Coldplay - Viva La Vida... Continued Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's because cardboard doesn't hold up well against permafrost.

Yeah. On second thought, Sicy, don't move here. We haven't seen the sun in over two weeks and the temperature is currently 8 degrees. You'd be better off struggling with the digipaks.

But what's up with the cheap ass packaging? Dont they make CD's in plastic cases anymore?

I actually prefer cardboard packaging. Nicer feel to it, colours look brighter and fresher without the clear plastic in front of the artwork, and so far no problems with the labels. Peeling the labels off the plastic cases was always my pet peeve, the bloody things always left traces, :mad:

Cardboard's fine, but the set-up on this CD is ridiculous. Springsteen's Magic was a great example on doing it the right way.

Strawberry Swing is my favorite :love:

It's amazing, it's one of the most feel-good songs I'ver heard, the most pleasant song ever.....

Regarding the Thom Yorke influence, does anyone else hear the Yorke-inspired vocal in Lost!....the line regarding the big fish in a small pond, reminds me of Yorke's Kid A voice....

Thanks, Rob, I've only had the accoustic version of Lost!, which, btw, I like much more than the album version, that sounds a little overproduced to me.

I love how Eno downplayed the piano and falsettos on this one. The guitars and drums really stand out more. He made Coldplay sound much less like the Chris Martin Band. :up:

It's interesting how Life in Technicolor kind of ends in Death and All His Friends.

For me Viva La Vida may not have their best song ever but I feel like it's their best album.

ok I really like this. I've always been a very casual Coldplay fan. I like them enough to buy their cd's but I usually don't listen to them very long. This one feels different. I think it'll be played in the car a lot. :yes:

Does anyone hear a little bit of the Smashing Pumpkins' 'Disarm' in the middle part of 'Life In Technicolor', where the acoustic guitar becomes more pronounced? Just the melody that would go along with the line 'Disarm you with a smile'.

Maybe it's just me, but I swear I hear it a little bit.

Haha I wasn't even sure if I was gonna get this album but just ended up purchasing the last vinyl copy at the local Best Buy. The best part is that it includes the CD with it! Plus I was able to use my $5 reward coupon so essentially I only paid 10 bucks for the whole thing. :drool:

Since when did Best Buy start selling vinyl? I paid 25 dollars for it from the record store, and I would have preferred it for 15 at Best Buy. Oh well.

Since when did Best Buy start selling vinyl? I paid 25 dollars for it from the record store, and I would have preferred it for 15 at Best Buy. Oh well.

They have? Wowzers.

I'm glad that the Coz av is making a comeback. Whip zop, zibbity bop.

Yeah I was surprised too when I heard. They had to go get it from the stock room in the back or something. :lol: It was their last copy.

That Cosby avi wins! :laugh:

Yeah been listening to it pretty much on loop for the past couple of weeks. Probably their best album to date. Has a great flow to it which is only broken by the let down first single Violet Hill. Jesus it needed something better there. Still you can't have everything. Strawberry Swing and the brilliant "death and all his friends" get things back on track. Although Death and all his friends could have just been a little longer in my opinion. Anyone think that "Lost" has a "High and Dry" by radiohead feel about it. The guitar solo reminds me of that song.

Yeah been listening to it pretty much on loop for the past couple of weeks. Probably their best album to date. Has a great flow to it which is only broken by the let down first single Violet Hill. Jesus it needed something better there. Still you can't have everything. Strawberry Swing and the brilliant "death and all his friends" get things back on track. Although Death and all his friends could have just been a little longer in my opinion. Anyone think that "Lost" has a "High and Dry" by radiohead feel about it. The guitar solo reminds me of that song.

Lost! >>>> High and Dry - but I can't hear any similarities between the two yet.

Violet Hill is perfect in the album context I reckon, it just flows so brilliantly from VLV and into SS, quite stunning, and adds a bit of punch to the album.

If anything, VLV sounds out of place, it's too radio-friendly and string-y. Should have been a one-off single and maybe Famous Old Painters, Prospekt's March or Poppy Fields might have been an able substitute as Track 7....but that's just my opinion.

Death and All his Friends is perfect. Escapist is a corker of an ending to the album.

42 probably features the most breathtaking hooks and is real ear candy. It feels unfinished though, it would have been so much better had it gone off onto another tangent altogether, instead of just going back to the "Those Who Are Dead Are Not Dead" bit....

Haha I wasn't even sure if I was gonna get this album but just ended up purchasing the last vinyl copy at the local Best Buy. The best part is that it includes the CD with it! Plus I was able to use my $5 reward coupon so essentially I only paid 10 bucks for the whole thing. :drool:

:shocked:

I had no idea this version existed, I just restarted buying vinyl too.

Well given the album a few spins now, and I must say, I am enjoying it. Apart from the atrocious Violet Hill and the average Yes, it's not too bad at all. Favourite moments are Lovers in Japan, Chinese Sleep Chant and Life in Technicolour.

Martin's never going to be a Shakespeare though, let's be honest. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom