Coldplay - Speed of Sound Links?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Diane L said:
I just bought it on iTunes, and am listening to it now.
:heart: Coldplay

I bought it on iTunes as well -- I think it sounds a lot like 'Clocks' - but I love that song, so it's good.

I also have 'Talk' and I can see how things sound similar - but I think it'll be an enjoyable album nonetheless... I like both songs...

Goes to listen to it again...

inmyplace13 said:
When Coldplay released "In My Place", it was the oldest song from the Rush of Blood sessions. That means it was the most Parachutes-y of all the tracks.

Chris has said that Clocks was the newest song from the Rush of Blood sessions and that it was better suited for the third album. Meaning the progression from their sound on RoB to X&Y would begin with something like clocks.

Now comes Speed of Sound, a song introducing us to the X&Y era and that many people are comparing to Clocks. This song is not a representation of the entire album. The difference between "In My Place" and "Clocks" is the kind of difference we can expect from one song to the next on X&Y.

Basically what I'm getting at is if anyone thinks this is "just what you'd expect from Coldplay", go pick up X&Y in June and get blown away.

Good point! (I was expecting a great album anyway - I love all of their albums....)

think u're right. Not too impressed with it, Coldplay songs usually hit me right away, but this didn't.

o well, sure it will grow on me.

Here's a snippet from Billboard about the song "Talk" from the album (in case anyone wants to know):

"One surprise is "Talk," an early version of which was leaked online earlier this year. The band has since completely revamped the song structure, adding different lyrics and ratcheting up the guitar levels. The cut retains the melody from Kraftwerk's "Computer Love," with the main riff played on guitar as opposed to the synthesizers that marked the original."

I absolutely love this song. The intro does sound similar to Clocks, but the songs takes a totally different direction. The chorus is just great.
I also feel it's much stronger than 'Talk' (which I like very much).

Amazing song!

here is a snippet of the MTV review of the album and new single:
[q]The first single, "Speed of Sound," follows, and it's about the strangest track the band could've selected to serve as its grand return to the spotlight. Martin's voice is cocooned by the pulses of an electric piano and synth chords that give way to a driving piano line and circling guitars, making the whole thing sound strangely like a minor version of "Clocks."[/q]

I care not for 'Speed of Sound', but I have been salivating over the version I have of 'Talk' ever since I got it. I adore it. I'm willing to buy their new album just for that one song.

I like talk better than speed of sound. Hopefully the album version of talk will be even better, but i would be surprised if they can top the one that is out there now.

I just bought Speed of Sound and I am blown away. I loved Clocks, but this is better. Speed of Sound is the best Coldplay song I've ever heard.

That said, can someone please post "Talk?" Most of you seem to be saying you like it better, but I don't know how it can beat Speed of Sound.

starsgoblue, thanks! but I don't think that link works for me. Is it because I am on a Mac? Hell, I don't even know what a php file is! *hold your laughs* Any advice for the computer illiterate?

Much thanks.

like both Speed of Sound and Talk:drool:
just found this interesting tidbit on tripwire.com - perhaps I need to head up to Chicago a day early :hmm:

Although Capitol has not officially confirmed these to be true, both Pitchfork and NME have posted a series of intimate club dates for Coldplay. The band will be playing this year's Coachella on April 30 for thousands of fans, but before and after that monster gig, the band will play some intimate gigs in key markets, including Las Vegas, San Francisco, Chicago and Toronto. Check out the details below.

04.29.05 - Las Vegas, NV (Hard Rock)
04.30.05 - Indio, CA (Empire Polo Field, Coachella)
05.04.05 - San Francisco, CA (The Fillmore)
05.06.05 - Chicago, IL (Metro)
05.11.05 - Toronto, ON (Kool Haus)

Coldplay's website has those dates confirmed as fact. Tix are damn near impossible. They are 'buzz gigs' to hype the release. Not the actual world tour, as those dates have not yet been announced.

So.. can anyone tell me how this file is downloaded? Or is it not Mac friendly?

Thanks again.

not bad, but, uh, they really didn't need to rewrite clocks.

hoping the rest of the album is better and more varied . . .

Looks like they are heading to Houston.

[q]NEWS AND TOUR ROUNDUP HOUSTON PRE-SALE INFO
Coldplay are excited to announce that the first of their US tour dates goes on sale this week.

Tickets for the show at Cynthia Woods Music Pavilion, Houston, TX on 24th September will be available on general sale on Saturday 30th April. However, members of Coldplay.com will once again be able to purchase tickets in advance on Thursday 28th April at 10.00am CMT via this Coldplay presale.

The Houston pre-sale will be accessed with a password but on future sales we will re-launch the lottery system we used for the recent European dates.

Click here to register and get your access password

A new ticketing option for the North American tour dates has just been announced also “The Hot Seat Package” includes a premium ticket (in the first 25 rows) exclusive merchandise, a collectible laminate, reserved parking (if available) and a private entrance (if available). Check out the same link above for info on these packages also.

VH1 STORYTELLERS GIG ACCESS
Coldplay.com has 50 pairs of tickets to give away to members for the special TV performance the guys will be doing for the VH1 Storytellers show. The recording will take place on Monday 16th May in Brooklyn, New York.
For the chance to win a pair of tickets for this exclusive show just click here: www.coldplay.com/competitions/

EXCLUSIVE TOUR PACKAGE
A brand new Coldplay VIP travel package has just been added to the Tour section...and this time it's to New York City. This package will include four days in the Big Apple, taking in TWO special Coldplay shows: the gig at the prestigious Beacon Theatre on 17th May and also the VH-1 Storytellers as detailed above.

For all the details, click 'Travel Packages' inside the Tour page at Coldplay.com

COLDPLAYER
If you haven’t checked out the new Coldplayer yet then you’re missing out on some great Coldplay content. This latest tool was launched last week and is already filled with journal entries from on the road, video interviews and the full-length stream of new single ‘Speed of Sound’.
Check out the Coldplay homepage for more information.

THANKS
…and finally a massive thank you to everyone who has downloaded the single so far. Speed Of Sound made it to No1 on the iTunes chart around the world and is the fastest selling download ever![/q]

Back
Top Bottom