Coldplay - Viva La Vida... Continued Discussion - Page 54 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2008, 12:56 PM   #796
War Child

Location: looking at the world through Bono's colored glasses
Local Time: 08:26 PM
I love how Eno downplayed the piano and falsettos on this one. The guitars and drums really stand out more. He made Coldplay sound much less like the Chris Martin Band.

It's interesting how Life in Technicolor kind of ends in Death and All His Friends.

For me Viva La Vida may not have their best song ever but I feel like it's their best album.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:04 PM   #797
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:26 AM
I just turned it on WGN to watch the Cubs-White Sox game and they were showing highlights playing Life In Technicolor in the background

Old 06-21-2008, 03:58 PM   #798
arw
Blue Crack Addict

ok I really like this. I've always been a very casual Coldplay fan. I like them enough to buy their cd's but I usually don't listen to them very long. This one feels different. I think it'll be played in the car a lot.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:00 PM   #799
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Earth to Blue Crack to Planet Fierce and back again
Local Time: 05:26 PM
Im getting the CD this weekend
Old 06-21-2008, 04:15 PM   #800
ONE
love, blood, life

Does anyone hear a little bit of the Smashing Pumpkins' 'Disarm' in the middle part of 'Life In Technicolor', where the acoustic guitar becomes more pronounced? Just the melody that would go along with the line 'Disarm you with a smile'.

Maybe it's just me, but I swear I hear it a little bit.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:22 PM   #801
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:26 AM
Haha I wasn't even sure if I was gonna get this album but just ended up purchasing the last vinyl copy at the local Best Buy. The best part is that it includes the CD with it! Plus I was able to use my $5 reward coupon so essentially I only paid 10 bucks for the whole thing.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:38 PM   #802
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arw View Post
ok I really like this. I've always been a very casual Coldplay fan. I like them enough to buy their cd's but I usually don't listen to them very long. This one feels different. I think it'll be played in the car a lot.
That's how I feel too. I've listened to it twice in the car so far.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:17 PM   #803
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:26 PM
Since when did Best Buy start selling vinyl? I paid 25 dollars for it from the record store, and I would have preferred it for 15 at Best Buy. Oh well.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:18 PM   #804
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by impy13 View Post
Since when did Best Buy start selling vinyl? I paid 25 dollars for it from the record store, and I would have preferred it for 15 at Best Buy. Oh well.
They have? Wowzers.

I'm glad that the Coz av is making a comeback. Whip zop, zibbity bop.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:20 PM   #805
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by impy13 View Post
Yeah I was surprised too when I heard. They had to go get it from the stock room in the back or something. It was their last copy.

That Cosby avi wins!
Old 06-21-2008, 10:14 PM   #806
Refugee

Local Time: 01:26 AM
Yeah been listening to it pretty much on loop for the past couple of weeks. Probably their best album to date. Has a great flow to it which is only broken by the let down first single Violet Hill. Jesus it needed something better there. Still you can't have everything. Strawberry Swing and the brilliant "death and all his friends" get things back on track. Although Death and all his friends could have just been a little longer in my opinion. Anyone think that "Lost" has a "High and Dry" by radiohead feel about it. The guitar solo reminds me of that song.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:41 PM   #807
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhbonovox View Post
Yeah been listening to it pretty much on loop for the past couple of weeks. Probably their best album to date. Has a great flow to it which is only broken by the let down first single Violet Hill. Jesus it needed something better there. Still you can't have everything. Strawberry Swing and the brilliant "death and all his friends" get things back on track. Although Death and all his friends could have just been a little longer in my opinion. Anyone think that "Lost" has a "High and Dry" by radiohead feel about it. The guitar solo reminds me of that song.
Lost! >>>> High and Dry - but I can't hear any similarities between the two yet.

Violet Hill is perfect in the album context I reckon, it just flows so brilliantly from VLV and into SS, quite stunning, and adds a bit of punch to the album.

If anything, VLV sounds out of place, it's too radio-friendly and string-y. Should have been a one-off single and maybe Famous Old Painters, Prospekt's March or Poppy Fields might have been an able substitute as Track 7....but that's just my opinion.

Death and All his Friends is perfect. Escapist is a corker of an ending to the album.

42 probably features the most breathtaking hooks and is real ear candy. It feels unfinished though, it would have been so much better had it gone off onto another tangent altogether, instead of just going back to the "Those Who Are Dead Are Not Dead" bit....
Old 06-22-2008, 01:21 AM   #808
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob33 View Post
alright I have the acoustic versions of "Lovers In Japan" and "Lost" so I uploaded them to mediafire for those interested...enjoy

Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire
Thank You!
Old 06-22-2008, 01:24 AM   #809
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
Haha I wasn't even sure if I was gonna get this album but just ended up purchasing the last vinyl copy at the local Best Buy. The best part is that it includes the CD with it! Plus I was able to use my $5 reward coupon so essentially I only paid 10 bucks for the whole thing.

I had no idea this version existed, I just restarted buying vinyl too.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:15 AM   #810
45:33

Local Time: 12:26 PM
Well given the album a few spins now, and I must say, I am enjoying it. Apart from the atrocious Violet Hill and the average Yes, it's not too bad at all. Favourite moments are Lovers in Japan, Chinese Sleep Chant and Life in Technicolour.

Martin's never going to be a Shakespeare though, let's be honest.

Tags
coldplay, viva la vida