Coldplay - Viva La Vida... Continued Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I gotta say, it never once occurred to me to think of Pink Floyd as an obvious comparison to Coldplay. Radiohead and U2, yeah, but Pink Floyd? :huh: The only Coldplay song that -maybe- evokes Pink Floyd for me is "A Whisper", but otherwise I honestly can't see similarities aside from the ones that are so broad they're irrelevant.

I just find it bizarre that a band like Coldplay is in this place where their albums are genuine events and they're the subject of all this scrutiny and cultural debates and articles such as Mr Gill's. I can't help feeling that despite all the millions they sold and the media coverage they received and the ever-increasing epicness in their music they still have that "good-lil'-band" thing about them.

I think the Pink Floyd-Coldplay thing can be traced back to the comparison some people place between Pink Floyd and Radiohead (ie. Radiohead being the 90's equivalent to the Pink Floyd of the 70's) and the subsequent connection between Radiohead and Coldplay.

Mind you, I think the whole link between PF and Coldplay is very dodgy. When I hear Til Kingdom' Come it does remind me of a poor-man's On The Turning Away (as others have also said), and I suppose some of Coldplay's Parachutes-era ballads share the delicacy of Wish You Were Here.

I read the review for The new album in the Sun today.

God I'm sick to death of the U2/Coldplay comparisons....I wasn't sure if this guy was reviewing the New U2 album or what!

I really liked the interview.

As much as I love Coldplay - and the new album - for me, the most interesting parts were the bits involving Eno and, of course, how this might affect U2's upcoming album.

Martin always uses a sort of self-effacing hyperbole when discussing his influences, but it sounds like Eno basically had his way with the band, working from a sort of destroy-and-rebuild plan, penning one of my favorite lines, and suggesting the slight prog-rock influences found in Viva La Vida.

If his influence was as prominent as suggested, I think this bodes well for the upcoming U2. Eno seems to be only getting sharper with the years. I hope he decided to outdo himself with the new U2, because this Coldplay stuff is awfully sharp.

Again, as much as my respect for Coldplay continues to grow, I'm rooting for the boys from Dublin to blow us away.

As much as I love Coldplay - and the new album - for me, the most interesting parts were the bits involving Eno and, of course, how this might affect U2's upcoming album.

I agree, this part I found interesting:

But there was one day where Brian Eno came in and said, "I think prog-rock is vastly underestimated and will one day be fashionable again. And I think you should consider not necessarily doing the same song structures that you have done before." And anytime that he says he finds something exciting, you just kind of do it.

:hmm:

i got tickets for the July 30th show in TO! :hyper:

...$78 tickets :uhoh: but tickets nonetheless...

yeah, I'm working on a friend with connections to see if I can get freebies from a promoter she knows. I'd love to see Coldplay live, but I don't really want to pay $77 for 400-level tickets....

No Pacific Northwest dates? At all? No Portland, Seattle or Vancouver?

Whatever, lame-os.

The Pemberton Festival is the only gig in our neck of the woods. Albeit the gig isn't in an urban area and it's not their concert, but it is 2 hours north of Vancouver. I won't be going though.

Members of U2 (bar Bono) were spotted at Radiohead’s show last weekend at Dublin’s Malahide Castle. It’s not likely Chris Martin was invited for the afterparty. Coldplay’s Chris Martin says he dreams about U2 and Radiohead: “I always dream about other musicians. And with U2 or Radiohead it’s always, ‘Hey, how are you doing?’ And they are never interested in hanging out with us. It’s a permanent feeling of being at school and the bigger boys don’t want to play with you”. Speaking to Q Magazine he said: “I dreamed about Radiohead last night and Westlife the night before, which is the perfect blend of what we’re trying to do musically.”

:)

That's kinda like saying Coldplay's the nerdy kid wanting to sit at the cool kid table (Radiohead and U2) at lunch?

Members of U2 (bar Bono) were spotted at Radiohead’s show last weekend at Dublin’s Malahide Castle. It’s not likely Chris Martin was invited for the afterparty. Coldplay’s Chris Martin says he dreams about U2 and Radiohead: “I always dream about other musicians. And with U2 or Radiohead it’s always, ‘Hey, how are you doing?’ And they are never interested in hanging out with us. It’s a permanent feeling of being at school and the bigger boys don’t want to play with you”. Speaking to Q Magazine he said: “I dreamed about Radiohead last night and Westlife the night before, which is the perfect blend of what we’re trying to do musically.”

:)

Critically Radiohead may be more revered, but as for the whole 'big boys' thing, Coldplay is much more commercially successful (granted that's their thing, and RH like modern Pearl Jam don't try very hard for mainstream success)

I just saw the Coldplay iTunes commercial last night. What a fucking hoot. I sat there in a daze for about the first 10 seconds and then my body spontaneously leaped up off the couch, my arms flailed high and out of my mouth came, completely in tune and time with whatever the fuck was coming out of Martin's yap:

"I WANT TO BE BAAAANNNNOOOOOOOO, BAAAANNNNOOOO, BAAAANNNOOOOOO." (repeat)

:lol:

I just saw the Coldplay iTunes commercial last night. What a fucking hoot. I sat there in a daze for about the first 10 seconds and then my body spontaneously leaped up off the couch, my arms flailed high and out of my mouth came, completely in tune and time with whatever the fuck was coming out of Martin's yap:

"I WANT TO BE BAAAANNNNOOOOOOOO, BAAAANNNNOOOO, BAAAANNNOOOOOO." (repeat)

:lol:

This is hilarious on too many levels.

I haven't come in this thread yet because I heard the whole album leaked. I don't want to hear anything besides 'Violet Hill' and 'Viva La Vida' until I go on my iTunes binge and buy it next Tuesday. I can't wait, though.:hyper: And then we only have a few months left until new U2:drool::drool::drool::drool::hyper:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom