Coldplay - Viva La Vida - Keep Talking.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Better fucking not retire, I'd be devastated. There's something inherently refreshing about Coldplay, something to always look forward to, just a beacon of positivity amongst all the mindless, impersonal music out there....

What have the setlists been like? Pretty heavy on the new material I assume? Seeing them Saturday.

I am seeing them next Tuesday. I saw the tour as it began at the Forum in LA so I can only comment on that; not sure if they have changed it up since then. I want to be surprised if they do. But yeah, it was heavy on the new album definitely w/ a few greatest hits thrown in and a nice little surprise. Now they are playing OC and I predict a more sedate show, being in the burbs but then again you never know! They are such a guilty pleasure for me.

Seats behind the stage this time, but in close proximity to the stage so it should be... interesting.

Retire? That would be a different move... but a little bit premature and I think the record company would entice them.

What have the setlists been like? Pretty heavy on the new material I assume? Seeing them Saturday.

When I saw them it was indeed heavy on new material (about 10 songs or so). Maybe they now also include some songs that'll appear on Prospekt's March.
In any case, 10 songs off the new album, 2 or so from Parachutes, about 4 from AROBTTH and 2 from X&Y. That should be a good estimation.
Have fun!

:)

Here is the setlist for the Toronto show I went to back in July:

1. Life In Technicolor
2. Violet Hill
3. Clocks
4. In my Place
5. Viva La Vida
6. Yes!
7. 42
8. Fix You
9. Strawberry Swing
10. Chinese Sleep Chant
11. God Put A Smile On Your Face
12. Speed of Sound
13. Yellow
14. Lost!
15. The Scientist
16. If I Should Fall From Grace With God
17. Death Will Never Conquer

18. Talk Remix (over the PA)
19. Politik
20. Lovers In Japan
21. Death And All His Friends/ The Escapist (over the PA)

22. Don't Panic
23. The Dubliners

this is the main thing that bothers me about Coldplay. They don't change up their setlists. This is why I won't see them twice in one tour either. Last tour I saw them twice (months apart) and the setlists were identical.

this is the main thing that bothers me about Coldplay. They don't change up their setlists. This is why I won't see them twice in one tour either. Last tour I saw them twice (months apart) and the setlists were identical.

And does that bother you with U2?

OMG!!111!! Coldplay iz copiing U@ agin!1!!

I was at two Coldplay shows in September, and although these were great concerts I have to admit that I was surprised by the fact that the setlists were exactly the same.

It's unfair to compare them to U2 in this regard, because U2 mixed up their setlists so much more during the last tour.

After all they've got more material to choose from than Coldplay.

And does that bother you with U2?

OMG!!111!! Coldplay iz copiing U@ agin!1!!

U2 does not do it to the extend that coldplay does. I mean literally not a single change up in the setlist for coldplay (they keep the order the same too). Whereas U2 at least mixes up the setlist with a couple of songs thrown in. I went to 10 shows last tour and it was mixed up enough that each show was great. If U2 did what coldplay does i wouldn't be going to numerous shows trust me.

I was at two Coldplay shows in September, and although these were great concerts I have to admit that I was surprised by the fact that the setlists were exactly the same.

It's unfair to compare them to U2 in this regard, because U2 mixed up their setlists so much more during the last tour.

After all they've got more material to choose from than Coldplay.

agreed. But coldplay has enough of a catalog of songs now that they could throw a couple of songs in there and at least mix up the order of the songs.. I mean how can someone play the exact same setlist night after night.. I would be hella of bored...

U2 does not do it to the extend that coldplay does. I mean literally not a single change up in the setlist for coldplay (they keep the order the same too).

U2 did/does the same at times. No, not all the time and often less when the tour progresses (same as the Coldplay show I saw in October had a slightly different setlist as the one posted here). But they do play shows with not a single change up in the setlist.

:shrug:

U2 did/does the same at times. No, not all the time and often less when the tour progresses (same as the Coldplay show I saw in October had a slightly different setlist as the one posted here). But they do play shows with not a single change up in the setlist.

:shrug:

yes, agreed, beginning of u2 tours the setlists tend to be quite close but as you said when the tour progresses it changes up pretty nicely. Whereas Coldplay does not.

yes, agreed, beginning of u2 tours the setlists tend to be quite close but as you said when the tour progresses it changes up pretty nicely. Whereas Coldplay does not.

It doesn't? This setlist looks different from the one posted earlier...

1. Life In Technicolor
2. Violet Hill
3. Clocks
4. In My Place
5. Glass Of Water
6. Speed Of Sound
7. Cemeteries Of London
8. Chinese Sleep Chant
9. 42
10. Fix You
11. Strawberry Swing
12. God Put A Smile Upon Your Face (techno version)
13. Talk (techno remix)
14. The Hardest Part
15. Postcards From Far Away (piano instrumental)
16. Viva La Vida
17. Lost!
18. The Scientist (acoustic)
19. Death Will Never Conquer (acoustic - Will singing)
20. Viva La Vida (remix interlude)
First Encore
21. Politik
22. Lovers In Japan
23. Death And All His Friends
Second Encore
24. Yellow
25. The Escapist (outro)

:slant:

if you're arguing for u2 when it comes to setlists changes then you've obviously had too much of the bono kool aid and need some bruce lite or some vedder ultra in your diet.

seriously... 2-3 different songs, all of which are easily predictable based on the pattern of previous shows, does not a setlist change make.

pearl jam played 58 songs in 2 nights when i saw them at MSG this summer... only 8 songs repeated from night one to night two. that's a setlist change.

if you're arguing for u2 when it comes to setlists changes then you've obviously had too much of the bono kool aid.

seriously... 2-3 different songs, all of which are easily predictable based on the pattern of previous shows, does not a setlist change make.

Amen.

i am not the one that brought up U2 btw... Yes, there are similarities between U2 and Coldplay in the way of setlists but clearly Coldplay keeps their setlist structure intact more so than U2 does. And yes, what I wouldn't do to have U2 to change it up the way Bruce and PJ do but reality says no. I am ok with that tho.

The fifth leg was pretty goddam varied :shrug:

I mean, you knew what was coming in places, sure, but they shook it up a fair bit. 30 songs for the 7 Aus shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom