Coldplay - Viva La Vida - Keep Talking.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The day they first showed the cover to Viva La Vida was the night after I finished my semester, after having had an art history exam and having to cram a million slides and terms into my head...one of which was Delacroix's Liberty Leads the People... I almost screamed and ran away from my computer when I saw the cover.

The perverted braggarts in Coldplay are to appear on Saturday Night Live tonight!

Will new material be played?

Will embarrasing clothing be worn?

Will there be an abundance of awkward on-stage posturing?

Tune in to find out the answers to these questions and more...

i had never seen coldplay perform live before other than a few things on TV here and there... and yea, chris martin's gyrations on stage are, well, to be politicaly correct here, we'll just go with "odd"

they were quite good though... he's a hell of a frontman and was very funny in the post concert Q&A as well.

WTF was Chris Martin doing in the SNL performance just now???

High, or just...silly? It's like he's trying to stand out and also to connect with the crowd in some way, yet that performance was just...weird. The way he giggled at the end makes it seem like he knew he was being goofy.

:scratch:

The did 3 songs! Just finished Yellow with Chris giving a shout out to Obama. Only other band I can think of recently being allowed 3 songs was U2

:shocked:

WOW!!! 4 songs!!! Totally freakin' awesome!!!

Too bad it got cut off there at the end like U2.

Goin' to do some online searchin'!

I haven't been this excited since 4 years ago! But Bono beat Chris on the lap dance though. Still, I give the show a huge :up:

Thanks Lorne Michaels!!!!!

did you see the Obama fabric thing tied to his right upper arm... i think he likes him..:hmm:

I'm surprised there's any room left for his 'statements', considering how many other fucking things he wears.

I remember him on Denton maybe two years ago. It was the weirdest interview I've ever seen... he talked about hitting old ladies or something, and that he never had the confidence to talk to girls... anyone rememeber? In that interview he was wearing wristbands and about a million of those finger warming little fuckers.

I've listened to the album again today, after a long break. It has grown on me; I like pretty much everything except for Lovers in Japan/Reign of Love, Yes/Chinese Sleep Chant and Death and All His Friends. Six-minute epics are really not Coldplay's forte.

ummm... all three of those tracks you just named actually contain two songs each with an obvious break/pause in between the songs. they're just tied together to be hip and cool with the flow of the album or something. they're not one big "epic" song, which is fairly clear if you listen to them i would think.

i will agree that it's a grower... i thought they ruined lost with the clapping and all that and that the acoustic version was far superior on first listen, now i can't turn the regular version of lost off.

the only song that still has yet to grow on me is strawberry swing... even hearing it live, i still didn't like it. :up: to the rest of the album though.

So I'm apparently the only person who thought yelling Obama's name after a song was painfully embarrassing and off-putting, even more so considering they're not citizens?

Other than that, I enjoyed the performance quite a bit. I haven't really watched Coldplay live recently, and thought Chris' stage show seemed far goofier than I remember. Maybe it was just that the stage was so small that it just came across as strange. I liked how the camera men weren't sure what to do during the first half of Violet Hill because of how much he kept moving around. Sound wise, they were spot on.

I try not to come in here, but I got about halfway through that Viva La Vida performance and couldn't take it anymore, had to comment. Are you people serious? Could they look like a bigger bunch of knobs? The little drummer boy? LOL. Martin's posturing is beyond contrived, he seems to be getting worse and worse in his stage moves. And that whole back-to-back keyboard setup is so not rock and roll it's not even funny.

:sigh:

I imagine everyone will say the other songs were done better, but the notion that this was on the level of U2's appearance...no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom