Coldplay - Viva La Vida... Continued Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if U2 offered a free download or two this autumn. Though, with Paul McGuinne$$ around, that actually might not happen...

I don't normally quote myself, but...LOL. McGunne$$ Reveals U2 LP Release Plans. :blahblah: Thanks for not being greedy bastards, Coldplay.

Back on topic. I can't browse Pitchfork with a straight face. Whenever I read one of their reviews, I immediately form a mental image of the reviewer: it's usually a skinny nerd with thick black glasses and a carrot shoved up his arse. I also doubt that they'll give the new Coldplay album anything higher than a 6.0.

im pretty alte on this but....violet hill and viva la vida are pretty awesome. and brian eno is to thank there. i just read someones comment on youtube saying Coldplay is the ten times better version of U2.

Folk such as this Andy Gill fellow have as much individualism as emos.

I don't agree with most of what he says either, but at least he takes the time to write out his thoughts without making half-asses comparisons or being embarrassingly obnoxious 90% of the time.

Stop being logical.

I see what you did there.

Last edited:
Obviously I agree with much of what Gill said (thanks for the link, made my day), but it wasn't just some blind hit-piece. The guy at least knows all the albums well enough to draw comparisons and contrasts.

And while it's snarky, it's not that there's isn't some kind of legitimate point going on about watered-down white rock. I don't recall Gill saying anything bad anywhere about pop music being bad. And I'm surprised intedomine's not lathering this guy's balls right now just for this: "But at least Oasis promulgated the kind of spirit and energy that galvanises the soul, rather than the notion that all problems can be assuaged by impotent sympathy set to repetitive piano ostinatos."

My favorite: "...Chris Martin, the world's least impressive rock star by virtually any criteria connected with rock'n'roll as we know it."

QFT.

Originally written by Andy Gill
Another obvious comparison would be with Pink Floyd: they evoke much the same oceanic sense of unease and uplift, and employ the same type of widescreen arrangements, though as with their Radiohead influence, there's little hint that Coldplay share the Floyd's questing artistic temperament. Nor could they emulate the distinctive lyrical approaches of Yorke or Roger Waters, both of whose work is simply too acerbic and bitter, and frequently too twisted and ambivalent, for such innate populists to handle.

:love:

While I do think Gill's review is overly harsh in places, I agree with a lot of what he's saying about Coldplay in general. Don't get me wrong - Viva La Vida surprised me. I was expecting another set of Fix Yous and Swallowed In The Seas, but got stuff like 42 and Yes! instead. I believe they've progressed with this album, both musically and lyrically. It's a decent record and a vast improvement over X&Y.

Nevertheless, I still feel that Coldplay occupy the lower rungs on the ladder of artistic ingenuity.

Andy Gill talks crap basically. I got bored of reading his biased comments. Whats the point of reviewing an album when he hates it before he even listens to it. I think Radioheads The Bends, Ok Computer and Kid A are superb albums but for the past 3 albums Radiohead have been living on memories of them albums and have not come close to repeating that success. Yet he seems to write that everything they have ever done is fabulous. As for Coldplays latest album, I think its a fine album with 1 very weak track, Violet Hill. And a big nod of appreciation to Brian Eno.

I don't normally quote myself, but...LOL. McGunne$$ Reveals U2 LP Release Plans. :blahblah: Thanks for not being greedy bastards, Coldplay.

Interesting when McGuniness said that 60-70% of people didn't download the album from Radioheads site. I was one of them. Had I liked it and thought it was worth buying I would have bought it, but I didn't. As for Coldplays new release, shall be getting the cd tomorrow.:wink:

Interesting when McGuniness said that 60-70% of people didn't download the album from Radioheads site. I was one of them. Had I liked it and thought it was worth buying I would have bought it, but I didn't. As for Coldplays new release, shall be getting the cd tomorrow.:wink:

I think it's rather interesting that McGuinness managed to pull those figures out of thin air.

Obviously I agree with much of what Gill said (thanks for the link, made my day), but it wasn't just some blind hit-piece. The guy at least knows all the albums well enough to draw comparisons and contrasts.

And while it's snarky, it's not that there's isn't some kind of legitimate point going on about watered-down white rock. I don't recall Gill saying anything bad anywhere about pop music being bad. And I'm surprised intedomine's not lathering this guy's balls right now just for this: "But at least Oasis promulgated the kind of spirit and energy that galvanises the soul, rather than the notion that all problems can be assuaged by impotent sympathy set to repetitive piano ostinatos."

My favorite: "...Chris Martin, the world's least impressive rock star by virtually any criteria connected with rock'n'roll as we know it."

QFT.

Listened to VLVODAAHF yet, my good friend?

Ultimately Gilly was bagging Oasis, referring to them as "copyists" rather than inspired musicians (which they are, (or an inspired Noel if we are brutally honest)).

I kinda feel that the "spirit" that Gill refers to is related more to the "scene" spawned by the the enormity of Oasis and the Brothers Gallagher overbearing character, namely music made by working-class lads celebrated by even skinheads (of all people). Mind you, Oasis are always thought of in terms of their first three albums, which is a shame really because there is some cracking musical departures from the Oasis sound on the following three albums. Anyway, the point is that criticism of Oasis is based on obvious reasoning (copyists, people don't like their personality, people don't like 'philistinal' skinheads) and Brothers Gallgher couldn't really give a toss what these people say.

Criticism of Coldplay (the band) seems to be based on people digging to find reasoning to hate the band's music, but really struggling. A couple of tracks from X&Y aside, there isn't much to genuinely dislike. There's no specific identifiable "scene" attributed to Coldplay and their contemporary associates (Snow Patrol, Travis, Keane, Athlete, U2). There is no stereotypical Coldplay fan to make fun of. People dont go around thinking that they are Chris Martin (except me:reject:). Coldplay songs are just listened to by people in general. Old or young, indie or mainstream. Coldplay songs (attempt to) have that universal appeal U2 and Rolling Stones have. And the band, like Oasis, are open about who and what directly inspires their songs, though Coldplay rarely seem to stick it up to their critics in interviews, but they probably really do care. Whereas Oasis dont give a toss, Coldplay are reactive to crticism, and act accordingly.

Ultimately both Oasis and Coldplay are about writing songs which are cracking and that people enjoy, and a lot of people are enjoying them, even Be Here Now and X&Y have many lovers. Both bands are also about trying to earn universal appeal and to properly do that, ya need to write songs people think are good.

There are two sides to authenticity in music. There is the innovation of new sounds, and then there is the genuinely writing the songs you wanna write. Both are as credible as each other, and both can be done really well and really badly.

I thought he pulled them out of his ass like so many other things he says.

Ha! I'm laughing but...it's true, of course. Paul reminds me of Gerald Scarfe's interpretation of The Judge. Only, he has dollar signs for eyes.

Since, my friend, you have downloaded that CD!
I sentence you to pay for it via your ISP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom