Coldplay - Viva La Vida... Continued Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with Viva la Vida as a single is it simply isn't big enough...it's too empty, that dude up there banging that drum and that bell isn't going to cut it....the only thing it has going for it is its catchiness...but they can't rely solely on that. When everything settles down, it will begin to fall into place.

I think if Coldplay was going to rival JT/AB then we would see some progress. Despite what GG sees in Viva la Vida, it's not enough...sure it's better than past albums, but compare U2's albums leading up to JT. You could feel it coming...I'm not feeling it with Coldplay :shrug:

Rob, you seem to be forgetting that this is all subjective. While we hold up JT as a masterpiece, there are people out there (critics included) who think that it's a fucking awful album. Coldplay could release an album that is just as well received and critically acclaimed as The Joshua Tree - in other words, a masterpiece - and you'd probably still hate it.

To bastardise some Radiohead lyrics...just 'cause you don't feel it, doesn't mean it's not there.

The problem with Viva la Vida as a single is it simply isn't big enough...it's too empty, that dude up there banging that drum and that bell isn't going to cut it...

This thread is so 2005. :grumpy:

I'm beating a dead horse now, but I can't help myself. Before Coldplay, there was U2. Before them, Echo & The Bunnymen. I hear that Kraft Dinner was once influenced my macaroni before it became Kraft Dinner. Ultimately, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. At one point Pepsi wanted to be Coke, Pampers wanted to be Huggies. It’s evolution spurred on by inspiration. We all do it, whether it’s using a phrase by a favourite author or by wearing the same kind of jean jacket that looks great on Thom Yorke.

This album is a bit different. I think Coldplay have finally eclipsed the mere ‘imitation’ tag and have created a great album…period. You can over-analyze their motivations, but as GG says, it’s a cohesive effort from start to finish. Yes, it's flush with their inspirations, however, it’s also a work of art that really takes you on a journey. That's an extremely rare thing these days. “Transcendental” might be giving it too great a review, but it’s at least as good as a really great day in the park with an unlimited supply of ice cream…a success by any measure.

Coldplay are also big fans of Echo And The Bunnymen. Goodness me, could it be that their sweeping atmospherics and delayed guitars aren't ONLY influenced by U2?

Exactly!...they are obviously another major influence. Ian McCulloch has even spent time with them in the studio. The first part of Yes on this album really reminds me of present-day Bunnymen material...the ragged, worn, and cynical-sounding vocals are eerily similar.

I also love the fact that Eno produced this album, but I could care less about any kind of U2-clone syndrome. I just see it as an incredible challenge for U2 to better this effort by Coldplay, which will be difficult.

Rob, you seem to be forgetting that this is all subjective. While we hold up JT as a masterpiece, there are people out there (critics included) who think that it's a fucking awful album. Coldplay could release an album that is just as well received and critically acclaimed as The Joshua Tree - in other words, a masterpiece - and you'd probably still hate it..

While there may be some critics who don't like The Joshua Tree, they are few and far between. It's called CONSENSUS. #3 on Rolling Stone's Top 100 Albums of the 80's (not to mention making a killing on their year-end awards for '87), #4 on the Village Voice's annual Pazz & Jop nationwide critic's poll for 1997, not to mention the Grammy award for Best Album of the Year. These are just a few. We all know it's widely-regarded as one of the best albums of that decade.

When Coldplay tops major lists and takes home big awards for this album, then get back to me--to revert back to Thom Yorke's original line, just because YOU feel it doesn't mean it's there.

When Coldplay tops major lists and takes home big awards for this album, then get back to me--to revert back to Thom Yorke's original line, just because YOU feel it doesn't mean it's there.

I wasn't talking about THIS album - I was talking about an album that could be coming in the future. But yeah, I'll get back to you if it happens. :up:

I can't believe what I'm reading. Is GG seriously defending Coldplay right now?

Pretty much! Christ, you know the Coldplay-bashing is getting out of hand when I have to start defending them. I personally don't believe in holding vendettas when it comes to bands. If they do something I like, I'll support what they're doing.

This thread is so 2005. :grumpy:

I'm beating a dead horse now, but I can't help myself. Before Coldplay, there was U2. Before them, Echo & The Bunnymen. I hear that Kraft Dinner was once influenced my macaroni before it became Kraft Dinner. Ultimately, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. At one point Pepsi wanted to be Coke, Pampers wanted to be Huggies. It’s evolution spurred on by inspiration. We all do it, whether it’s using a phrase by a favourite author or by wearing the same kind of jean jacket that looks great on Thom Yorke.

This album is a bit different. I think Coldplay have finally eclipsed the mere ‘imitation’ tag and have created a great album…period. You can over-analyze their motivations, but as GG says, it’s a cohesive effort from start to finish. Yes, it's flush with their inspirations, however, it’s also a work of art that really takes you on a journey. That's an extremely rare thing these days. “Transcendental” might be giving it too great a review, but it’s at least as good as a really great day in the park with an unlimited supply of ice cream…a success by any measure.

I don't have anything to add to that. Very well-said. :up:

Exactly!...they are obviously another major influence. Ian McCulloch has even spent time with them in the studio. The first part of Yes on this album really reminds me of present-day Bunnymen material...the ragged, worn, and cynical-sounding vocals are eerily similar.

Again, I agree. The Bunnymen have been a huge influence on Coldplay's sound. For the benefit of the people in EYKIW who might be in doubt, here's an audio clip to prove it: YouTube - coldplay - lips like sugar

:huh:

Did you even bother reading the rest of the conversation associated with that post?

And you wonder why you get ragged on...

yeah I meant to delete that post, and I thought I did. I got back to my computer and didn't realize there was a next page with your questionable quote already being discussed. But, just for the record....when did I "wonder why" I "get ragged on" ??? And how exactly do I "get ragged on" ??? And how do you know I "wonder why" I "get ragged on" ??? You make it sound like I'm some self-pitying victim sitting and sulking behind a computer...:lol: As far as I can tell, this has been a fine discussion...but THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT, PHANAN :rolleyes:

...For the benefit of the people in EYKIW who might be in doubt, here's an audio clip to prove it: YouTube - coldplay - lips like sugar

Hadn't seen that before...interesting! They do the original more than justice. When people slag off Coldplay for wanting to be U2, I'm sure Chris Martin takes great solace in knowing that Bono wanted, at one point, to be like Ian McCulloch.

Of course, Ian McCulloch would argue that point is still ongoing. :wink:

I don't have anything to add to that. Very well-said. :up:

Again, I agree. The Bunnymen have been a huge influence on Coldplay's sound. For the benefit of the people in EYKIW who might be in doubt, here's an audio clip to prove it: YouTube - coldplay - lips like sugar

GG thanks for the insightful comments, but I honestly don't know why you bother. There will be people out there that will continue to hold on to their opinions no matter what.

As for me, I won't let some comments from people on the internets influence what I listen to. Ultimately, it's up to each individual person to choose what they like to listen to, and to stop ragging on others when their musical tastes differ from theirs.

Again, musical tastes are subjective. I love Coldplay, I love U2. Do I see similarities between C-Play and U2? Of course I do. Do I care? No, why should I? Will it make me like either band less? No.

To me, all this back and forth on either side of the argument is useless. Why don't people just let things be? To use a sports analogy, if a coach yells the same thing to his/her players day in and day out, eventually the players will start to tune out. They won't listen. They won't care. This is human nature. So, to bring it back to this context, if there are people saying the same thing over and over and over about Coldplay, will it make a difference? No, because over time that person's opinions will fall on deaf ears because we will have heard them before.

Honestly, all this back and forth is becoming annoying. I wholeheartedly enjoy this album, despite, or rather, in spite of its supposed similarities to other bands out there. I still enjoy A Rush of Blood to the Head more, though.

GG thanks for the insightful comments, but I honestly don't know why you bother. There will be people out there that will continue to hold on to their opinions no matter what.

As for me, I won't let some comments from people on the internets influence what I listen to. Ultimately, it's up to each individual person to choose what they like to listen to, and to stop ragging on others when their musical tastes differ from theirs.

Again, musical tastes are subjective. I love Coldplay, I love U2. Do I see similarities between C-Play and U2? Of course I do. Do I care? No, why should I? Will it make me like either band less? No.

To me, all this back and forth on either side of the argument is useless. Why don't people just let things be? To use a sports analogy, if a coach yells the same thing to his/her players day in and day out, eventually the players will start to tune out. They won't listen. They won't care. This is human nature. So, to bring it back to this context, if there are people saying the same thing over and over and over about Coldplay, will it make a difference? No, because over time that person's opinions will fall on deaf ears because we will have heard them before.

Honestly, all this back and forth is becoming annoying. I wholeheartedly enjoy this album, despite, or rather, in spite of its supposed similarities to other bands out there. I still enjoy A Rush of Blood to the Head more, though.

Cracking, as usual.

Rob33, a dead horse cannot be made any deader by repeated beatings. It's already dead.

Actually, horses have quite the unusual ability....they will appear dead- no heartbeat, no breathing, no nothing- yet if given an extended period of time, will wake up stronger than before....there have been numerous stories about horses being "dead," and as the owner(s) is burying them or ridding of their remains in whatever fashion, they will actually start moving, and arise in a fit of joy, seemingly stronger than ever before. True story.

So to make sure the horse is actually dead, I think this discussion should continue. :up:

The Watermelon was right.

How cool is Martin's duet with Kanye......fair track that.

One of the reasons Martin comes across as a "twat" to some (again, a minority) people is because of the inane repetitive questions he keeps getting asked in interviews......and there are many of these interviews.

The guy's a champion. Love the way he gets all enthusiastic like a school kid about things, and how it comes out stupidly sometimes, but he's not trying to hide anything. He's very real, like many of us would be if we were put in the same situation. Which is a rather nice situation, let's not be envious. Reeks of tall poppy syndrome.

yeah I meant to delete that post, and I thought I did. I got back to my computer and didn't realize there was a next page with your questionable quote already being discussed. But, just for the record....when did I "wonder why" I "get ragged on" ??? And how exactly do I "get ragged on" ??? And how do you know I "wonder why" I "get ragged on" ??? You make it sound like I'm some self-pitying victim sitting and sulking behind a computer...:lol: As far as I can tell, this has been a fine discussion...but THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT, PHANAN :rolleyes:

:lmao:

The guy's a champion.

10089644.JPG

One of the reasons Martin comes across as a "twat" to some (again, a minority) people is because of the inane repetitive questions he keeps getting asked in interviews......and there are many of these interviews.

The guy's a champion. Love the way he gets all enthusiastic like a school kid about things, and how it comes out stupidly sometimes, but he's not trying to hide anything. He's very real, like many of us would be if we were put in the same situation. Which is a rather nice situation, let's not be envious. Reeks of tall poppy syndrome.

How can you say definitively that there's a minority of people who think he's a "twat". Have you spoken to every person on the planet?

Oh, and FYI: Martin is not the only celebrity to be asked inane, repetitive questions. That aspect of being in the public eye is pretty much par for the course. All popular artists and athletes get asked the same questions, sometimes during the course of the same press conference.It comes with the territory. It's all in how you handle the questions. Personally, I think he comes off as sincere. But this is my own opinion and there are many, many others that may disagree with my assessment.

Subjectivity. :up:

You're right. :sigh:

It just frustrates me when I see people being so blinded by their loyalty to U2 that they are incapable of forming rational comments. Ever since this album leaked, certain people (not naming names, but they know who they are) have been bombarding Interference with the same old Coldplay/U2 rubbish, to the point where they are overemphasising these similarities - and sometimes even plain inventing them. I mean, for goodness' sake...someone actually said that even though, as I proved, the musical content of Life In Technicolor was not even remotely close to Where The Streets Have No Name, Coldplay copied U2 because the feeling produced by the music is the same. Stated that I should recognise an "Edge-chord" (you know, because The Edge invented chords) when I hear it. Honestly, it's ridiculous! I can't help not addressing that kind of nonsense.

But again, you're right. I'm only perpetuating the argument by countering the claims. I'll do my best to ignore the U2/Coldplay brigade. :wink:

So yeah, Lost!...I definitely think that's going to be the next single. It would be interesting if they went with something like Yes, though. It's not a conventional "radio" song, but I think it would do a good job of showing people that they have indeed tried something a little different this time.

You're right. :sigh:

It just frustrates me when I see people being so blinded by their loyalty to U2 that they are incapable of forming rational comments. Ever since this album leaked, certain people (not naming names, but they know who they are) have been bombarding Interference with the same old Coldplay/U2 rubbish, to the point where they are overemphasising these similarities - and sometimes even plain inventing them. I mean, for goodness' sake...someone actually said that even though, as I proved, the musical content of Life In Technicolor was not even remotely close to Where The Streets Have No Name, Coldplay copied U2 because the feeling produced by the music is the same. Stated that I should recognise an "Edge-chord" (you know, because The Edge invented chords) when I hear it. Honestly, it's ridiculous! I can't help not addressing that kind of nonsense.

But again, you're right. I'm only perpetuating the argument by countering the claims. I'll do my best to ignore the U2/Coldplay brigade. :wink:

So yeah, Lost!...I definitely think that's going to be the next single. It would be interesting if they went with something like Yes, though. It's not a conventional "radio" song, but I think it would do a good job of showing people that they have indeed tried something a little different this time.

:sigh: :sigh: :sigh:

I dunno...I like Elmer's glue...it's so reliable. Except I hate it when it gets on my hands...that's almost as frustrating as Chris Martin.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Oh wow....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom