Coldplay - LP 6: Ghost Stories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Magic. Hmmmm.

The instrumentation seems awfully sparse here, especially in the first half.

Sparse instrumentation has worked for this band in the past, but I'm not sure if it works here. Doesn't really seem to fit with the vocal.

Not an offensive tune, by any means, and WAY less obnoxious than the singles off the last album. I'll give it another listen tomorrow.

Coldplay - LP 6

Fucking yes, love the way these lads go about things. Some boring song titles aside, this is a very welcome surprise.

Yet to hear "Magic" but "Midnight" is more enjoyable with every listen for me.

I'm precious, but I don't like the album cover, if only for the fact that it breaks a kind of pattern they had happening.

I looked to see if there was a Wikipedia entry yet for the new album, there wasn't, but they're the fifth band to name an album Ghost Stories.

Sent from my AT300 using U2 Interference mobile app

Can't find no "Magic" in this new song. Sounds dull. And Martin's usual lyrical poverty is there. Doesn't even "feel" like a lead-single at all.
I really liked "Midnight" a lot, but this morning I found out why: it's based in an old Imogen Heap's song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PvBc2TOpE4

"Hmm" is my first thought as well. It's really nice though, and this album is going to make for a refreshing change of pace I think.

Wow it sounds like "Adult Contemporary radio hit style". It could have been on the 20/20 experience Vol 2. There's a billion songs with that tone and as soon as I hear it, it sounds like it'll be a big hit. It's nice enough but Midnight was a bit better. I think Gwyneth will jog on the treadmill with this in her iPod.

Though that scream in the middle of Midnight is ridiculous. :lol: What a pantomime of passion!

Magic. Hmmmm.

The instrumentation seems awfully sparse here, especially in the first half.

Sparse instrumentation has worked for this band in the past, but I'm not sure if it works here. Doesn't really seem to fit with the vocal.

Not an offensive tune, by any means, and WAY less obnoxious than the singles off the last album. I'll give it another listen tomorrow.

Probably the best way to describe it. It's not great, but much better that the shit from MX.

MjAxMi02ZWZlOGZiNDY5YjVkMDY1.png

Yeah, agreed that both songs are decent. I'm not raving about them or anything, but they're a welcomed change from MX.

I'm still not sold on Midnight but Magic is great. It really takes off when Martin starts using his falsetto. It's a great melody. Seems like they're going back to Rush of Blood era Coldplay which is fine by me.

I'm still not sold on Midnight but Magic is great. It really takes off when Martin starts using his falsetto. It's a great melody. Seems like they're going back to Rush of Blood era Coldplay which is fine by me.

Agreed. Magic is a nice little song, though I don't know if I'd peg it Rush of Blood territory.

Midnight sounds like wasted potential to me. The texture and atmosphere is fantastic, but... it doesn't go anywhere. Sounds like it might around the 3:45 mark or so, but then it doesn't. Weird choice for the first taste of the album - to me it sounds like filler, or like someone else mentioned, a good little textural bridge between two songs, maybe, but on it's own it's just kind of... there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom