Coldplay this Coldplay that...how about Doves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LastEdgeOnEarth

The Fly
Everyone mentions Coldplay in the same sentence as U2 around these boards.

IMHO, I think the only band that is even close to being on U2's playing field is the Doves......now THAT'S exciting music.

"Caught by the River" might be the best song of this decade.

They are great songwriters. And their sounds fill my head for weeks on end..... long after I stopped listening.

I respect Coldplay, but to me the arguments should be about U2-Doves....not U2-Coldplay.

Though, neither is really in U2's league. But Doves are closer.

I enjoy both Doves & Coldplay, and have always felt Doves were the better band. Not many artist have written/produced their first 3 albums at such a high level like the Doves. I consider "Lost Souls" to be the best debut album by any band. And "Some Cities" destroyed "X&Y". I'll be really impressed in they can do the same this year. Viva La Vida is great!

Even from a musician stand-point Doves are awesome. I always wished the Doves would produce a few U2 tracks. After the Doves are no more, Andy, Jez, & Jimmie will still be involved in the music industry. Very talented

Just looked it up, Ben Hillier produced "Some Cities" and was involved in the (U2) POP production team. Pretty cool.

:no:
I respect Coldplay, but to me the arguments should be about U2-Doves....not U2-Coldplay.

Doves are the superior band in this scenario and I can't wait until they put their next album out.
I would never argue U2-Doves, because Doves don't shamefully promote themselves in the way U2 does, or use quotes that sound so close to Bono's that they're bordering on plagiarism or even admit that they dream about U2 and try to say that their fourth album is like their "Unforgettable Fire". Doves are very original and I don't think they sound like U2, but musically they are very close to the same playing field. Coldplay on the other hand...keep dreaming. :no:

Doves' song, 'The Cedar Room', has to be the best song of the decade. This is a song that almost competes, if not competes, with some of the classic U2 epics in my opinion (ie, 'Bad').

Doves' song, 'The Cedar Room', has to be the best song of the decade. This is a song that almost competes, if not competes, with some of the classic U2 epics in my opinion (ie, 'Bad').

'The Cedar Room' is great, but . . .

I would argue 'Snowden' is better. Those strings, those drums, the yearning vocals, the epic build up, the switch ending!!!!!

'Snowden' :drool: :drool: :combust:

I was hoping this was a thread about a new Doves album. You have disappointed me, EYKIW posters.

:no:

I would never argue U2-Doves

well this is more speaking in a general sense, but as far as I can tell, we don't really argue "U2-dvoes" or "U2-coldplay" - it's just coldplay so blatently tries to emulate U2 while continuing to call it U2 an "influence"- I think that's what the argument is over, whether or not and to what extent Coldplay rips off U2

Hearing the Coldplay/U2 talk is a little like the Kobe/Jordan talk. You can try and try and try, Coldplay/Kobe, but you will never be that which you strive to emulate or surpass.

And Doves.....:drool: Cannot wait for the next album.

The Doves have recorded some stunning--basically perfect, even--songs, but all of their records are brutally terrible. Too long, too same-ey, and too bloated. Holy shit, though, do their good songs cook. I still pretend to be able to listen to The Last Broadcast, from time to time, just so that I can enjoy superhuman songs like "Words" and "Caught By The River." I'm never far from the skip button, with this band, but when I'm not skipping, I could swear that they're the greatest band in the world. :up:

...But then, invariably, the next song starts, and I go to the bathroom, to vomit.

Hearing the Coldplay/U2 talk is a little like the Kobe/Jordan talk. You can try and try and try, Coldplay/Kobe, but you will never be that which you strive to emulate or surpass.

And Doves.....:drool: Cannot wait for the next album.

:lol:

I've always loved the Sports Guy's Teen Wolf/Kobe comparison. Now that's dead-on.

I do like what I've heard from this band, too: Snowden, Caught by the River, another random track or two, can't remember.

Don't like Sulphur Man from that album?

Nope. Not the weakest track on the record, certainly. Most of their non-singles just drag and drag and drag, for me. I am very much not a fan of Brit-pop (and that which has followed it, like Doves), singles notwithstanding, so that's probably to blame. Just not my style. At all.

Example: I have never been able to listen to a Pulp record from start to finish, in one sitting. Never. And they're one of my favorite singles bands of all time!

Nope. Not the weakest track on the record, certainly. Most of their non-singles just drag and drag and drag, for me. I am very much not a fan of Brit-pop (and that which has followed it, like Doves), singles notwithstanding, so that's probably to blame. Just not my style. At all.

Example: I have never been able to listen to a Pulp record from start to finish, in one sitting. Never. And they're one of my favorite singles bands of all time!

I'm in the same boat with Pulp. Love some songs, cannot listen to an album. i like Sulphur Man a lot, eh.

Question....do you like/dislike Catherine Wheel?

Duh, the torture device. Fucker.

No, sorry, the band.

Ferment's all right. I had that and Happy Days, but recently got rid of the both of them, after not having listened to either in almost two full years. Loveless suits me just fine, for that era.

Actually, I'm pretty ho-hum on most of the Byrne record, too. Both the band and the Byrne compositions certainly have their moments, though. Didn't those guys just release something new, or possibly re-release something from the olden times?

EDIT: I am just now remembering, though, that Catherine Wheel albums, like nearly all British records of the '90s (and even a lot of the subsequent ones), are way, way, way, way, way too long. Ugh. Way too fucking long.

Ha, yes. Are you having a go at me, NSW? :madwife:, if so! Otherwise, carry on. Sorry for sort of shifting the thread from Doves, everyone.

Ha, yes. Are you having a go at me, NSW? :madwife:, if so! Otherwise, carry on. Sorry for sort of shifting the thread from Doves, everyone.

No, actually, was just confirming. Not everyone likes them. You've known when I've had a go at you. :) I am a big Catherine Wheel fan, more than any band from that era. Ferment is my 2nd favorite of theirs, behind Chrome. But they're not everyone's cup of tea, of course. I don't even drink tea, shhhh.

No, actually, was just confirming. Not everyone likes them. You've known when I've had a go at you. :) I am a big Catherine Wheel fan, more than any band from that era. Ferment is my 2nd favorite of theirs, behind Chrome. But they're not everyone's cup of tea, of course. I don't even drink tea, shhhh.

Yeah, I don't even like My Bloody Valentine that much...just that record, minus "Soon" (sounds too Madchester-ey, for my taste--another '90s Brit-pop-esque movement I just can't warm to). I still think that Isn't Anything sucks, and man, have I ever tried to love that shit-ass record...

Tea is kinda overrated, too, yeah. Hot chocolate FTW.

I'm in the same boat with Pulp. Love some songs, cannot listen to an album.

You guys make my heart sad. :sad:

I'll give you "This Is Hardcore" and "We Love Life", those can be kind of hard to take start to finish.

But, "His 'n Hers" and "Different Class" are pure bliss beginning to end. I could listen to those albums on repeat for hours and hours.

Unlike, "The Last Broadcast" which was such a disappointment to me . . . but then they made it up to me by making the best of the 3 so far, "Some Cities". FUCKING LOVE THAT ALBUM!

start to finish :love:

Back
Top Bottom