Coldplay - Viva La Vida... Continued Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Best to get it this week before the price goes up...and your conscience eats you alive for not paying for it! :huh:

I didn't buy a copy ..... I got one for free!

I love having a friend in the entertainment division of my company. :drool:

Meh! Most of us have stolen a lot of music over the years. I do buy and replace as many of my burned CDs as possible but I'm not gonna break my bank account doing it!

I wasn't sure which of those two posts to respond to haha. I understand that, I pretty much always buy the albums I listen to the leaks of (usually because I only put the effort in to download albums I know I'll buy but listen to out of impatience) but I don't always buy CDs that friends have given me a copy of.

Would've preferred a jewel case, always guaranteed to fit nicely into a cd rack.

Violet Hill is even better when listened to in an album context.

"Violet Hill" would've worked perfectly in context of the shitfest of X&Y.

211_kleenex.JPG

Here, my dear.

Well, there is this band called creakyboards who are claiming that Coldplay stole part of the melody of their song "The Song I didn't write" and used it in Viva La Vida. Here is the bands myspace webpage. "The Song I didn't Write" is the first one that plays on the webpage. Note that the song is on an album that was not released until this year(2008), but the band claimed that Chris Martin saw them in concert in October playing the song. Somehow I kind of doubt that, but anyway here is the link:

MySpace.com - creaky boards - BROOKLYN - Indie / Pop - www.myspace.com/creakyboards

I think there is some very vague similarities, but that happens a lot without it being someone actually having copied someone or even heard what they recorded.

The album so far sounds fantastic. Its probably Coldplay's best. I think they have gotten better with each album.

This just in from Billboard, Viva La Vida is now the #1 song in the United States. Viva La Vida was at #2 on the USA HOT 100 last week, but now moves into the top position. Its Coldplay's first #1 song in the United States, second top 10 hit, and 4th top 40 hit. If the song can remain #1 next week, it will be #1 with the album. I think its been a while since the same artist had both the #1 song and #1 album in the United States at the same time. Plus a really long time since a British artist has done so.

This just in from Billboard, Viva La Vida is now the #1 song in the United States. Viva La Vida was at #2 on the USA HOT 100 last week, but now moves into the top position. Its Coldplay's first #1 song in the United States, second top 10 hit, and 4th top 40 hit. If the song can remain #1 next week, it will be #1 with the album. I think its been a while since the same artist had both the #1 song and #1 album in the United States at the same time. Plus a really long time since a British artist has done so.

Wow. I remember discussing with my friend the commercial prospects of VH and Viva La Vida when they both kind of came out as singles at the same time, I didn't see VH being very radio-friendly, and while VLV is certainly catchy I never expected it to be a #1 song, especially in our current music atmosphere, although I'm sure the iTunes commercial helped...although somehow I've never seen it.

:lol:

you guys are funny :)

I really don't know where to start...but umm...yeah...this forum is sort of hidden away...and I have visited it before, but on accident and I never really knew how to get back here haha....anyway...now I know exactly how to get here!!! :lmao:

but yeah....I'm still pissed that they have a song called 42...it's very frustrating...and I do understand my mistake in the original thread, sorry

Ok let me just say that after listening to the album 11 times....I have to say it's fairly enjoyable...not incredible or anything...it's just very catchy, and that was the main thing that Martin wanted to create with this album- catchy tunes that the crowd could sing to- so he succeeded in that area...but Coldplay tries so hard to be U2 it's simply painful to watch/hear....I'd rather watch/hear the real deal than a bunch of wannabe sugary "rock stars"....:shrug:

one of the major things that will forever place a major constraint on Coldplay is the Bono Wannabe's voice....it's just so boring and simplistic and verges on monotone half the time...it's weak and comes off almost like a median between falsetto and regular singing voice ....which makes his falsetto rather uninteresting and unremarkable

When I listen to any U2 album, there are always moments during a song where I think "wow, I have to listen to that part again." And that part could only last 2 seconds, but these special moments are many times created because Bono's voice is so incredibly dynamic (Adam/Larry/Edge also have this effect, I'm just speaking in terms of Bono and Chris Martin). With this album, I rarely come across these moments, but when I do, it is always because of Brian Eno. In "Life In Technicolor," Eno is very present and you can hear these incredibly well placed high pitch frequencies that manage to come out of the instrumentation almost, and pierce through, no matter how subtle, and create these types of moments. This is by far the most interesting Coldplay album to date, and it is because of Brian Eno, so I can't help but admit that BRIAN ENO was an absolute perfect choice for their FOURTH STUDIO ALBUM!!! Well played Coldplay, well played :applaud: But Without Eno, I just find Coldplay so bland :shrug:

All I know is, I fully expect the next Coldplay album to feature telekinetic electro, with strands of room-temperature metal and a Peruvian influence.

See? Similar, yet almost different. Chris Martin is probably dreaming it all up right now while passed out in front of his computer (he was browsing PLEBA for a new look).

I really don't know where to start...but umm...yeah...this forum is sort of hidden away...and I have visited it before, but on accident and I never really knew how to get back here haha....anyway...now I know exactly how to get here!!! :lmao:

but yeah....I'm still pissed that they have a song called 42...it's very frustrating...and I do understand my mistake in the original thread, sorry

Ok let me just say that after listening to the album 11 times....I have to say it's fairly enjoyable...not incredible or anything...it's just very catchy, and that was the main thing that Martin wanted to create with this album- catchy tunes that the crowd could sing to- so he succeeded in that area...but Coldplay tries so hard to be U2 it's simply painful to watch/hear....I'd rather watch/hear the real deal than a bunch of wannabe sugary "rock stars"....:shrug:

one of the major things that will forever place a major constraint on Coldplay is the Bono Wannabe's voice....it's just so boring and simplistic and verges on monotone half the time...it's weak and comes off almost like a median between falsetto and regular singing voice ....which makes his falsetto rather uninteresting and unremarkable

When I listen to any U2 album, there are always moments during a song where I think "wow, I have to listen to that part again." And that part could only last 2 seconds, but these special moments are many times created because Bono's voice is so incredibly dynamic (Adam/Larry/Edge also have this effect, I'm just speaking in terms of Bono and Chris Martin). With this album, I rarely come across these moments, but when I do, it is always because of Brian Eno. In "Life In Technicolor," Eno is very present and you can hear these incredibly well placed high pitch frequencies that manage to come out of the instrumentation almost, and pierce through, no matter how subtle, and create these types of moments. This is by far the most interesting Coldplay album to date, and it is because of Brian Eno, so I can't help but admit that BRIAN ENO was an absolute perfect choice for their FOURTH STUDIO ALBUM!!! Well played Coldplay, well played :applaud: But Without Eno, I just find Coldplay so bland :shrug:

Just assuming that all the album's goodness is down to Eno a bit yeah?

Coldplay themselves are talented blokes who are very capable of making some great sounds and ripping out some cracking tunes.

Lovers In Japan is the closest thing anyone has come to sounding like U2, that is an achievement in itself....credit where it's due. One of the album's weaker moments though.

But I can't hear this Bono-wannabe voice yer on about, Martin's got his own awesome vocal to be proud of and it's utilised sensationally on this album, on Strawberry, Lost (if anything, a bit Yorkian in bits), Reign Of Love and DAAHF.

alright, I'll have a go :wink:

Rob, here's a thought if I might, if you don't like Coldplay - and this is just my opinion here:

DON'T LISTEN TO THEM!!!!

Now I realize that this is a wild and crazy concept and all and given the fact that you have listened to an album by a band that you "hate" 11 times in a row now but really, if they make you that mad, turn off the radio. Listen to one of your U2 CDs, write in your journal, take up stamp collecting, go jogging with friends - DO SOMETHING OTHER THAN OBSESS OVER THIS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom