Coldplay - Viva La Vida... Continued Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw the Coldplay iTunes commercial last night. What a fucking hoot. I sat there in a daze for about the first 10 seconds and then my body spontaneously leaped up off the couch, my arms flailed high and out of my mouth came, completely in tune and time with whatever the fuck was coming out of Martin's yap:

"I WANT TO BE BAAAANNNNOOOOOOOO, BAAAANNNNOOOO, BAAAANNNOOOOOO." (repeat)

:lol:

Spot on!
smielephantiy2.gif

Rolling Stone Review's "Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends"

3.5 stars

Coldplay's fourth release has been billed as their experimental record, as well as their political record. And it is both, relatively speaking. Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends opens with an anthemic riff played not on guitar but on a Persian santur — a hammered dulcimer common to the traditional music of Iraq and Iran. The album's lead single, "Violet Hill," describes a scene in which "priests clutched onto Bibles/Hollowed out to fit their rifles." Half the album's tracks float images of war, while others evoke God, religion or death.
Fun, right? It is, weirdly enough. Viva la Vida is Coldplay's effort to raise the creative bar in the wake of both huge commercial success and some not-insubstantial critical drubbing. But befitting their brand, the record isn't that much of a departure: It's still about stadium-scale melodies and singalong choruses. And while the experimentation makes this their most musically interesting album to date, its political messages are too vague to be heard amid its outsize hooks.

Coldplay have toured the world, and their frontman, Chris Martin, has done outreach in Africa with Oxfam International. So it makes sense that, from the title to the tunes, the set reflects some of the diversity of the band's global fan base, which made 2005's X&Y a Number One record in countries as far-flung as Lebanon, Chile, Malaysia and Thailand, as well as in the U.S. and the U.K. "Cemeteries of London," which evokes an English country ballad, begins the journey in Coldplay's own back yard, with images of a river "where Victorian ghosts pray." The plinking melody of "Strawberry Swing" has the breezy North Pacific lilt of Japanese music. "Yes" finds Martin dropping his voice to an uncharacteristically low octave amid bracing bursts of Arabic-flavored violin in a song addressing that universal pop-song problem: lust. Producer Brian Eno also helped bring the world-music vibe. (While Eno gets top billing, Coldplay enlisted other producers, including Markus Dravs, whose work with Björk and Arcade Fire also merges the odd and the anthemic.) Of course, Eno's work on The Unforgettable Fire and The Joshua Tree, by U2 — a band Coldplay revere and aspire to be — is probably more relevant here.

There are many U2 echoes on Viva la Vida, most notably Jonny Buckland's guitar tone, which is more aggressive than ever. The album's most sublime pop moment is probably "Lost!" a song about holding on against the odds that has the breathtaking loft of "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For." It builds on a simple church-organ riff, a kick drum and some hand claps to a rhythmically soaring, Edge-like guitar solo. Later, the slashing chords on "Chinese Sleep Chant" are so fierce that Martin's hollered vocals are overwhelmed, the melodic outline of his phrases barely discernible before searing psychedelic riffs erase him entirely.

Which isn't all that difficult to do. One of Martin's signature qualities is his anti-rock-star persona — a big part of what allows so many fans to project themselves into his boots when he's singing about pain or yearning or hope. It's also what makes him a surprisingly excellent hook singer, as he's proved playing foil to artists like Jay-Z ("Beach Chair") and Kanye West ("Homecoming"). No way is Martin going to challenge these egos. He has an admirably Zenlike ability to get out of the way of even his own songs.

But there's something troubling about his lack of clear political messages. In "Violet Hill," he declares, "I don't want to be a soldier/Who the captain of some sinking ship/Would stow, far below" — adding later, "Bury me in armor." In "Lovers in Japan," he states, "Soldiers you've got to soldier on/Sometimes even the right is wrong." Are these peace anthems or encouragements to valiant warriors? Can they be both? Similarly, the title track seems to be about the end of an empire. But its rousing chorus — "I hear Jerusalem bells a-ringing/Roman cavalry choirs are singing" — feels like a rallying cry for a Christian empire. Where's an Arabic violin break when you need one?

Coldplay's desire to unite fans around the world with an entertainment they can all relate to is the band's strength, and a worthy goal. But on Viva la Vida, a record that wants to make strong statements, it's also a weakness. Sometimes, to say what needs to be said, you need to risk pissing people off.

It sounds like his only beef is the lyrics aren't political enough. So what. I think it deserves 4 stars, myself.

I read the review for The new album in the Sun today.

God I'm sick to death of the U2/Coldplay comparisons....I wasn't sure if this guy was reviewing the New U2 album or what!

I saw that as well... would have preferred a review that reviewed the album, not "A great song with typical Martin piano (one or two lines about Coldplay then) and aren't U2 fantastic there is definite U2 here U2 U2 U2"

Maybe they'll do it for the new U2 album. "You can really hear the influence of Martin...."

Rolling Stone Review's "Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends"

3.5 stars

...Coldplay have toured the world, and their frontman, Chris Martin, has done outreach in Africa with Oxfam International...

I hate record reviews, especially when they veer off into band members' personal pursuits. Stick to the music! I've been out of commission with some health things, and I haven't heard the entire album...but Viva La Vida is a great song. And, as we all know, it's very hard to create a sense of joy in the studio! (That was my official Brian Eno quote-of-the-day.) ;)

Chris Martin Gives the Cold(play) Shoulder

Los Angeles (E! Online) - If the best way to measure the growth of a band is by the tantrums thrown by its frontman, then Coldplay just reached the next plateau of their career.

Adding "the music" to the list of topics that are off-limits to query him on (joining wife Gwyneth Paltrow and their kids as interview no-fly zones), the otherwise mellow Chris Martin stormed out of a radio interview with the BBC Thursday, claiming the interviewer was "journalistically twisting" his words and that he was flat-out "not really enjoying this."

Read on to hear the moment the hissy fit hit...

Martin's boiling point came just nine minutes into the piece, and he left fellow bandmate Will Champion to finish out the majority of the interview before returning to answer one final question.

The duo was being interviewed by John Wilson for BBC Radio 4's cultural arts program, Front Row, when Wilson began a line of questioning related to the title of Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends, and the band's presumed preoccupation with death.

"I wouldn't agree with you there at all, no," Martin said. "I'd say you're journalistically twisting me into saying something I don't really mean."

A few minutes later, Wilson asked about the lyrics of "Viva La Vida," the first single. After some shifting at the microphone, Martin said he was "not really enjoying this" and asked if he could take two minutes before getting up and walking out of the studio.

"I just don't really like having to talk about things," he said.

"Have I upset him?" Wilson asked Champion. "I don't think I said anything consciously..."

"No, I don't think so," the drummer said without missing a beat and answering the question posed to his bandmate.

The interview fared no better at the start (or end, for that matter), when Wilson at the outset asked Martin about comments he made at an awards show back in 2005 in which he said the group would be away "for a very long time."

"I always say stupid things, and I think Radio 4 is the place that will most remind me of that," he said.

Upon his brief return to the studio at the end of the show, he was asked a seemingly banal question about finding "new musical territory" on the new album.

"Um...yes, yes, yes...exactly."

Viva la moodiness.

Martin has a chance to redeem himself with the broadcasting giant later today, as he's scheduled to appear on another radio show on a separate BBC station.

:|

God, he's approaching a Gallagher Bros. level of wankdom. Just the moody, banal version instead of the vitriolic, douchebaggy version.

Just listened to the new album and my reaction is mixed at the moment. On one hand it's a huge improvement on X&Y (though how hard could -that- be) and it has some moments of genuine loveliness and charm, most notably "Cemeteries of London", "Vida la Vida" and "Strawberry Swing". It also sounds great (thanks, Brian Eno). On another hand, it's really not as much of a re-invention as the wacky song titles and the un-Coldplaylike artwork had suggested. Despite the occasional exotic instruments, abrupt shifts, etc. at the core it still feels like same old Coldplay songwriting - good when done well but ultimately limited. Plus some of these two-in-one songs strike me as a contrived attempt to show that look ma, I can switch tempos, rather than something that actually serves the song and feels organic. So yeah, good effort, but IMO Coldplay are still playing in the minor league.

I like Coldplay's music and think their new album is really very good, but with an attitude like described in the article below they will never become the second U2. :tsk:

God, he's approaching a Gallagher Bros. level of wankdom. Just the moody, banal version instead of the vitriolic, douchebaggy version.

Whoa! Hold up.

I'm not sure how closely you have followed the career exploits of the brothers Gallagher...we don't need to go into it in detail...but Liam and Noel are not even CLOSE to douchebags.

In fact, on a good day, I'd go so far as to say that they are the antithesis of douchebaggery.

Thankyou.

Whoa! Hold up.

I'm not sure how closely you have followed the career exploits of the brothers Gallagher...we don't need to go into it in detail...but Liam and Noel are not even CLOSE to douchebags.

In fact, on a good day, I'd go so far as to say that they are the antithesis of douchebaggery.

Thankyou.

Ha!

I don't know what your criteria is for douchebaggery is, but Liam and Noel are two of the biggest I've ever seen in the world of music.

Unless you think publicly wishing AIDS on a rival band's singer is the paragon of class, to name one well-known example.

Fucking hooligans.

It's also nice to know that I don't even need to be in this thread for the fans to turn on Coldplay so quickly.

Like I said, I don't want to go into detail or get in an argument about Oasis.

I really shouldn't have even posted that. But I'll just say that, yeah, Noel and Liam are cool and anyone who thinks differently is WRONG. I could provide a goddam surplus of written and visual evidence that would prove how badass they are but I'm not really in the mood. Maybe later.

Cool? I suppose depending on your criteria, but that doesn't give them the almighty right to run their mouths the way they do about all kinds of other artists like they are the best musicians that ever lived. A little humility goes a long way, (as does learning from others rather than bashing anyone who gets praise).

This is a perfectly good little Coldplay thread here so I won't engage in heated debate Oasis in this particular spot.

But Noel, Liam, and I are waiting in the alley with lead pipes and bottles of lager and we're ready to street-fight any of you motherfuckers who want to talk shit about us. :wink:

Your sense of humor about it doesn't change the fact that "badass" and "douchebag" are not mutually exclusive.

And I could only imagine what they'd have to say about Coldplay and Chrissy Martin.

I'm sure I read a quote back in the Parachutes days when they called Coldplay music for bedwetters.

I was just reading some reviews of the new Coldplay album in our media. It's so annoying that most reviewers use this album, whether they like it or not, to bash U2. There are some who say Coldplay suck, because U2 suck and Coldplay just sounds like U2. And some are saying Coldplay's fine because they sound like U2, but better. :huh: I hate reviews.

Are you sure that's not from the second album, A Rush of Pee to the Bed?

It only happened because they slept in Parachute Pants.

I really like "Death and All of His Friends." The ending has this cool post-rock vibe and soaring guitar, I just wish there weren't vocals right there. "The Escapist" is a nice little call-back to the first track, too.

This is a perfectly good little Coldplay thread here so I won't engage in heated debate Oasis in this particular spot.

But Noel, Liam, and I are waiting in the alley with lead pipes and bottles of lager and we're ready to street-fight any of you motherfuckers who want to talk shit about us. :wink:

Could I join ya?

One thing I love about Oasis is that what ya say and what ya hear is what ya get. No dodging around what they think, they say what they want and they say it real.

They're also proper working-class, like Bono, and not Privately Educated poor little rich boys like Thom Yorke and Chris Martin.

I have to say that those violin 'shrieks' in Yes remind me a bit of Suds & Soda by dEUS. Great song(s) though! :yes:

Like I said, I don't want to go into detail or get in an argument about Oasis.

I really shouldn't have even posted that. But I'll just say that, yeah, Noel and Liam are cool and anyone who thinks differently is WRONG. I could provide a goddam surplus of written and visual evidence that would prove how badass they are but I'm not really in the mood. Maybe later.

Please. Tell me. If you think that tons of horseshit they've said or done in the public is consider to be badass, alrighty then.

I was just reading some reviews of the new Coldplay album in our media. It's so annoying that most reviewers use this album, whether they like it or not, to bash U2. There are some who say Coldplay suck, because U2 suck and Coldplay just sounds like U2. And some are saying Coldplay's fine because they sound like U2, but better. :huh: I hate reviews.

Really? I haven't read a single review of Viva La Vida that doesn't mention U2, but not disparagingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom