Coldplay - Viva La Vida... Continued Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised he doesn't consider U2 to be among the very best bands in the world. I guess "I always view our albums in terms of U2 albums" is enough praise for one interview.

PS: I find Sigur Ros insufferably boring. Arcade Fire was a good choice though.

Right. It's great overall as an album, and I like it better than X&Y, but individual songs don't grab me like they do on AROBTTH or Parachutes. Cemeteries of London is an exception, I absolutely love that one :yes:

Nah I don't mind Chris Martin always comparing his band with U2. Its nice to hear a major artist actually acknowledging the fact that they are big fans of U2. I remember him saying that The Unforgetable Fire was the first album he played to his baby.....I think the track "A sort of homecoming" was the track he said.All it shows is that Chris Martin has great taste in music. :wink:

Wait, Coldplay's the self-acclaimed 7th greatest band in the world?

Kind of an arbitrary number.

Having listened to the album a handful of times Life In Technicolor / The Escapist, Cemeteries Of London, Lost, Lovers In Japan, Yes, Violet Hill, Strawberry Swing, Death And All His Friends - are all stand out tracks, I have really enjoyed listening to them.

The major issue I'm having with the album is the sound as a whole. Not because it sucks - it's actually pretty good, a step up from X&Y and in a good direction - but it's got Eno - Edge - Adam - U2 written all over it.

Even the free single/download and free concert gimmick shines of Radiohead.
I can't help but think Coldplay are picking great bands to bits in order to try and form some sort of almighty superpower.
The song title '42' on Viva itself makes me want to scream - I know all numbers in the world can't be excluded from song titles just because U2 made a song called '40' but pleeeeease...:sick:

Chris Martin is renowned for his cocky attitude - IMO his Viva antics have shone through, a big disappointment. His positive rants about U2 while he copies them to death - putting Coldplay in modestly as 7th best band in the world - it's all a load of crap.

I hope U2's finished product really is groundbreaking - and different to any other Eno/Lanois collaboration in the past. I hope between them they can reinvent the wheel.

Fark, even my mum - a casual Coldplay fan (Parachutes, AROBTTH) heard parts of Viva (the album) and came to me asking "What's this? New U2?"...:mad:

Good album - but out of spite - it's going in the trash. :D

I can't help but think Coldplay are picking great bands to bits in order to try and form some sort of almighty superpower.

Name a band who doesn't pick the bits they like about other bands to inspire their own band?

Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief. Even The Beatles were, and that's not a criticism.

I hardly think that C-Play ripped off R-Hed with the Violet Hill download. That's just they way popular music is going in terms of how it's marketed.

The song title '42' on Viva itself makes me want to scream - I know all numbers in the world can't be excluded from song titles just because U2 made a song called '40' but pleeeeease

42 is not called 42 because of 40. Where on earth did you get that idea?

COLDPLAY KICKS OFF “VIVA LA VIDA”

NORTH AMERICAN TOUR ON JULY 14 IN LOS ANGELES;

PEMBERTON FESTIVAL ON JULY 27 IS FIRST CANADIAN DATE

LOTS OF EXCITING CANADIAN AND US TV APPEARANCES COMING UP

Coldplay will launch their “Viva La Vida” North American tour with two sold-out shows at The Forum in Los Angeles on July 14 and 15. Fans snapped up an impressive 30,000 tickets in under 45 minutes time for the Los Angeles dates this past Saturday. Tickets for the tour are scheduled to go on sale this weekend in Montreal, Toronto, San Jose, Chicago and Boston. The complete tour itinerary is listed below with additional on sale dates to be announced. Details are available at coldplay <http://www.coldplay.com> or at Live Nation | Find Concert Tickets, Tour Dates, & Seating Charts <http://www.livenation.com> .

The first few dates of the North American tour have been rescheduled due to production delays. “We’re very sorry, but we promise you a show worthy of your patience and understanding when we start in mid-July,” said Coldplay. Tickets already purchased for these shows will be honored on the new dates.

To celebrate the “Viva La Vida” tour and their upcoming album of the same name (scheduled for release in North America on June 17), the band will play free concerts in London (June 16 at the Brixton Academy) and New York City (June 23 at Madison Square Garden) - tickets for these shows have already been given away via a contest. Fans can also tune into catch Coldplay performances or interviews on the following programs: June 12 & 26 - MuchMoreMusic Profile, June 14 & 15 - The Loop Weekend on MuchMoreMusic, June 16 - MusiquePlus Coldplay Special, June 16 - eTalk on CTV, June 16 & 17 - TQS Flash, June 17 - MuchNews on MOD, June 26 - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, June 27 - TODAY Show and July 5 - Musimax Coldplay Special..

Renowned director/photographer Anton Corbijn will lens the video for the album’s title track. “Violet Hill,” the first single from the upcoming album, is a massive multi-format hit in Canada - according to BDS - #3 at Modern Rock, #5 at Rock, while it is also Top 15 on the All Format Chart, Top 30 at Hot AC and Top 50 at CHR. The accompanying video is receiving massive exposure and on the Countdown Charts for MuchMusic, MuchMoreMusic, MusiquePlus and Musimax. Produced by Brian Eno and Markus Dravs, Viva La Vida is the follow-up to 2005’s X&Y, which debuted at #1 in 32 countries (including Canada) and has sold 10 million copies worldwide to date.

Upcoming North American tour dates are as follows:

COLDPLAY – “VIVA LA VIDA” NORTH AMERICAN TOUR
(all dates are subject to change)

Date City Venue Public On Sale Date

7/14 Los Angeles, CA The Forum SOLD OUT
7/15 Los Angeles, CA The Forum SOLD OUT
7/18 San Jose, CA HP Pavilion 6/14
7/19 Las Vegas, NV MGM Grand Garden Arena on sale now
7/23 Chicago, IL United Center 6/14
7/25 Philadelphia, PA Wachovia Center on sale now
7/27 Pemberton, BC Pemberton Festival on sale now
7/29 Montreal, QC Bell Centre 6/14
7/30 Toronto, ON Air Canada Centre 6/14
8/2 Hartford, CT XL Center on sale now
8/3 Washington, DC Verizon Center on sale now
8/4 Boston, MA TD Banknorth Garden 6/14
10/20 Ottawa, ON Scotiabank Place TBA
10/21 Cleveland, OH Quicken Loans Arena on sale now
10/26 East Rutherford, NJ Izod Center TBA
11/3 Detroit, MI The Palace of Auburn Hills on sale now
11/7 Orlando, FL Amway Arena TBA
11/9 Sunrise, FL BankAtlantic Center TBA
11/11 Atlanta, GA Philips Arena TBA
11/13 Kansas City, MO Sprint Center on sale now
11/14 St. Paul, MN Xcel Energy Center on sale now
11/16 Oklahoma City, OK Ford Center on sale now
11/18 Houston, TX Toyota Center TBA
11/19 Dallas, TX American Airlines Center TBA
11/21 Denver, CO Pepsi Center Arena TBA
11/22 Salt Lake City, UT Energy Solutions Arena TBA
11/26 Phoenix, AZ Jobing.com Arena on sale now

1. Arcade Fire
2. Sigur Ros
7. Coldplay

Fill in the gaps....

Travis, Gin Blossoms, Toad the Wet Sprocket, and R-Hed.

It's the band's problem for drawing criticisms about themselves. Once they mention that "we want to be like this or that band," people are naturally going to tie their traits to other well-establishes bands. I think 42's an obvious ref to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but to someone else, they'll see it as a reference to U2's 40, like stated above, and it makes sense for them to come to that conclusion.

The retail rip of this is finally out. V0, V2, and even FLAC.

This is good news. Now I get to play it loud.

7/30 Toronto, ON Air Canada Centre 6/14

While I like the date being moved up and all, I don't like the loss of a second date... Sure they'll probably add another one after the fact but that won't help me during the crush to get tickets :down:

The retail rip of this is finally out. V0, V2, and even FLAC.

This is good news. Now I get to play it loud.

anyone have any links?

The major issue I'm having with the album is the sound as a whole. Not because it sucks - it's actually pretty good, a step up from X&Y and in a good direction - but it's got Eno - Edge - Adam - U2 written all over it.

Uh, I hear very little U2 in this album. I do agree that there are certain elements of The Edge in a few songs ("Cemetaries of London" is the only one that really comes to mind at the moment.) I don't hear Adam at all. I hear Les Pattinson, maybe, but not Adam. Eno? Well, he did produce the album, y'know. U2 in general? I can't think of a single U2 song that sounds even remotely similar to Yes, 42, Viva La Vida, Death And All His Friends, or Lost - and those are arguably the best songs on the album. As for Coldplay ripping off Radiohead by offering a free download, I think you're grasping at straws here. Plenty of bands and artists are offering free downloads these days - Sigur Rós and Nine Inch Nails, for instance. You'll see this happening more frequently in the future, as business models are changing in the music world. I wouldn't be at all surprised if U2 offered a free download or two this autumn. Though, with Paul McGuinne$$ around, that actually might not happen...

All that said, Chris Martin's still a twat. Intedomine's quote provides strong evidence of that.

A couple of questions: has anyone heard the Life in Technicolor version with vocals? That was supposed to be a hidden track, and I wonder if it will come exclusively through Itunes or on the CD.

Also, I wonder if these rumoured song titles—Poppy Fields, Leftrightleftrightleft and Rainy Day—morphed into songs on the album, or they're going to be released as B-sides. :hmm:

A couple of questions: has anyone heard the Life in Technicolor version with vocals? That was supposed to be a hidden track, and I wonder if it will come exclusively through Itunes or on the CD.

Yeah, I've heard it. That's "The Escapist," isn't it? It's at the end of Death And All His Friends, so I assume it will be on the album when it's released. It wasn't on the original 128kb leak.

Also, I wonder if these rumoured song titles—Poppy Fields, Leftrightleftrightleft and Rainy Day—morphed into songs on the album, or they're going to be released as B-sides. :hmm:

I, too, was wondering about this.

There was also a rumored song called 'Glass of Water'.....it was one of the first song titles that the band announced, I believe.

I hope we hear these someday.

Here's the list of songs from the sessions that showed up online:

Lost!
Cemeteries Of London
Violet Hill
Poppy Fields
Yes!
Leftrightleftrightleft
Rainy Day
Famous Old Painters
Glass Of Water
Prospekt's March
Lovers In Japan
Strawberry Swing
Song For The Escapist
Death And All His Friends
Life In Technicolor
Chinese Sleep Chant
Reign Of Love
Postcards From Far Away
Lukas
The Goldrush
Now My Feet Won't Touch The Ground
A Spell A Rebel Yell

Here's the list of songs from the sessions that showed up online:

Lost!
Cemeteries Of London
Violet Hill
Poppy Fields
Yes!
Leftrightleftrightleft
Rainy Day
Famous Old Painters
Glass Of Water
Prospekt's March
Lovers In Japan
Strawberry Swing
Song For The Escapist
Death And All His Friends
Life In Technicolor
Chinese Sleep Chant
Reign Of Love
Postcards From Far Away
Lukas
The Goldrush
A Spell A Rebel Yell

Wow. The Coldplayers were really workin hard this time around!

I wonder if we should be expecting another album of material sooner rather than later because of all these extra tracks?

Except, these days it seems like the "big" bands wouldn't even possibly consider releasing two albums within 3 or 4 years of each other. :angry:

pls pls send me pls im desperate pretty pls!!1

Poppy Fields
Leftrightleftrightleft
Rainy Day
Famous Old Painters
Glass Of Water
Prospekt's March
Song For The Escapist
Postcards From Far Away
Lukas
The Goldrush

muralee_s @ hotmail.com

:lol:

Wow. The Coldplayers were really workin hard this time around!

I wonder if we should be expecting another album of material sooner rather than later because of all these extra tracks?

Except, these days it seems like the "big" bands wouldn't even possibly consider releasing two albums within 3 or 4 years of each other. :angry:

I don't remember where it was, but I read some unsubstantiated claim that Coldplay were planning on quickly releasing a second album of material from the same (can't really call it 'era' since its only beginning now) time as Viva La Vida by the end of next year to cap this chapter of the band's sound.

I think the tour schedule was shuffled because of the lack of ticket sales. There were holes in the schedule that allowed room for 2nd shows in Toronto, Philly, San Jose, Miami, Atlanta, Boston, but now the schedule has been re-arranged so that 2nd dates couldn't possibly be added. Production delay is a nice fallback excuse.

Also, shows in smaller markets like Omaha, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Cangary, Sacramento, etc... have not been rescheduled. Probably not enough demand, especially with their prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom