Coldplay - Viva La Vida - Keep Talking.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how you can consider him a 'great songwriter', inte.

I reckon he's a class act.

As much as he is the tall-poppy getting cut down, he still shines through to me as the fan living the dream and excelling at the dream. He's an easy target for critics. Too easy, cause people don't understand him. I'll get flamed for this, but I reckon he's exceptionally authentic. Most people wouldn't probably admit to it, but Chris Martin is probably the most identifiable singer-songwriter for so many folk the world over. Lyrically he can be clumsy, but that's rustic charm, something that Okereke has as well. Some lyricists can hide from clumsiness by relying on overly-abstract and shock-factor images (Yorke) and singing bollocks that serves only to provide lyrics where a vocal needs to be (Kapranos/Gallagher). A key difference between Martin and Okereke is that Martin has always been a more comfortable place mentally than Okereke I think.

If we made it, we'd probably be very similar to Martin, and that wouldn't be anything to be ashamed of.

He's the little engine that could, and he certainly did, and I reckon he's quite inspiring.

I've no problem with Chris Martin and I think he's a very likeable guy. But I do think he's a little engine who clearly wants to be a mighty big engine but doesn't quite have what it takes to pull it off. And he seems to have this anxious, self-conscious quality to him which can be quite endearing, but which IMO also prevents Coldplay from really cutting loose.

That is certainly different. I can see why it's not on the album or EP, cuz it sounds like nothing else from those sessions.

Not sure if I like it or not. This will require multiple listens.

Coldplay just announced a stadium-sized gig for September next year. And tickets will go on sale this Wednesday (so more than 10 months in advance!). Though it's the same venue as I first saw them live 5 years ago, I don't know yet if I want to go. Their Ahoy arena gig two months ago was excellent (and much more intimate).
And around that time I expect another band to be touring too... ;)

3075548700_b4fb6ae67f_b.jpg

balcony behind martin, front row, all the way to the left... dark green shirt. that's me :hi5:

The song Coldplay wrote with Kylie Minogue just debuted on Bono's (Red)Wire site.

It's different. A slow burner. But Kylie is sexy and has a sexy voice so there ya go. I think I like it.

I like it quite a bit - certainly a different direction. It sounds a little more like what I was expecting when the music press was claiming that Coldplay was going to expand their sound on Viva.

I reckon he's a class act.

As much as he is the tall-poppy getting cut down, he still shines through to me as the fan living the dream and excelling at the dream. He's an easy target for critics. Too easy, cause people don't understand him. I'll get flamed for this, but I reckon he's exceptionally authentic. Most people wouldn't probably admit to it, but Chris Martin is probably the most identifiable singer-songwriter for so many folk the world over. Lyrically he can be clumsy, but that's rustic charm, something that Okereke has as well. Some lyricists can hide from clumsiness by relying on overly-abstract and shock-factor images (Yorke) and singing bollocks that serves only to provide lyrics where a vocal needs to be (Kapranos/Gallagher). A key difference between Martin and Okereke is that Martin has always been a more comfortable place mentally than Okereke I think.

If we made it, we'd probably be very similar to Martin, and that wouldn't be anything to be ashamed of.

He's the little engine that could, and he certainly did, and I reckon he's quite inspiring.

I can see where you're coming from, especially re: the accessibility in the lyrics, and saying that Thom does rely on overly abstract images. But I still think he writes very ordinary lyrics. Meanwhile This Modern Love, for example, has solid lyrics that everyone can relate to, and they're simple, but they aren't ordinary or cringe-worthy.

I can see where you're coming from, especially re: the accessibility in the lyrics, and saying that Thom does rely on overly abstract images. But I still think he writes very ordinary lyrics. Meanwhile This Modern Love, for example, has solid lyrics that everyone can relate to, and they're simple, but they aren't ordinary or cringe-worthy.

There you go.

No one's bones are ignited in that song, if I can recall properly.

I saw Coldplay in Sheffield at the weekend, not really ever been a huge fan but they were really impressive, lots of energy, the songs mostly translated very well live. They certainly have honed the whole U2 'everyone-singing-to-the-rafters' anthemic thing quite well.

No bands before U2 had fans who sang along to music during concerts. None.

Coldplay are copying YET AGAIN.

There you go.

No one's bones are ignited in that song, if I can recall properly.

I agree with that Fix You is a seemingly ordinary lyric, but again it has to be clumsiness or an urgency to say ONE thing only in ONE way.....

If anything, Martin was a greater lyricist on the first two albums. This is not surprising. Many lyricists inevitably fall into a trap where they struggle to write anything especially as interesting as their previous work, due to the fact that they are on top of the world and in a special place mentally. Check out, in the most extreme case I can think of, Ed Kowalczyk's lyrics for instance. Thematically, the lyrics on post-grunge classic Throwing Copper are politically and socially interrogative, while the lyrics on his shite last album are all about how much he loves his daughters....

Even my favourite lyricist Morrissey, you sometimes wonder about the authenticity of his post 2000 lyrics.....and whether he is relying on shock-factor more frequently (I've had my face dragged through 15 miles of shit, and I do no like it") as opposed to his renowned wit ("I said Charles, don't you ever crave To appear on the front of the Daily Mail Dressed in your Mother's bridal veil ?")

Many lyricists lose their mojo....

Yeah cos thats really what I meant....:|

I know you didn't. I just like to jokingly further the conclusions, stereotypes, and crazy claims made in other sections of the forum about U2 and Coldplay. No offense intended!

Even my favourite lyricist Morrissey, you sometimes wonder about the authenticity of his post 2000 lyrics.....and whether he is relying on shock-factor more frequently (I've had my face dragged through 15 miles of shit, and I do no like it") as opposed to his renowned wit ("I said Charles, don't you ever crave To appear on the front of the Daily Mail Dressed in your Mother's bridal veil ?")

I can name one of someone's best lyrics and then name one of their worst and doesn't prove they're better overall; it's just what everyone does with U2 in EYKIS

Morrissey has wrote some great lyrics this decade that are up with his best, although overall you're right he probably was better in the 80s especially

I agree with that Fix You is a seemingly ordinary lyric, but again it has to be clumsiness or an urgency to say ONE thing only in ONE way.....

If anything, Martin was a greater lyricist on the first two albums. This is not surprising. Many lyricists inevitably fall into a trap where they struggle to write anything especially as interesting as their previous work, due to the fact that they are on top of the world and in a special place mentally. Check out, in the most extreme case I can think of, Ed Kowalczyk's lyrics for instance. Thematically, the lyrics on post-grunge classic Throwing Copper are politically and socially interrogative, while the lyrics on his shite last album are all about how much he loves his daughters....

That's a valid point, but I don't think it should be applied to a lyricist of a band who's supposedly on the rise.

In Bono's case, his lyrics have taken a dive towards the literal recently, but I still think he's earned a free pass with 20 years of previously stellar work. Your boy Moz earned his cred, too. What has Crackin' Martin done? 3 albums worth of competent rhymes and 1 spotty album at best.

"Swallowed in the Sea" sounds like a 12-year-old girl's love poem.

And yet it still sounds better than most of that album...

I'd consider that song firmly entrenched in the Full Shit category on that album.

"'Til Kingdom Come" and "A Message" are truly the only ones who come out unscathed. "The Hardest Part" barely qualifies because of the amazingly hilarious video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom