Coldplay - Viva La Vida... Continued Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please. Tell me. If you think that tons of horseshit they've said or done in the public is consider to be badass, alrighty then.

bono_herpes.jpg

girls_aloud.jpg

liam-gallagher-sunglasses.jpg

ourliam.jpg

liamgallagher.jpg

So looking like an asshole blowing smoke at the camera and licking Bono's being a badass?

Okay, I guess we have different definitions of the word.

Kissing Bono is badass, ya wouldn't wanna mess with Ali.

Oasis are badass, if a little stupid, in getting kicked off a ferry in Amsterdam.

Badassism isn't necessarily a reason to like Oasis though.

Mind you those chicks in that pic posted by GirlsAloudFan is a reason for excitement.

Heard a story, Liam and Hutchence were at some pub in Dublin and they were almost about to kill each other until the ever-diplomatic Bono stepped in to sort out their differences. Hutch went back to his hotel and wrote Elegantly Wasted with the original lyrics "We're Better Than Oasis" instead the more commercially acceptable "I'm Elegantly Wasted."

Anyway, listened to VLV or DAAHF for the first time and it's a grower. Immediate stand-outs:

42:drool:
Lost:drool:
Chinese Sleep Chant:drool::drool:

Strawberry Swing :drool::drool::drool: (Travis-esque)

Kissing Bono is badass, ya wouldn't wanna mess with Ali.

Oasis are badass, if a little stupid, in getting kicked off a ferry in Amsterdam.

Badassism isn't necessarily a reason to like Oasis though.

Mind you those chicks in that pic posted by GirlsAloudFan is a reason for excitement.

Heard a story, Liam and Hutchence were at some pub in Dublin and they were almost about to kill each other until the ever-diplomatic Bono stepped in to sort out their differences. Hutch went back to his hotel and wrote Elegantly Wasted with the original lyrics "We're Better Than Oasis" instead the more commercially acceptable "I'm Elegantly Wasted."

Did the album come out in Australia or are you listening to a leak you bitched about everyone for listening to?

I still think you're confusing retarded hooligan-ism with badassery, but that's just me.

David Bowie, Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, the guys from Pearl Jam, and Jonny Greenwood all qualify as B.A. in my book. Not only do them pwn with their music, but they don't fucking cater to anyone or go out and make fools out of themselves in public (well, that's up to debate). Bowie never sat down and aped another artist for success - no, he did his own freaky Bowie thing and pwned the entire decade of the '70s. That's just one example, but the guys from Oasis... come on. The dudes from Coldplay aren't close - they would be if they kicked Chrissy Martin out of the band though.

We can both agree though that the guys from Gin Blossoms pretty much define the term "badass" though.

Did the album come out in Australia or are you listening to a leak you bitched about everyone for listening to?

I still think you're confusing retarded hooligan-ism with badassery, but that's just me.

David Bowie, Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, the guys from Pearl Jam, and Jonny Greenwood all qualify as B.A. in my book. Not only do them pwn with their music, but they don't fucking cater to anyone or go out and make fools out of themselves in public (well, that's up to debate). Bowie never sat down and aped another artist for success - no, he did his own freaky Bowie thing and pwned the entire decade of the '70s. That's just one example, but the guys from Oasis... come on. The dudes from Coldplay aren't close - they would be if they kicked Chrissy Martin out of the band though.

We can both agree though that the guys from Gin Blossoms pretty much define the term "badass" though.

Gin Blossoms should've been locked up and they should've thrown away the key, that's how badass those legends were

Martin ain't badass, but badassery ain't necessarily commendable. I'll love me Coldplay as they are.

How is Greenwood badass? I thought he was just some reclusive nerd.

Bowie I agree, twisted badassery.

Wouldn't hooliganism be a British form of American Badassery?

Yeah I purchased the album from me local on Saturday. Didn't appreciate or understand the flow at first, but then it finally clicked today. Cracking, and it's constantly growing.

Anyone know the extent of Timbaland's input, Lost! sounds like he's had his gifted hands on some of the production duties there.

And I hardly bitched. I just wondered how hard it was for folk to wait for a week.

Pitchfork have had their say.

For the record:
X&Y - 4.9
AROBTTH - 5.1 :huh:
Parachutes - 5.3

Not really a proper review, just another (742 and counting....) predictable, tiresome anti-Chris Martin tirade that is driven more by tall poppy syndrome than proper analysis of the music, but the chap does have some nice things to say about Lost! and Strawberry Swing.

Coldplay: Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends: Pitchfork Record Review

Pitchfork have had their say.

For the record:
X&Y - 4.9
AROBTTH - 5.1 :huh:
Parachutes - 5.3

Not really a proper review, just another (742 and counting....) predictable, tiresome anti-Chris Martin tirade that is driven more by tall poppy syndrome than proper analysis of the music, but the chap does have some nice things to say about Lost! and Strawberry Swing.

Coldplay: Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends: Pitchfork Record Review

For it being Pitchfork and the band being Coldplay, that review was actually quite good!

Wow Pitchfork gave Coldplay a half way decent review, I was expecting a 4.7 this time, they seemed to be moving in that direction

Although it appears we are back on topic for now, I'd just like to say that I think there's been enough Oasis discussion in this thread...especially since it sounds like all that is going to come from it are fights. Let's just keep sticking with the Coldplay, please.

Hahaha, didn't El-Mel predict a 6.5 from Pitchfork? :lol:

Yes, intedomine, you did bitch. Numerous times. But that's okay, since it's all cracking.

death and all his friends (the track) is really growing on me. it's just kind of progresses awesomely. still Lost! and Cemeteries of London are holding the top spots with DAAHS and Strawberry Swing moving up quickly. The acoustic lovers in Japan is better than the album track in my opinion.

Could I join ya?

One thing I love about Oasis is that what ya say and what ya hear is what ya get. No dodging around what they think, they say what they want and they say it real.

They're also proper working-class, like Bono, and not Privately Educated poor little rich boys like Thom Yorke and Chris Martin.
Bono isn't working class, that's a myth put about by Bono himself :wink: All of U2, except for Larry possibly, are solidly middle class.

No shame there. So were The Clash. It's how you come off, and who you play to.

Coldplay could have been orphaned and crawled out of the gutter, but they scream complacent privilege.

The new record has inspired me to put together a 'Best Of Coldplay' playlist. In doing so, I realized that I had forgotten how good AROBTTH is. I mean...I used 4 songs from Parachutes, 3 songs from X&Y, and 4 songs from Viva La Vida, and 8 songs from AROBTTH. The record is that good. Anyway, here it is - I tried to give it a good flow:

1.Politik
2.Violet Hill
3.Talk
4.A Whisper
5.Cemeteries Of London
6.Trouble
7.Warning Sign
8.Shiver
9.God Put A Smile Upon Your Face
10.Yellow
11.In My Place
12.Clocks
13.Speed Of Sound
14.Viva La Vida
15.The Scientist
16.Don't Panic
17.A Rush Of Blood To The Head
18.X&Y
19.Death And All His Friends

The new record has inspired me to put together a 'Best Of Coldplay' playlist. In doing so, I realized that I had forgotten how good AROBTTH is. I mean...I used 4 songs from Parachutes, 3 songs from X&Y, and 4 songs from Viva La Vida, and 8 songs from AROBTTH. The record is that good. Anyway, here it is - I tried to give it a good flow:

1.Politik
2.Violet Hill
3.Talk
4.A Whisper
5.Cemeteries Of London
6.Trouble
7.Warning Sign
8.Shiver
9.God Put A Smile Upon Your Face
10.Yellow
11.In My Place
12.Clocks
13.Speed Of Sound
14.Viva La Vida
15.The Scientist
16.Don't Panic
17.A Rush Of Blood To The Head
18.X&Y
19.Death And All His Friends

I had one I was pretty proud of before I switched over to my Mac. Can't comment on the flow, but our song choices would be about 1/2 of the same - you automatically fail for no "Amsterdam," however.

I'm going to pick this little bastard (not YLB) up on vinyl in about 50 minutes.

Huzzah!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom