Coldplay - Viva La Vida... Continued Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you going to brag about this in every post now?

Why don't you just change your screen name to LovinMacFister and be done with it?

Once you go mac you never go back.

I :heart: my macbook. I can't believe it's already been a year(nearly) since I got it.

I'll probably stop in a day or two, Mr. Lance's Mom jokes.

Here's my best of list (it runs over by 2 seconds, but if you cut 15 seconds from the Talk demo, then it's okay and doesn't ruin the flow of anything):

1. Politik
2. Viva la Vida
3. Clocks
4. Sleeping Sun
5. Lovers in Japan / Reign of Love
6. 'Til Kingdom Come
7. Trouble
8. Death and All His Friends / The Escapist
9. Moses
10. Shiver
11. The Hardest Part
12. Talk (Demo)
13. 42
14. Sparks
15. A Rush of Blood to the Head
16. Don't Panic
17. Amsterdam

I really didn't like excluding "I Bloom Blaum", "Warning Sign", and "A Message".

An EMI released Coldplay Best Of would probably look something like this:

1. Yellow
2. Don't Panice
3. Shiver
4. Trouble
5. Clocks
6. God Put A Smile On Your Face
7. The Scientist
8. In My Place
9. Speed Of Sound
10. Talk
11. Fix You
12. Violet Hill
13. Viva La Vida
14. Lovers In Japan
15. Bigger Stronger
16. *** new song ***

A personal one I'd compile would be

1. Politik
2. Talk
3. Lost
4. Yellow
5. We Never Change
6. Don't Panic
7. Moses
8. Clocks
9. Square One
10. Warning Sign
11. A Rush Of Blood To The Head
12. 42
13. Shiver
14. Strawberry Swing
15. Amsterdam

Really only just heard the new songs though, so it's too early to tell.

1. Til' Kingdom Come
2. Yellow
3. Talk
4. In My Pants
5. Shiver

I don't like any of the rest of 'em.

Coldplay sucks. :wink:

Here's the review from PopMatters.

Coldplay: Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends - PopMatters Music Review

I think it's a fair review, although I disagree with the reviewer's take on 42 (he thinks it is one of the worst songs on the album, along with Violet Hill). They ultimately give it a 7 out of 10.

The irony is that even though they say it's much better than X&Y, they gave that album the same rating. I understand it is different reviewers, but it's the same site. They should be just a bit more consistent.

Well, at least it's not U2. :D

Did Coldplay rip off a song?

by inMusic.ca staff
An American band is claiming they did.

Did Coldplay rip off another band's song?

A Brooklyn band is saying that the British band did in fact rip off their music. Andrew Hoepfner of the Creaky Boards says that Chris Martin of Coldplay heard Creaky Boards perform a song called The Songs I Didn't Write in 2007, and ripped it off to become Viva La Vida.

Martin says otherwise. According to the U.K.'s Guardian blog, Coldplay has denied the claim, saying that the track was "written and demoed in early March 2007, a full six months before Creaky Boards say Chris saw them play. In fact, it now transpires that Chris Martin might not have been at the gig at all."

The title track is up to #2 on the Billboard Hot 100. In this day and age, that's quite impressive for a rock band.

With the album out this week, I wouldn't be surprised if it made it to #1, although they'd have to get passed 'Lil Wayne. :lol:

Apologies if this has already been posted.....

Multi-Platinum Alternative Rockers Coldplay Debut New Single as Part of Downloadable Songpack for Guitar Hero® III: Legends of Rock

SANTA MONICA, Calif., Jun 13, 2008: The reflective and emotional chords of multi-award winning band Coldplay are making their debut on Activision, Inc.'s (Nasdaq:ATVI) Guitar Hero® III: Legends of Rock with the release of a three-track downloadable song pack.

Included in the song pack is the hit single "Violet Hill," from the band's highly anticipated new album, Viva la Vida, which is set for release on June 17, 2008. The pack also features Coldplay's first smash hit "Yellow" that earned them a legion of fans worldwide, as well as the upbeat and melodic tune "God Put a Smile Upon Your Face" from the Grammy® Award-winning album, A Rush of Blood to the Head. The Coldplay track pack will be available on June 19, 2008 for download on Xbox LIVE® Marketplace for Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and in the PLAYSTATION®Store for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system.

Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock offers the ultimate rock experience with new wireless guitars, freshly added content and features including a multiplayer action-inspired battle mode, grueling boss battles, a host of exclusive unlockable content and visually stunning rock venues. Expanded online multiplayer modes allow axe-shredders worldwide to compete head-to-head for true rock status as they riff through a star-studded soundtrack including master tracks by legendary artists such as Aerosmith, Guns 'N' Roses, The Rolling Stones, Beastie Boys, Rage Against the Machine and Pearl Jam, as well as original songs by guitar icons Slash and Tom Morello. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock is now available and is rated "T" for Teen by the ESRB. For more information visit GUITAR HERO®.

I want Folk Guitar Hero: Dylan Edition. That would own... and you'd have to try and sing-along.

GIBSON GIRL!!!!

Hey, maybe I was too vague or you misinterpreted me....but I wasn't referring to specifically Streets or Streets' intro in my original post about ripping off chord progressions, etc...

All I meant was that don't think for a second that Coldplay wasn't going after the Streets effect as the opening for the album. I'm sorry but with Life In Technicolor, for me, I can't listen to it without hearing a sugary, fake dumbed down version of Streets or COBL :shrug:

The one thing that's going to always be holding Coldplay back is Chris Martin- his voice is so weak and verges on monotone sometimes

All I meant was that don't think for a second that Coldplay wasn't going after the Streets effect as the opening for the album. I'm sorry but with Life In Technicolor, for me, I can't listen to it without hearing a sugary, fake dumbed down version of Streets or COBL :shrug:

Funny you should say that because the first time I heard COBL, I thought it was a sugary, fake, dumbed down version of Streets.

You guys are terrible and should feel ashamed of yourselves.

I thought the exact same thing.

Let's talk about how Coldplay's the self-proclaimed 7th best band in the world right now. That quote cracks me up, sounds like something Nigel would say in This Is Spinal Tap.

Hey, maybe I was too vague or you misinterpreted me....but I wasn't referring to specifically Streets or Streets' intro in my original post about ripping off chord progressions, etc...

All I meant was that don't think for a second that Coldplay wasn't going after the Streets effect as the opening for the album.

What, you're a member of the band now? :scratch: How could you possibly know what they were going after with "Life In Technicolor"? It's just an uplifting, atmospheric album opener. Nothing more, nothing less. If that alone makes the song a rip-off of "Streets," well my god, hundreds of bands should be forking royalties over to Bono and the lads then.

I'm curious, by the way. What chord progressions were you referring to?

I'm surprised that Pitchfork haven't given them Spinal Tap reviews:

X and Y - X and shite for example

I finally bothered to read the Pfork review. It's pretty clear that no matter what Coldplay do, as long as they hold onto their current sound (and no, Viva isn't a huge sonic transformation by any stretch) the best they'll ever get is a 7.0...maybe less. You could tell how difficult it was for them to even give out that 6.5.

The album currently has a 75 on metacritic, setting it behind AROBTTH (80) but ahead of Parachutes (72) and X&Y (72).

Can't believe I resisted listening to it before it was released and only listened once I picked it up today.
Cemeteries of London & Lost are my faves thus far :drool:

Cemeteries of London reminds me a bit of one of their earlier B-sides but I can't recall which one :hmm:

I love the new album. It makes me hate the original three. I was able to resist and listened to it today, when I bought it on CD, for the first time ever. :hyper:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom