Coldplay - Viva La Vida... Continued Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question for people who know me.

Is this album any good? All I've heard or read about it since the news that Eno was producing was a single on the radio the other day. It was pretty weak.

What's the deal with this one.

If you have actually liked any of the previous Coldplay albums, then I suggest you get this one :)

I must say though I am enjoying the acoustic version of Lost....it's decent....

sorry to disappoint you U2Fan :wave:

However, there is a track on that album entitled Swallowed in the Sea which might very well be the worst thing that this band has ever done. Just bad. Crap on toast. I think Gwyneth must have written the lyrics to that one.

:hi5: As I put it in my epinions review of X&Y, Swallowed In The Sea is an insult to heartfelt emotion.

If you have actually liked any of the previous Coldplay albums, then I suggest you get this one :)

I must say though I am enjoying the acoustic version of Lost....it's decent....

sorry to disappoint you U2Fan :wave:

ok, I am confused.. Maybe u can enlighten me some.. You say you don't like Coldplay but u like this album... :confused::|

Layman's Review: Viva la Vida by Coldplay

Being a reasonably hardcore U2 fan, it felt like blasphemy of sorts to be pushing Coldplay's latest CD into my car CD player - much akin to attending a Mormon church, or driving a Proton.

However, the CD starts off well with an instrumental track, Life in Technicolor - which, the American misspelling notwithstanding, is excellent. However, the album then goes into Cemeteries in London, which, whilst being a pretty decent song, is quite possibly the worst jump/segue in any album I've heard.

A few other songs flow gently past, before coming to the excellent title track, Viva la Vida. This is, for want of a better comparison, Coldplay's Beautiful Day - an anthem that is distinctive, standout and great fun. The album then continues on with the "grower" Violet Hill, before coasting on to an end.

All in all, the album is, scarily, much like what Chris Martin himself said it to be - Coldplay's Unforgettable Fire. It is an experience that is all about sound and atmospherics, rather than pushing a point or hitting hard. The ambience and sheer brilliance of some of the instrumentation on this album are very reminiscent of the Unforgettable Fire, however Viva la Vida is let down by one thing and one thing only - Chris Martin.

His bland, slowly grating voice and equally bland lyrics are what prevent this album from being a genuine hit. If Martin were Bono, with Bono's earlier lyrical ability and voice (as he sometimes seems to wish), this album would have taken off the ground and never looked back. Instead, it wavers gently on the boundaries of greatness and mediocrity, hoping to tentatively make a foray into foreign territory.

Three out of five.

On a personal note, I quite enjoy the album, but the seguing of the songs just makes no sense at all. I tried seguing Life in Technicolor into Viva la Vida, and it was amazing. Doesn't help that those two tracks are the only ones that really stand out in the album, either.

ok, I am confused.. Maybe u can enlighten me some.. You say you don't like Coldplay but u like this album... :confused::|

Not that I want to stick up for Rob, but I think it's entirely possible not to like a band, but to like an album from said band. And, he never said he likes the album. Rather, he called the acoustic version of Lost! "decent."

THE DAILY SHOW WITH JON STEWART, Comedy Central

Mo 6/23: James McAvoy
Tu 6/24: TBA
We 6/25: Coldplay
Th 6/26: Ted Koppel

\randomdriveby

Not that I want to stick up for Rob, but I think it's entirely possible not to like a band, but to like an album from said band. And, he never said he likes the album. Rather, he called the acoustic version of Lost! "decent."

I guess so.. :shrug: thanks boMac.. I am not trying to pick on him or anything it just seemed confusing to me.. IMO

:huh:

yeah, there's nothing to be confused about....all I said was that I was enjoying the acoustic version of Lost...I actually prefer it to the non acoustic album version.

the album as a whole isn't bad....I think it's their best album to date for sure.

But Chris Martin as a person and musician irritates the hell out of me, and that frustration really just makes it a sometimes painful experience to listen to their music. They are so transparent with everything they do and fail so miserably as a band at the art of subtlety.

I don't hate Coldplay's music though. Coldplay is a very melodic band as are U2, and they try to follow the U2 formula so closely with everything they do, I can't hate their music...It just wouldn't make sense.

But I have very little respect for Chris Martin as a person and musician, and Coldplay as a band, which is the primary reason I will rarely ever listen to Coldplay. Their music itself though, overall, isn't terrible.

Edit: Oh! I love it! BoMac! - "Not that I want to stick up for Rob..." - :up:

:lol:

This album is pretty brilliant...never thought I'd say that about Coldplay, but there it is. I'll probably start loving crayfish sandwiches tomorrow.

COLDPLAY
Live at Brixton Academy 6/16/08

This played live on BBC Radio last week...just thought I'd share:
http://www.media fire.com/?oxt3u1sj1qz

Intro
Life in Technicolour
Violet Hill
Clocks
In My Place
Viva la Vida
Chinese Sleep Chant
God Put A Smile Upon Your Face
Square One
Trouble
Lost!
Strawberry Swing
Interlude
Yellow
Death Will Never Conquer (The Goldrush cover)
Fix You
Lovers in Japan

Haha I also was wondering what intedomine meant by that.

I think Laz might be pretty damn close with his translation.

COLDPLAY
Live at Brixton Academy 6/16/08

This played live on BBC Radio last week...just thought I'd share:
http://www.media fire.com/?oxt3u1sj1qz

Intro
Life in Technicolour
Violet Hill
Clocks
In My Place
Viva la Vida
Chinese Sleep Chant
God Put A Smile Upon Your Face
Square One
Trouble
Lost!
Strawberry Swing
Interlude
Yellow
Death Will Never Conquer (The Goldrush cover)
Fix You
Lovers in Japan

hahahahahahaha.....

I fucking loved the confetti during Viva la Vida.....oh my.....holy shit, I can't stop laughing after watching this video...

YouTube - Violet Hill - Viva la Vida Coldplay Live in BBC

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom