most famous Kirby Vacuum Cleaner salesman...

I hear he's also rather good at writing songs that are a hundred miles long.

xaviMF22 said:
coldplay bashing :(

:mad:

Oh, come on, you know you love it. :wink:

X&Y makes HTDAAB look like a masterpiece, and LP4 will probably just be a sad attempt to rip off the moodier parts of Unforgettable Fire.

GibsonGirl said:

I seriously love that. :lol:

I like Parachutes, and think A Rush of Blood to the Head is very good. Each of those albums has two songs I simply love, and the rest I just think is nice. X&Y is just blah. But I'm still interested to see if they can pull off something else I'd love.

I'm very forgiving. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom