Coldplay - Viva La Vida... Continued Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't see how horrific it is when the two were released mere weeks apart. If Violet Hill had gone out a month or two beforehand, then I would agree, but this rapid fire, 1-2 punch of VH and VLV works.

Exactly, both were released a week from each other.

Also, Violet Hill was released for free on the band's site before it was a single release. That probably contributes to the speed between releases.

I'm checking out the stream for the hell of it. Life In Technicolor does sound a bit better, but obviously with a stream it's not a major difference. At least the sound level isn't all messed up now.

HQ versions of LIT and DAAHF on the JT forum (page 19) now.

Not sure if I just didn't notice before, but this version of LIT segues right into COL.

I'll e-mail round for a little while if anyone wants them.

Oh and acronyms FTW.

HQ versions of LIT and DAAHF on the JT forum (page 19) now.

Not sure if I just didn't notice before, but this version of LIT segues right into COL.

I'll e-mail round for a little while if anyone wants them.

Oh and acronyms FTW.

Yeah, it segues right into it. Even with the other version, you could tell that the end of it was at the beginning of Cemeteries.

Coolies.

Also, if anyone has the acoustic version of Lovers in Japan and Spell a Rebel Yell they'd like to e-mail me I'd be very grateful. I'm really enjoying the piano version of Lost.

EDIT - You're welcome elevated_u2_fan and Zoots has mail.

Spell... was the b-side on the vinyl single NME gave away a little while back. If I'd have known how much I'd like the album I'd have bought it!

And cheers elevated :D

On a first listen this album is only decent. I have a feeling that once some time passes this album won't be as good you guys think it is right now.

I've listened to the album twice so far...I dig it; it's already grown on me with the second listen. It was a lot to digest in the first...so much sound

I love Chinese Sleep Chant...it's kinda shoegazey almost? I love the production on it :drool: yayyy eno

This is definitely something different for Coldplay :up:

I still really like Violet Hill though. I disagree that it's the weakest song (that would be...Strawberry Swing maybe? or Reign of Love if you count that as separate, but I guess it isn't) , although I gotta say, there isn't a bad song on this album. Contrast that to X&Y, which had some songs that I absolutely love, but some songs that I literally can't stand to listen to (What If :yuck: ). this is definitely their strongest album since A Rush, and possibly better than Parachutes, although saying that after only two listens is a bit rash

On the stream, Viva does indeed segue directly into Violet Hill's intro, as I suspected it might.

This would be why on the single the song is labeled as Viva La Vida (New Edit). The difference is that it simply fades out without VH's beginning on there.

On a first listen this album is only decent. I have a feeling that once some time passes this album won't be as good you guys think it is right now.

I disagree. When I first listened to X&Y I didn't like some of the songs right away, and while I thought the album was ok, I never said it was fantastic.

Not the case here.

I'm zipping and uploading LIT, DAAHF, Spell... and Lost? together so it's easier. I'll send it out in a few minutes.

Overall I really like this album. Part of it could well be down to how unexpected parts of it are after X and Y but there are some great songs in their own right on here. After a few listens some of the songs do chug along a bit too much for me during the verses (Lost!, Lovers in Japan and Yes for example) but there are moments in each of these still that make them a joy to listen to, if not perfect.

And even though Reign of Love keeps getting mentioned as one of the least favourites, I really dig it. The piano line is so sweet and follows on nicely from Lovers in Japan, even if the sheer volume of the songs means it gets overshadowed. Chris shines on this song IMO.

You know what I just noticed?

The very end of The Escapist (second hidden track on DAAHF) is the same as the beginning of Life In Technicolor - so it's like a loop if you put the album on repeat...

Very fucking cool!

That is cool!!!

Didn't Floyd do something similar with one of their albums? Was it the Wall or DSOTM? Where the very end is the same as the start...

Coldplay is the new Pink Floyd!!!!!!!!!!

I have to say that the percussion on this album is pretty strong. Usually Coldplay's drums bore the hell out of me (except for a couple, like In My Place), but there are some great beats on this album (Lost and Lovers in Japan are my favourites I think) . i'm impressed :up:

That is cool!!!

Didn't Floyd do something similar with one of their albums? Was it the Wall or DSOTM? Where the very end is the same as the start...

Coldplay is the new Pink Floyd!!!!!!!!!!

The Wall. :yes:

Ending: is this where...
Beginning: ...we came in?

:drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom