Coldplay - Viva La Vida - Keep Talking.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to see Coldplay twice last week, first time in my hometown, Vienna, on Wednesday, second time in Munich on Friday. Atmosphere and audience was better in Munich, but the show was exactly the same, start to finish. They had video "balls" and two catwalks. There were more than just a few U2 references :wink: I liked the show, although it seemed more of a "Greatest Hits" show to me, with Coldplay playing it safe and performing almost exclusively their well-known songs and singles. They played everything from Viva La Vida, not everything worked very well live, I thought Violet Hill wasn't too good, but then again, it's one of my least favourite songs from the last album. Chris' falsetto voice is underwhelming, but he's a great piano player. Also it seems Coldplay doesn't like Parachutes, because they played only Yellow from that album, which I found a little sad. But overall great show without bombastic effects.

How was Chris Martin's voice overall? At the start of the tour it sounded like he was struggling a bit.

I've seen Coldplay live before and they're good but when they seem like a studio band more than a live band. Listening to an artist's live performances should be as good or better than listening to their albums. A whole, good sound quality concert should be as good if not better than listening to one of their albums. For me, when it comes to Coldplay, it seems their albums are always far more enjoyable then listening to their concerts. They are better in the studio than they are live.

How was Chris Martin's voice overall? At the start of the tour it sounded like he was struggling a bit.
I thought it sounded okay, very much like his studio voice, I couldn't make out much "struggling", but I'm not a really big fan of his voice anyway.

He made some nice jokes in between songs but in general didn't talk much.
There were some clear Bono-isms from time to time, like Chris referring to lead singers as "pain in the arse" before he handed the mic to the drummer for one song.

In my eyes those two sentences contradict each other. When a band plays (nearly) everything from its last album, then it's not a 'greatest hits' show. It would've been if they only played 2 or 3 new songs plus only hits.

What is a 'greatest hits' show in your opinion, BTW?

P.S. I'm going to see them on Thursday! :hyper:

OK, you're right, I correct myself here, outside of Viva it was mostly a "Greatest Hits" show. They fired off their biggest hits within the first half hour, but it was good because the audience was very enthusiastic.

Btw, Lovers in Japan was fantastic, not only because of the gazillions of butterfly-shaped "confetti" that were blown into the audience. It's actually a great live song!

Well, the whole idea of not liking Coldplay (Chris Martin), but liking Coldplay songs (whether you're closeted or open about it), reeks of tall poppy syndrome.

Chris Martin's living the life so many of us want and is living it well. So let's constantly criticise every little thing he says, wears, thinks, eats, sleeps with.

How dare he be a mega-star married to a movie star, and how dare he be inspired by his idols, and be open enough to admit to who it is that he is inspired by.

How dare he do what he wants to do

How dare he even be who he wants to be.

Chris Martin >>>>>>>>> anti-Chris Martin brigade

i won two free tickets to see coldplay at a secret, unannounced concert at hammerstein ballroom in late october. only 250 tickets were given out... i'm not allowed to bring my cell phone or camera in though 'cause it's being recorded to be broadcast on yahoo, which kinda sucks. what the hell am i supposed to do with my cell phone for the 3 hours of the show?

i won two free tickets to see coldplay at a secret, unannounced concert at hammerstein ballroom in late october. only 250 tickets were given out... i'm not allowed to bring my cell phone or camera in though 'cause it's being recorded to be broadcast on yahoo, which kinda sucks. what the hell am i supposed to do with my cell phone for the 3 hours of the show?

Just hide it in a back pocket or if you've got room, in yer crotch, or in a shoe or something......

Well, the whole idea of not liking Coldplay (Chris Martin), but liking Coldplay songs (whether you're closeted or open about it), reeks of tall poppy syndrome.

Chris Martin's living the life so many of us want and is living it well. So let's constantly criticise every little thing he says, wears, thinks, eats, sleeps with.

How dare he be a mega-star married to a movie star, and how dare he be inspired by his idols, and be open enough to admit to who it is that he is inspired by.

How dare he do what he wants to do

How dare he even be who he wants to be.

Chris Martin >>>>>>>>> anti-Chris Martin brigade

Fuck, you can also just not like the guy or the rest of the band, but care for some of their songs, can't you? Or do you have to like everything they put out in order to enjoy one song of theirs?

Poppy on that.

Fuck, you can also just not like the guy or the rest of the band, but care for some of their songs, can't you? Or do you have to like everything they put out in order to enjoy one song of theirs?

Poppy on that.

Cracking post, you little elitist bastard.

Poppy on that.

Well what the hell has he done wrong?

The Chris Martin hate is irrational.

I think Violet Hill is a pretty good song but I also think that Viva La Vida is quite bland and boring to my liking.

Official video of Lost! is up on coldplay.com

email I got from coldplay.com

Read about the Lost! EP, watch the Lost! video
Hello and welcome to the third edition of The Coldplay Messenger. We begin this one with the news that Coldplay's next single will be Lost! It will be released as a four-track, digital-only EP on November 10th across the world. The single's artwork looks like this and its video, filmed in Chicago, looks like this . Here's an exclusive little story from Will about the track's genesis. "That song had been around for a long time, without ever getting finished. I was starting to get into using a particular drum programming programme. I was messing around with that and I built this beat up from scratch. Then Chris overheard it and played Lost! over the top of it." Et voila! A cracking tune was born.

the link on their site doesn't work for me but here's the youtube link: YouTube - Coldplay Full Official Video For Lost! (2008)

This is my favorite song off the album.. and it friggin rocks live as u can see..

Well what the hell has he done wrong?

The Chris Martin hate is irrational.

I don't like the persona he's established for himself, or his voice that much. The latter's pretty important to liking a singer, I'd presume.

Official video of Lost! is up on coldplay.com

This is my favorite song off the album.. and it friggin rocks live as u can see..

The percussion on that is incredible. :drool: If you stripped away the vocals, it would stand alone as a pretty great instrumental. Coldplay aren’t Radiohead but hey, who really can be?

On a separate note, I love how key words are emphasized now in the posts. I’m sure this has been Discussed previously. Perhaps it has been discussed in Japan, while talking on a cell phone under an umbrella to shield the sun.

I think the Lost! Cd single comes with an instrumental version of the song.

Isn't it just the best. Perfect. Song of the year, no competition in my book. Probably Coldplay's best song. Glad it's been released as a single.

First I was disappointed after hearing the accoustic version of Lost! and then the album version, the accoustic one was much better.

Now that I heard the live version, this one is probably my favourite on. Lost! is just amazing live.

whoa whoa whoa! Let's not be saying things we can't take back here! While I enjoy Lost! I don't think it's their best song, one of my favs but not their best...

If I had to give a quick list (cus who doesn't like lists? :wink: ) I would say Elfa's Top 12 Coldplay Songs™ are:

Amsterdam
Don’t Panic
Strawberry Swing
Trouble
A Message
For You
See You Soon
Politik
Lost!
Gravity
Square One
I Ran Away

To me it just feels like their least self-conscious song. If that makes any sense. I don't know, it has that certain effortless something about it that I don't find in a lot of other Coldplay songs.

Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of their other stuff. But 'Til Kingdom Come stands out to me.

Lost! kicks ass. Along with Strawberry Swing, What If, Square One, Yellow, a few others its among my favourites.

I thought you were being sarcastic GAF :reject:

To me it just feels like their least self-conscious song. If that makes any sense. I don't know, it has that certain effortless something about it that I don't find in a lot of other Coldplay .

Fair enough.

If anything, Til Kingdom Come is Coldplay trying too hard to be effortless, just my opinion.

Exquisite effortless Coldplay is We Never Change and A Spell A Rebel Yelll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom