Coldplay - Viva La Vida... Continued Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very true. U2 has never been one to roll over in the face of competition, and now is their chance to really step it up. If Eno brings his A game, we're going to have a classic on our hands.

Stop right there. There have been tons of great albums from rising bands in the 2000's and U2 has given us crap. Don't raise your expectations so high that you will have a big disappointment.

Ha, not really. Most of us are really digging Viva, but I think you're the only one who's claimed it's one of the best of the decade. :wink: U2 will be fine.

I don't see anything coming out of U2 camp that suggests this will be a classic album. Their last two albums sucked and so it is quite optimistic that you'd think the next will be a classic.

Stop right there. There have been tons of great albums from rising bands in the 2000's and U2 has given us crap. Don't raise your expectations so high that you will have a big disappointment.

Although I don't consider the last two albums crap, I see your point. Consider this though — those two albums were essentially people pleasers and more traditional, I think, because of the Rock and Roll HOF induction. They put Pop out, it doesn't stick to people, so they make their next phase big, juicy pop songs. Then they make it more Rock and Roll for the one coinciding with the HOF, and now that that's done and they've won back their fans, they're going more experimental.

They're at their best when they're experimental.

Although I don't consider the last two albums crap, I see your point. Consider this though — those two albums were essentially people pleasers and more traditional, I think, because of the Rock and Roll HOF induction. They put Pop out, it doesn't stick to people, so they make their next phase big, juicy pop songs. Then they make it more Rock and Roll for the one coinciding with the HOF, and now that that's done and they've won back their fans, they're going more experimental.

They're at their best when they're experimental.

Um...I honestly think U2 failed to win back fans but just attracted more mainstream fans. Plus why should we give the time of day to a band that makes albums to pander. Nothing at all makes me excited about the next U2 album. So I think believing it is going to be a classic is a bit foolish.

Um...I honestly think U2 failed to win back fans but just attracted more mainstream fans. Plus why should we give the time of day to a band that makes albums to pander. Nothing at all makes me excited about the next U2 album. So I think believing it is going to be a classic is a bit foolish.

It's only foolish if it turns out not to be. Lanois said they're going for nothing short of a classic. Let's see if they do it.

Um...I honestly think U2 failed to win back fans but just attracted more mainstream fans.

Agreed. Whatever anyone says in EYKIW, ATYCLB & HTDAAB are a lot more mainstream than Joshua Tree or Achtung or anything in their discography!

Agreed. Whatever anyone says in EYKIW, ATYCLB & HTDAAB are a lot more mainstream than Joshua Tree or Achtung or anything in their discography!

Pardon my french, but who gives a shit if it's more mainstream? Just write some good songs and I'll be on your side. The 90's was my favorite era of U2, but it wasn't the experimentation itself that attracted me to it, and it's not the experimentation of Viva that attracts me to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom