Coldplay Quit - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2006, 04:04 PM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel

Thanks, but I'm not coocoo.

My apologizes to the charties. From my vantage point, it seemed that X & Y wasn't doing spectacularly well, obvs. that's just not the case. Oh well.
i think you're dead on, actually. obviously the album is doing just fine. solid. but considering the hype and expectations - it seemed that this was anticipated to be a release with a much bigger impact, 'joshua tree' type world domination seemed the expectation.
by that measure, it is a failure, and i'm sure the band are at least somewhat disappointed.

Old 02-17-2006, 04:19 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:14 PM
Personally I think X&Y isn't a failure in terms of sales (though I take on board and kinda agree with what Dudeman has said) but judging by a lot of the fans' reactions to it on here it's certainly been a failure in terms of many fans' enjoyment of it. X&Y does seem likely to become to Coldplay what 'Be Here Now' was to Oasis. (though I do love both albums)

Old 02-17-2006, 04:56 PM   #48
Refugee

Local Time: 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dudeman

i think you're dead on, actually. obviously the album is doing just fine. solid. but considering the hype and expectations - it seemed that this was anticipated to be a release with a much bigger impact, 'joshua tree' type world domination seemed the expectation.
by that measure, it is a failure, and i'm sure the band are at least somewhat disappointed.
No rock album seems to be able to attain Joshua Tree type world domination. Maybe I will be proven wrong and I hope I am at some point, but I think X&Y did as well as can be reasonably expected today.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:02 PM   #49
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel

Thanks, but I'm not coocoo.

My apologizes to the charties. From my vantage point, it seemed that X & Y wasn't doing spectacularly well, obvs. that's just not the case. Oh well.
sorry, the coocoo was maybe a slight overreaction!

its just the album has been huge here, Q voted it album of 2005, and the concerts have been damn tough to get tickets to aswell (well when i tried they were)
while a lot of people don't like Coldplay and some fans and non-fans alike aren't too happy with X&Y (i love it btw), i just think it slightly blindsided to call it unsuccessful
Old 02-17-2006, 06:21 PM   #50
Refugee

Local Time: 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by TheQuiet1
Personally I think X&Y isn't a failure in terms of sales (though I take on board and kinda agree with what Dudeman has said) but judging by a lot of the fans' reactions to it on here it's certainly been a failure in terms of many fans' enjoyment of it. X&Y does seem likely to become to Coldplay what 'Be Here Now' was to Oasis. (though I do love both albums)
i think that's a great comparison.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:24 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dudeman

This is a good point

It's good and solid, but it's no Sgt. Pepper, Joshua Tree, Automatic For The People or OK Computer.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:14 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:14 AM
as much as I'm not a fan of the x&y era, I don't see what's with all the commotion...the man admits to being a huge fan of u2 & radiohead among other bands so why keep saying the same thing in different wording over and over again?

at least they made two great debut & sophomore albums....that's more than most bands ...especially nowadays.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:36 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:14 AM
can't they still take a break from making albums, but not be "broken up"? things get so blown out of proportion.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:43 AM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by digsy

sorry, the coocoo was maybe a slight overreaction!

its just the album has been huge here, Q voted it album of 2005, and the concerts have been damn tough to get tickets to aswell (well when i tried they were)
while a lot of people don't like Coldplay and some fans and non-fans alike aren't too happy with X&Y (i love it btw), i just think it slightly blindsided to call it unsuccessful
Not to split hairs, but I didn't call it unsuccessful. But from my personal vantage point (and resources that I read, listen to and learn from), the album didn't exactly seem like a big hit compared to the stratospheric heights and ubiquity that the others appeared to have. Obviously it is. I'm fine with it. I'm not a Coldplay hater. I've been a huge fan since they've been going. It's called perspective.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:59 AM   #55
Refugee

Re: Coldplay Quit

Quote:
Originally posted by Down Under
[B]From the English trash paper "Mirror"

16 February 2006
COLDPLAY QUIT
By Jenny McQuaile
COLDPLAY are splitting up, they revealed last night.
I'm not that Lucky!
Old 02-18-2006, 12:55 PM   #56
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:14 AM
as much as I dislike Coldplay;s recent work, people said the same things about U2 before Achtung Baby

it's probably an extended break after touring to get some newer material, hopefully more like Parachutes/Rush of Blood or a new area entirely
Old 02-18-2006, 02:36 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:14 AM
Re: Re: Coldplay Quit

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmmm

I'm not that Lucky!
Since it would really affect your world that much.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:43 PM   #58
Refugee

well as it happens i'd be a whole lot happier if i never had to listen to that whining voice ever again, so yeah it would affect my own little world,inmyplace13, is that your age, or IQ?
Old 02-18-2006, 02:51 PM   #59
War Child

Local Time: 07:14 AM
None of this should come as any surprise. Coldplay are hitting their 30's with only 3 albums to their name. Most groups in their 20's are prolific and then taper off as they age. If Coldplay follow that form it'll be at least 5 yrs. until the next album and then 6 yrs. to the follow-up. Seems like Martin is just stating the obvious; that they're slow and gonna get slower.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:15 PM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmmm
well as it happens i'd be a whole lot happier if i never had to listen to that whining voice ever again, so yeah it would affect my own little world,inmyplace13, is that your age, or IQ?
Coincidentally, it's both.

And just don't listen to it then.

Tags
coldplay