Coldplay on strike?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fanatic4ever

Blue Crack Addict
here's a bit of news..

:hmm:
Coldplay's manager has said the recent changes at EMI could mean the delay of the band's eagerly-awaited fourth album, 'Prospekt'.

Coldplay are said to be upset over the departure of Tony Wadsworth, head of EMI's UK Music Divison, and as a result are now considering their next move.

EMI was recently subject to a £3.2 billion takeover by the financier Terra Firma and thousands of redundancies are expected. Speaking to the Times, Dave Holmes said: "Tony was the reason a lot of bands sigmed to EMI. Artists want to work with music people, not finance guys. Why would you want to release an album with a record company in the midst of massive lay-offs? Coldplay have a lot of options. They are in the no hurry to deliver their new album."

The implications of this are serious for the beleagured record label. The delay of Coldplay's last album, "X&Y", led to a dramatic drop in EMI's share price while both Radiohead and Sir Paul McCartney left the company under a cloud last year.

If I were them, I would definitely walk away from EMI. Obviously, they would have no problem getting another label..

also...

Coldplay Considering Strike Following EMI Shake-up

Robbie Williams is going on strike in protest at the private equity firm that has taken over his record company, as other stars down tools in an artists’ revolt.

Coldplay, one of EMI’s few US chart-toppers, are also prepared to withdraw their labour. Their manager said that the band was considering its options after EMI’s head of music left this week, with thousands more redundancies expected.

The 30-million album selling Coldplay, currently recording new material with Brian Eno, are upset at the departure of Tony Wadsworth, head of EMI’s UK music division. Dave Holmes, the band’s Los Angeles-based manager, told The Times: “Tony was the reason a lot of bands signed to EMI. Artists want to work with music people, not finance guys.”

He added: “Why would you want to release an album with a record company in the midst of massive lay-offs? Coldplay have a lot of options. They are in no hurry to deliver their new album.”

Last edited:
Record companies are going under like nobody's business. I predict in ten years we'll see a massive shift in how music is distributed. Especially with the technology to record great music becoming more accessable/cheaper.

709_image_07.jpg

The good news is that, at this rate, I won't have to see Chris Martin's mug all over the music press for a while longer.

Can they go on strike from plagiarism and record something original in protest, perhaps?

Robbie Williams is on a EMI strike too.

Having lost Radiohead (and wasn't Paul McCartney with EMI too?) any big names left with that label ?

intedomine said:
Prospekt > In Rainbows?

Can't wait to find out!

Well, it wouldn't be hard to top In Rainbows, but Coldplay sure as hell isn't the band to do it.

the title prospekt makes me laugh.

is this their kid a? i thought they said the last one was going to be?

Zoomerang96 said:
the title prospekt makes me laugh.

is this their kid a? i thought they said the last one was going to be?

I thought their last one was supposed to be their Unforgettable Fire?

It was, but not in a good way at least.

Come on Brau, the only thing more obnoxious than anyone fawning over a band is the one person who thinks it's up to them to "expose how stupid" they are. That's childish, and believe me, I know childish.

MrBrau1 said:

Oh no! :ohmy:

Something might be better than Radiohead?

Oh lordy...

Newsflash: lots of things are better than Radiohead:.

Someone has back-up.

Funny. I wasn't talking about myself being the one doing the hurting. I just know that 50% or more of this forum are Radiohead snobs.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Come on Brau, the only thing more obnoxious than anyone fawning over a band is the one person who thinks it's up to them to "expose how stupid" they are. That's childish, and believe me, I know childish.

haha

Back
Top Bottom