Coldplay - Viva La Vida - Keep Talking.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a solid EP... I'm liking some of the tracks, while The Lady Friend, who I screened this for earlier today, really liked it.

Such is life.

Looking around on coldplaying, the place is absolutely infuriating and says a lot about the band. I don't see them ever making any grand artistic statements, although I think the songs, know-how, and talent is there. They've built up this huge, moronic fan base and I surmise, through interviews and knowledge of the kind of people they are, they won't ever want to alienate it. Which sucks.

I'm not saying they're capable of a Kid A-like turn, but they could potentially do something very special. The song "Prospekt's March" is a great example of this. An entire album of that would be amazing. But they'll never do it because they have to have big singles and have to play stadiums and arenas.

They could have been an all-time great band. The tools are there, the songwriting chops are too. They never will be though. It's frustrating. It's frustrating for them to so readily settle for crap when they could seriously push themselves and do something exciting.

/rant

I'm not saying they're capable of a Kid A-like turn, but they could potentially do something very special. The song "Prospekt's March" is a great example of this. An entire album of that would be amazing. But they'll never do it because they have to have big singles and have to play stadiums and arenas.

Have no fear, Impster; Coldplay have already ripped off Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree, so it only serves to reason that they'll eventually reach Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Passengers, and Pop.

Back Seat Drivers: Not-So-Original Cinematic Musical Compositions 1.5 :rockon:

Looking around on coldplaying, the place is absolutely infuriating and says a lot about the band. I don't see them ever making any grand artistic statements, although I think the songs, know-how, and talent is there. They've built up this huge, moronic fan base and I surmise, through interviews and knowledge of the kind of people they are, they won't ever want to alienate it. Which sucks.

They could have been an all-time great band. The tools are there, the songwriting chops are too. They never will be though. It's frustrating. It's frustrating for them to so readily settle for crap when they could seriously push themselves and do something exciting.

/rant

You're absolutely right. They're like Michael Scott... he's a good salesman, but he's been promoted one position too high and he ain't too good at that job.

They lack the balls to challenge themselves into greatness... and if Viva is their big artistic statement, then wave that train good-bye.

IMO it's not as much a matter of Coldplay lacking balls to make a grand artistic statement; I just don't think they have it in them to start with.

I think that Coldlplay are at their best when they keep things simple and rely on their knack for melody and certain goofy charm. Which is probably not enough for all-time greatness, but it's not like music falls into two rigid categories where you're either an all-time great or totally worthless.

What do they have to do for all-time greatness? As radical as Kid A was, Radiohead probably won't be remembered for that particular album, it's Ok Computer which will define them due to the more enjoyable capacity of the album (particularly the singles), and rightfully so.

Maybe Coldplay don't like making music on computers?

And maybe Coldplay aren't as capitalistic as it is assumed. Maybe they're satisfied with their fortune now, and maybe this talk of Coldplay retiring might be merely a case of retiring from the commercial limelight to concetrate on working in the studio, ala Beatles?

Anyway, I look forward to investing in this EP, havent heard the new tracks yet, though I do wonder why Death Will Never Conquer and the terrific A Spell A Rebel Yell were not included. It would be a good means of tidying up all compositions from the VLV era.

Listened to the stream (didn't listen to the remixes, when will bands learn that 80% of the time rock remixes are horrible?), I like it quite a bit. Taking extra cash to the show tonight in case they possibly are selling the EP early.

Australian Tour announced..

Seven shows in February and March 2009

As anticipated, following Australian media articles unveiling several new 2009 tour dates today, here is the latest word from Coldplay.com: Good evening (or morning, for our readers down under). We're very pleased to announce that Coldplay are heading to Australia early next year to play seven shows. They are as follows:

Friday 27th February - Burswood Dome, Perth
Tuesday 3rd March - Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne
Wednesday 4th March - Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne
Sunday 8th March - Entertainment Centre, Brisbane
Monday 9th March - Entertainment Centre, Brisbane
Wednesday 11th March - Acer Arena, Sydney
Thursday 12th March - Acer Arena, Sydney

Here are the ticket details:

VISA Entertainment pre-sale
Starts Thursday 27th November, 9am (local time). Ends Saturday 29th November, 5pm (unless pre-sale sold out earlier). Any Visa card holder can buy during the pre-sale from visaentertainment.com.au or ticketek.com.au

General on-sale
Starts 9am (local time) Thursday 4th December – tickets available through ticketek.com.au or 132 849.

Phew, they're not tainting Adelaide soil.

Also, did anyone see the Idols perform Viva la Vida tonight? Bwahaha. The winner has an even thinner voice than Christ Martini!

Can Adelaide soil be any more tainted? :wink:

This gig is gonna be mega, awesome time of year, I know I'll be front and centre, will be getting well smashed after the gig......gonna be a ripper.

I'm glad I haven't been following their setlists at all, because according to the internet it contained "no surprises" (and I don't mean the Radiohead song!), but it was extremely satisfying for being my first time seeing them. Here's the setlist:

SLC - Nov. 22nd

Life In Technicolor
Violet Hill
Clocks
In My Place
Speed Of Sound
Cemeteries Of London
Chinese Sleep Chant
Fix You
Strawberry Swing
God Put A Smile Upon Your Face (techno version)
Talk (techno version)
The Hardest Part (Chris - piano instrumental)
Postcards From Far Away (Chris - piano instrumental)
Viva La Vida
Lost!
The Scientist (acoustic)
Death Will Never Conquer (acoustic - Will singing)
Viva La Vida (remix interlude)
------
Politik
Lovers In Japan
Death And All His Friends
-------
Yellow
The Escapist (outro)

I was surprised to find that it was much more satisfying to hear the new tracks than the "classics" (with the exception of Politik) for me personally. Even the songs I'm not usually much of a fan of (Strawberry Swing, Fix You) were enjoyable live. As I'd heard from a few people, the drummer is indeed quite impressive live. The guitar was too low in the mix for a couple of the first songs (Speed of Sound in particular), but luckily they fixed it early on and it ended up sounding great too. We ended up having 2 openers, Sleepercar and Jon Hopkins, and I enjoyed the hell out of both of them and likely end up buying stuff from both. Great night, great first time seeing Coldplay. :up:

I'm glad I haven't been following their setlists at all, because according to the internet it contained "no surprises" (and I don't mean the Radiohead song!), but it was extremely satisfying for being my first time seeing them.

:up:
And yeah, that's of course the usual situation. An artist/band can always change the setlist a lot, but the majority of people are often seeing the show for the first time. So surprises or not, it's the first (and often only) time they hear the songs live. The same with the setlist parties here during 'tour time'. You can always complain when reading the setlist that a certain song wasn't played (and many others were the same as the last show), but you weren't there. And the people who were at the concert probably enjoyed it very much.

Good to hear you enjoyed it. :)

Last edited:
And yeah, that's of course the usual situation. An artist/band can always change the setlist a lot, but the majority of people are often seeing the show for the first time. So surprises or not, it's the first (and often only) time they hear the songs live. The same with the setlist parties here during 'tour time'. You can always complain when reading the setlist that a certain song wasn't played (and many others were the same as the last show), but you weren't there. And the people who were at the concert probably enjoyed it very much.

Logic on the Internets :down:

This gig is gonna be mega, awesome time of year, I know I'll be front and centre, will be getting well smashed after the gig......gonna be a ripper.

Let's meet up, and do it in numbers.

Logic on the Internets :up: :up: :up:

That was my first Coldplay show and extremely glad that I was able to go. The band was great live and just had tons of energy. I could have watched the drummer for hours. A little disappointed that there was only one encore song (Yellow). More than likely they have to sing just to appease the masses (I would have killed to see Shiver or Daylight live).

But overall, great stuff. It was fun to rock and shout out Japanese with U2popmofo....

Why don't they play any old songs that weren't singles (other than Politik, which is still well known)? Why don't they play any of their (stellar) b sides? Why do they perform on the AMAs?

Seriously, why was Yellow the only song from Parachutes they played?

My friend explained that they simply don't like that album very much. They're mad, I tell you, maaaad!

I saw them two weeks ago and they blew my mind. It helped to have floor seats. ;)
IMG_2482.jpg

Marry me!

IMG_2484.jpg

IMG_2511.jpg

Their set was AWESOME!

IMG_2555.jpg

:heart:

IMG_2582.jpg

My favorite of the night...

IMG_2590.jpg

For obvious reasons!

IMG_2594.jpg

My favorite photo from the end of the show.

A+ would see again!

I'm picking up the EP tomorrow along with Kanye. What a mix, what a mix!

Coldplay to Split Up?

The group Coldplay is thinking of breaking up at the end of next year.

Lead singer for Coldplay, Chris Martin, announced that he and his group are planning on parting ways in late 2009, reports NME.com.

The musician revealed that he believes musical groups should separate before they get too old. He still hopes to stay as busy as possible from now until the end of 2009.

"I'm 31 now and I don't think that bands should keep going past 33," he said. "So, we're trying to pack in as much as possible. Up until the end of next year, we'll just go for it in every sense."

Coldplay to Split Up? | Sympatico / MSN inMusic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom