Coldplay - LP 6: Ghost Stories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Coldplay - LP 6

I had quite an odd expression on my face when hearing 'Midnight' for the first time. A few listens later, I really like it. Chris' voice reminded me of Imogen Heap, which is quite interesting. Although I've loved the material they've been putting out for the past 5 albums, I'm glad they might be entering slightly different territory, with this track possibly being an indication.

I have yet to see them live, and yes, it annoys me slightly that they have been playing 90-minute sets. Oh, and while we're on the subject of rankings:

1) Viva La Vida
2) A Rush of Blood to the Head
3) Mylo Xyloto
4) X&Y
5) Parachutes

#2 and #3 swap positions every now and then. :drool:

While we're at it...

1. Blood Rush

2. Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends

3. Mylo Xyloto

4. Parachutes / X&Y

While we're at it...

1. Blood Rush

2. Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends

You abbreviate your #1 but switch the words around, and yet feel the need to type out the entirety of your #2?

That latter album title is a good example of Martin being pretentious. And a knob.

Parachutes is a bit of an anomaly in their catalogue. It's feels subtle and not at all overblown, Martin's voice is different and not nearly as annoying as it will be, and there's even some atmosphere and texture in there. I still think it's a good album.

The less said about the rest the better, couple of songs from A Rush of Blood To the Head excluded. And there are some early b-sides that are pretty good.

Parachutes is a bit of an anomaly in their catalogue. It's feels subtle and not at all overblown, Martin's voice is different and not nearly as annoying as it will be, and there's even some atmosphere and texture in there. I still think it's a good album.

:up: Nothing else they've released matches Parachutes' quality, atmosphere or subtlety.

I personally think that there's a lot of really distinct "atmosphere" in Viva La Vida. The opening by itself, with Life In Technicolor into Cemeteries of London. The codas on Lovers In Japan and Yes.

Etc.

Eno is all over that album, and in a good way.

Well, I like it--don't get me wrong, I enjoy a nice hook as much as the next guy, but I usually end up gravitating towards those deep album cuts that are rarely given consideration for release as a single (e.g. U2's "One Step Closer" (and what the hell, I'll publicly shame myself by admitting my great appreciation for the title track to 'Turn Off the Dark'); "Paradise" by Springsteen; "Sweetness Follows," "I've Been High" by REM, etc.), which is why I gotta give Coldplay props for certainly taking the road less traveled... kinda gives the band a lil' bit of moxie :drunk:

Finally listened to the new song. Not bad. Much better than the crap they released on MX.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 because the Nexus 5 just wasn't big enough.

Sounds like Coldplay are doing a Passengers Original Soundtrack thing. 'Midnight' sounds very like it.

I would totally agree with this if all I knew of music began and ended with U2.

:applaud:

I'm tempted to listen to the song now just to see how much it does not sound like Passengers.

edit: I've listened to it. So Bon Iver ripped off Original Soundtracks!

As a teaser, this is good stuff. It can't stand on its own, though. It builds something and then does absolutely nothing, which probably was the point, but whatever. It feels like an introduction for a new sound, sort of like The Fly for Achtung Baby (except The Fly is actually a good song, whereas this is mostly just noise in my ears).

But the sound is kinda cool, although not really unique (hey everyone, did you realize this sounds like Bon Iver who in return sounds like Passengers??!1!). Probably their most interesting and unconventional direction yet, so hey, good for them. Much better than the atrocious Atlas.

:lol: And maybe a few Muse albums.

:applaud:

I'm tempted to listen to the song now just to see how much it does not sound like Passengers.

edit: I've listened to it. So Bon Iver ripped off Original Soundtracks!

I just don't get it. Someone in EYKIW was saying they blatantly ripped off The Edge, I have no fucking clue what they were talking about.

Also is there some reason why a person can't like U2 AND Coldplay? Why do the fandoms have to be mutually exclusive?

I can't believe how many posts this thread has already. I refuse to believe it. My my my, my my. It was not magnificent.

I'm going to shoot people who mention U2 so much they have to go to a blood bank.

I personally think that there's a lot of really distinct "atmosphere" in Viva La Vida. The opening by itself, with Life In Technicolor into Cemeteries of London. The codas on Lovers In Japan and Yes.

Etc.

Eno is all over that album, and in a good way.

Totally agree. As you said earlier, Viva La Vida has a truly distinct sound, even though its pieces are very different from each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom