Coldplay - Viva La Vida... Continued Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, after several listens, I am inclined to purchase the actual cd when it comes out. The atmospherics (especially 5-7) are suprisingly stunning. I'm not sure if it is their best, but I think they were very wise to bring Eno in the fold. This album seems to have that departure (mild, mind you) that I was hoping for with the last one. I thought x&y was a great album... for two months. I hope this new one has some life and legs to it. I really want to believe that it will.

For those Canucks out there, make sure to watch The Hour tonight at 11 p.m. on CBC, where Coldplay will be on.

That was good - I love Chris Martin's quirky British humour.

Btw, I know Fix You isn't the most popular song here but Chris said that song, in addition to Clocks, PolitiK and La Vida Loca (or whatever it's called) are his fave songs.

anyone else think Lovers in Japan sounds like it'd fit on Funeral? the beat, the guitar, the lush arrangement... reminds me a bit of Power Out...

The whole album has an Arcade Fire vibe what with the sound and especially the double name songs!

I just scored tickets for one of their concerts in the Fall! :yippie:

:applaud: Was this from the contest off the official site?

:applaud: Was this from the contest off the official site?

No, the actual sale through Ticketmaster. I didn't take a chance through the Internet, but went the old-fashioned way. I waited in line at a ticket outlet (was the 3rd one) and scored tix for the first concert. Tickets sold out in a few minutes, even for a second concert that was suddenly announced.
I'm a happy man. :happy:

:)

I read 9 or 10 reviews, and only two were strongly positive. One of those was negative and all the other were just... average.

Yeah, the Mirror was negative, and there have been some average ones, like three stars out of five. But then you have places like The Sun, The Telegraph, and quite a few personal blogs who have quite liked it.

NME also liked it, surprisingly - they usually can't stand them. Virgin Media gives it a 9/10. And usually the British media are scathing, so I think this bodes well.

I'll be curious to see what the major American outlets think of it.

The MySpace stream of their new album isn't working for me. :grumpy: The Netherlands is not on the list of the countries allowed! :down:
Why! :scream:

That was good - I love Chris Martin's quirky British humour.

Btw, I know Fix You isn't the most popular song here but Chris said that song, in addition to Clocks, PolitiK and La Vida Loca (or whatever it's called) are his fave songs.

He may have a quirky British humour, but his math skills leave something to be desired. At the end he told George that Politik is in his Top 3 songs. Later, George asked him: "Earlier you said Politik is in your Top 3. What are the other two?"

Chris: "Fix You and Yellow.......and Clocks."

That made me laugh. Oh, and I'm reasonably sure he said Yellow and not Viva La Vida. I can be wrong though, I've been so before. See above. :wink:

I read 9 or 10 reviews, and only two were strongly positive. One of those was negative and all the other were just... average.

Yeah, it doesn't really seem as if the critics are all that wild about the album. :slant:

My favorite moment on the album is when 42 picks up the pace in the middle and Chris sings "You though ya might be a ghost...you thought ya might be a ghost...you didn't get to heaven but you made it close!!!"...

Love. It.

Don't know much about Coldplay, though I would probably enjoy some of their songs. But anyone who plays a free concert at MSG and London is :up: in my book.

hmm, i wonder of the critics will be overly critical with the new album since they're probably embarrassed that they nearly wet their pants with x&y. but geez, does coldplay really need that much promotion? i mean every magazine that you open has a full page ad for Viva La Vida, the record company sure is dropping a pretty penny to make sure it's a hit. what i've heard so far sounds okay, i'll definitely give it more listens , there were about two songs that really grasped my attention.

For people not in Canada that haven't seen the Coldplay interview on CBC's The Hour with George Stroumboulopoulos check it out at the link. It's an hour long and it's a total free access interview with them at Coldplay's studio, "the Bakery" in London. George must be the only guy in the business that can get such candid interviews with bands. Remember his U2 interview?

The Hour with George Stroumboulopoulos - Home

Cool interview, thanks.

I like how he just openly cops to ripping off Radiohead, Buckley, etc.

This Chris Martin kid, he might go places someday...

He may have a quirky British humour, but his math skills leave something to be desired. At the end he told George that Politik is in his Top 3 songs. Later, George asked him: "Earlier you said Politik is in your Top 3. What are the other two?"

Chris: "Fix You and Yellow.......and Clocks."

That made me laugh. Oh, and I'm reasonably sure he said Yellow and not Viva La Vida. I can be wrong though, I've been so before. See above. :wink:

I think he named 5 in the end then because after he named the 3 or 4, he then added something like "And I really like Viva La Vida" and played a couple notes on the piano.

So me and a buddy have this tradition of, whenever a new album comes out by a band that we like, we take a shot of vodka for each song while we listen to it, and we jump around and sing the words and embrace the fresh music landscapes.

It started with Pearl Jam's Binaural and has moved its way through a lot more albums...

we did that tonight with Viva la Vida or Death and Alll His Friends and goddam...what a good album this is. Every song feels better within the context of the album as a whole. I think it's an album where you really MUST listen to it in its entirety to get the full scope.

Very cinematic, very very cohesive, and very good. The melodies are there.

Coldplay? Delivered the goods? YES, yes they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom