Coldplay - Viva La Vida... Continued Discussion - Page 62 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2008, 05:04 PM   #916
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
As a whole, it's better than both.

Although there are some songs that are better than anything on Vida.
Agreed. Viva La Vida is cohesive from beginning to end, as any proper album should be. It's not a whole bunch of singles that were thrown together haphazardly in the hopes of generating huge sales and Grammy nominations.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:05 PM   #917
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:24 PM
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...I'm thinking of WOWY...that guitar part where, in the JT documentary, Edge is standing there with his guitar and says something like "it's just so satisfying playing out the song like this" or something like that....and where, during live performances, Bono will sometimes go "goodbye, goodbye..."

Old 06-24-2008, 05:05 PM   #918
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalDrug View Post
Coldplay is like a little puppy that tags at U2's heels, and makes great songs as a result.
Good analogy.

I like Coldplay just as they are. Just wish Chris Martin would stop being a douche in interviews and completely forget what a falsetto is.

Now.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:05 PM   #919
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
What I need to ask is, should I post this episode in B&C or EYKIW? I'd be kind of a hypocrite if I made a Coldplay thread in EYKIW, but would receive a larger audience...hmm...
Do it in EYKIW, just to take the piss.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #920
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonGirl View Post
Agreed. Viva La Vida is cohesive from beginning to end, as any proper album should be. It's not a whole bunch of singles that were thrown together haphazardly in the hopes of generating huge sales and Grammy nominations.
Yeah, Viva is far more cohesive. The problem I have is that the standouts are fewer than on the first two; there aren't any brilliant singles here like Yellow, Shiver, or Clocks, and no hidden gems like High Speed and Amsterdam. It's all very enjoyable, not-completely-homogeneous Coldplay fare. And, when you're in the right mood, that can be (as any hipster wank worth his salt would put it) transcendent all on its own. I recommend this record to everyone, as it should be appealing to just about everyone, but they haven't reinvented the wheel here or anything.

Now.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:11 PM   #921
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:24 AM
I'm just not getting the hype of the whole album. Yes there are some good songs, but the whole album overall? I'm not getting it. I'll have to listen more.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #922
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob33 View Post
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...I'm thinking of WOWY...that guitar part where, in the JT documentary, Edge is standing there with his guitar and says something like "it's just so satisfying playing out the song like this" or something like that....and where, during live performances, Bono will sometimes go "goodbye, goodbye..."
Yes, it's similar. D - Dsus2 - D - Dsus4.

Did you download my link?
Old 06-24-2008, 05:20 PM   #923
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:24 AM
So this has turned into a U2 vs. Coldplay thread.
Let's talk again in a couple of years, shall we?
OK, I am one of the first people to admit that I really like this album and yes, it's very cohesive, there is a lot of atmosphere in it and I really like most of the songs. But I don't like it more than U2's albums.

And I just think Chris Martin is, unlike Bono, not a really good singer.
He's singing becomes boring after some songs.
The songs are good after all, the singing just isn't overwhelming.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:21 PM   #924
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by one4u2 View Post
I'm just not getting the hype of the whole album. Yes there are some good songs, but the whole album overall? I'm not getting it. I'll have to listen more.
oh no dude...no no no....you are getting it, don't worry....you are getting it....

I have to say probably my favorite moment on the album though is the latter half of Yes! - anyone else like that? It has the same sort of structure as "Life In U2Color" ...I think Coldplay did a good job with that this album...when Martin is singing less, I like this album the most....I think
Old 06-24-2008, 05:22 PM   #925
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by last unicorn View Post
So this has turned into a U2 vs. Coldplay thread.
Let's talk again in a couple of years, shall we?
OK, I am one of the first people to admit that I really like this album and yes, it's very cohesive, there is a lot of atmosphere in it and I really like most of the songs. But I don't like it more than U2's albums.

And I just think Chris Martin is, unlike Bono, not a really good singer.
He's singing becomes boring after some songs.
The songs are good after all, the singing just isn't overwhelming.
that's what i'm saying in a nutshell

but I'll be honest, it sucks for any singer to be compared to Bono and it's sort of unfair....but since the topic of ATYCLB/HTDAAB vs. Viva la Vida surfaced....it must be mentioned.

Oh, and Last Unicorn, I don't think U2 vs. Coldplay is even debatable...
Old 06-24-2008, 05:25 PM   #926
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonGirl View Post
Yes, it's similar. D - Dsus2 - D - Dsus4.

Did you download my link?
oh no, I forgot, sorry, I meant to ask you what it was before I downloaded it...like...in general...is it a song or something?

Edit: K I gotta go now, GG I'll download and listen to it later
Old 06-24-2008, 05:34 PM   #927
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:24 AM
Quote:
oh no dude...no no no....you are getting it, don't worry....you are getting it....

I have to say probably my favorite moment on the album though is the latter half of Yes! - anyone else like that? It has the same sort of structure as "Life In U2Color" ...I think Coldplay did a good job with that this album...when Martin is singing less, I like this album the most....I think

I'm NOT a dude..
Old 06-24-2008, 05:41 PM   #928
The Male

Quote:
I'm NOT a dude..
It's a term of endearment. He secretly hates women (hence his disdain for Chrissy Martin).

Now.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:59 PM   #929
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
oh no, I forgot, sorry, I meant to ask you what it was before I downloaded it...like...in general...is it a song or something?
A few clip-by-clip comparisons.

1. Echo And The Bunnymen's "Ripeness" (1983) vs "Two Hearts Beat As One" (1983)
2. Echo And The Bunnymen's "With A Hip" (1982) vs "Indian Summer Sky" (1984) - please note the fact that the bass lines are interchangeable
3. Echo And The Bunnymen's "Back Of Love" (1983) vs "In God's Country" (1987)
4. Echo And The Bunnymen's "Angels and Devils" (1984) vs "Angel of Harlem" (1988)
5. Pink Floyd's "Eclipse" (1973) vs "Walk On" (2000)

Those are just a few examples. There are many more.

The songs in item one contain very general similarities - rather like the ones that people accuse Coldplay of when it comes to U2. The songs in items two and three contain identical notes/chord progressions (kind of like the example you just brought up with Lovers in Japan/Reign Of Love.) The songs in items four and five contain eerily similar vocal deliveries and lyrical content (remember "the banks became cathedrals"?)

As Bono so aptly sums it up, "every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief."

I should also note that Echo And The Bunnymen fans used to accuse U2 of being wannabe-Bunnymen back in the 80s. Bono (or was it Adam?) even admitted that the bass line in Vertigo was a homage to the Bunnymen. On a semi-related note, Coldplay are also big fans of Echo And The Bunnymen. Goodness me, could it be that their sweeping atmospherics and delayed guitars aren't ONLY influenced by U2?

Don't get me wrong - I used to be like you. I thought Coldplay were nothing more than pointless U2/Radiohead rip-offs who should not be allowed to exist. Ask Phanan. Then I found out a little bit more about U2's history and discovered that, gasp, they weren't quite as original as I thought they were.

It's okay to be strongly influenced by a band. Really, it is. If you don't like Coldplay's songs, that's fine. But to constantly bring up the comparisons between their sound and U2's sound...it gets tiring, honestly. There are very few truly original bands and artists on this planet. Even U2 are guilty of a bit of heavy influence.

Bring on the Martin-bashing, though. Even though I really like Viva La Vida, I still think he's a colossal twat.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:43 PM   #930
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
I'm NOT a dude..
ok, RELAX....

Tags
coldplay, viva la vida