Coldplay new song descriptions!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mofo

Refugee
Now, I know that a lot of people in here hate them or simply think they are overrated, on the other hand it's my 2nd favorite band and now that U2's album been released this is the one I'm really looking forward to

Square One:
Probable first single. Built around a subtle electronic drum beat reminiscent of Brian Eno or Berlin-period Bowie, the song builds into a huge chorus featuring massive guitars and organ. Like Radioheads Paranoid Android it's perplexing on the first listen and appears to go off on different tangents, but after a few spins it sounds like their most ambitious and possibly best song yet.

What If:
Starting with a simple piano, a fragile-sounding Chris sings, " What if you decide/You dont want me there by your side..in your life ". Realising that he cant completely control everything in life, he concludes " Every step you take could be your biggest mistake.../But that's the risk you take ". This albums The Scientist.

Talk:
Another future single, 'Talk' takes the riff from electronic music legends Kraftwerk's Computer Love and builds a completely new song. It keeps the mechanical beat of the original but adds a huge guitar and dancefloor filling bass-line. Stadiums wont be big enough to contain it.

'Til Kingdom Come:
This was written for Johnny Cash but he died before he could record it. Coldplays version is a sweet Dylan-esque folk song on acoustic guitar. " For you I'd wait til kingdom come/Until my days, my days are done." Chris vows.

X&Y:
The dreamy, synth heavy song features the chorus, " You and me are floating on a tidal wave together/You and me are drifting into outer space ." Beatles style strings suddenly appear towards the end, and the anthemic singalong " woo-hoo-hoo " outro is set to become the sound of next summers festivals.

The Hardest Part:
A classic Coldplay love song about loss and heartbreak, in which Chris sings, "The hardest part was letting go, not taking part."

this is from
http://www.coldplaying.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=index

it's nice that they're not copying radiohead in the extreme here or anything. :rolleyes:

at any rate, i'm always a fan of when a mainstream band at least TRIES to be "different" with their sound.

Sounds good. I guess we're not getting a studio version of "Moses"? I never really liked it anyway.
Zoomerang96 said:
it's nice that they're not copying radiohead in the extreme here or anything. :rolleyes:
Oh, c'mon, it'll be nice to have a back-up Radiohead in case the real one goes bad. Well, there's Muse, so this'd be more like the back-up for the back-up.

Last edited:
typhoon said:
Oh, c'mon, it'll be nice to have a back-up Radiohead in case the real one goes bad. Well, there's Muse, so this'd be more like the back-up for the back-up.

*shudder

I also wondered about Moses. My "guess" is that it will be on the album or at least a B side to a single. I wonder if Poor Me will make the cut. I wouldnt mind a studio version of that one.

DrTeeth said:
Ah well, as long as it isn't going to be Parachutes part III :wink:

When did they make Parachutes part II? If you are talking about Rush of Blood, maybe you need to listen again, they do not sound the same.

I must be the only person to feel this way, but I heard a Muse album and hoped I'd never hear another second of their music, whereas I have mad love for Radiohead. I just don't get it. :shrug:

anitram said:
I must be the only person to feel this way, but I heard a Muse album and hoped I'd never hear another second of their music, whereas I have mad love for Radiohead. I just don't get it. :shrug:

It's understandable. I like Muse and they have definite similarities to Radiohead but some differences as well. Radiohead have a lot of subtlety in their music, Muse is about as subtle as being whacked with a baseball bat. I think Muse sounds like Bends-era Radiohead on crack. To me that's a good thing. :wink:

From all those references to electronic sounds, it seems like Coldplay are trying to do an Achtung Baby. Or an OK Computer. But, anyway... :wink:

It'll be interesting to see what Coldplay can do with their new album.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
interesting. I am all for this album long as there are not a million lovey dovey songs about Chris and Gwyneth.

Hehe! I'll second that.

Wasn't the follow up to Rush Of Blood supposed to have more harder edge songs? :shrug:

When does the new one come out? I've only recently begun listening to their albums, and I don't see any similarity to Radiohead. After giving both bands a fair shot, well, let's just say I won't be asking when Radiohead's next is due out.

i can't wait...i'm so excited after reading this. i hate waiting :madspit:

what is the release date on it anyway?

and i never really thought of coldplay as a back up for radiohead (why would they need one? :scratch: ) but i still to this day think god put a smile.... definately sounds quite a bit like bends era radiohead.

Back
Top Bottom