coldplay on "the tonight show with jay leno"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOFO

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
they were on last night.

played "talk".

chris martin stole at least half a dozen bonoismsduring the performance.

discuss if you wish.

one day we'll just say 'Good/Bad' performance instead of going on about how much he's "ripping off bono". let it go.

yertle-the-turtle said:
When I first heard that leak of 'Talk' I thought 'man, this is a great song'.

And I still think that now. The leak, I mean. The album version I find a bit blah.

dear god, I will NEVER shut up about that if anyone gets me on the subject. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?! :( The original version was a proper SONG. It had decent LYRICS, VERSES! Proper progression...!! I was really looking forward to X&Y and then they release it with the new version which is effectively just stuck in a LOOP with DRIVEL for lyrics. :( each time someone mentions 'Talk' to me at the moment I just get their email address and tell them I'll send them the original, the next day they usually come up and say 'Yeah, you're right...' :huh:

First off let me start by saying I am in no way a Coldplay hater. In fact I have nothng against them. I actually like alot of their songs. Now having said that I was embarassed for their(Chris Martins) performance last night. The band sounded great but in my opinion Chris Martin is a terrible live singer(I base this on the multiple times I've seen him sing live, on tv albeit) and his stage presence is so forced and fake. I thought he was terrible. It just seemd fake to me. Like he's trying too hard to be something he's not. the band sounded great but I cringed the whole time becasue of Martin.

Hallucination said:
First off let me start by saying I am in no way a Coldplay hater. In fact I have nothng against them. I actually like alot of their songs. Now having said that I was embarassed for their(Chris Martins) performance last night. The band sounded great but in my opinion Chris Martin is a terrible live singer(I base this on the multiple times I've seen him sing live, on tv albeit) and his stage presence is so forced and fake. I thought he was terrible. It just seemd fake to me. Like he's trying too hard to be something he's not. the band sounded great but I cringed the whole time becasue of Martin.

of course it's fake; he's not bono, which is who he's trying to be.

not in a stupid image/look kinda thing like scott stapp, because I doubt chris can grow his hair like that. but his stage moves/presence/vibe, yep....bono.................................;

no one does the stage thing better than bono.

*disclaimer: not a "u2 are the best and no one else is good" fella....I've been highly critical of u2 this tour and have liked many coldplay tunes.....but compare the live coldplay dvd from 2003 with last nights performance......see what I mean? no? ok......somewhere in 2004 chris made a comittment to be better than bono by doing what bono does. and since he's a millionaire by doing so, I thought I'd point it out.

JOFO said:

of course it's fake; he's not bono, which is who he's trying to be.

not in a stupid image/look kinda thing like scott stapp, because I doubt chris can grow his hair like that. but his stage moves/presence/vibe, yep....bono.................................;

no one does the stage thing better than bono.

*disclaimer: not a "u2 are the best and no one else is good" fella....I've been highly critical of u2 this tour and have liked many coldplay tunes.....but compare the live coldplay dvd from 2003 with last nights performance......see what I mean? no? ok......somewhere in 2004 chris made a comittment to be better than bono by doing what bono does. and since he's a millionaire by doing so, I thought I'd point it out.

I saw nothing in Chris Martins performance that made me think of Bono. Though if I were to compare it go somthing like this:

Bono's performances more often than not come across as bigger than life. Chris Martin's performance came across as though he was trying to be bigger than life. Bono's voice booms throughout his performances while Martin's struggles to keep a note.

There's a huge difference. One is trying too hard for somthing he's not while the other simply just has "it". Shit! I didn't want to make a comparison becasue I honetsly didn't see there being one and I hadn't even thought about it till now. Damn it! I was tricked into it.

Originally posted by The Rockin Edge
mick jagger :sexywink:

he is amazing but no I don't think he can hold an audience the way Bono does. I've seen both live and Jagger is great but he's no Bono.

Last edited:
I thought he was very much emulating Bono.
Quite obvious wasn't it?

The strongest distinction between the two is voice. Martin simply doesn't have the pipes to demand a stage prescence like Bono does, even if he apes his movements down to a tee.

I have nothing against them, but his stage act is getting considerably Bono-ish these days, he did the same thing on Conan a week or two ago, went up into the crowd, ad-libbing non-sense etc. He's just been heavily influenced and is starting to approach the line between flattering imitation and Stappness.

I have to say I think a lot of the Coldplay bashing around here is downright ridiculous, but even so, you can't deny the obvious.

U2DMfan said:
I thought he was very much emulating Bono.
Quite obvious wasn't it?

The strongest distinction between the two is voice. Martin simply doesn't have the pipes to demand a stage prescence like Bono does, even if he apes his movements down to a tee.

I have nothing against them, but his stage act is getting considerably Bono-ish these days, he did the same thing on Conan a week or two ago, went up into the crowd, ad-libbing non-sense etc. He's just been heavily influenced and is starting to approach the line between flattering imitation and Stappness.

I have to say I think a lot of the Coldplay bashing around here is downright ridiculous, but even so, you can't deny the obvious.

I agree with all you said. I like coldplay, but try to be yourself mr. chris martin.

Back
Top Bottom