Coldplay - LP 6: Ghost Stories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
EP era: Bigger Stronger, Such a Rush, Only Superstition
Parachutes: Don't Panic, Spies, High Speed
Rush of Blood: Politik, God Put a Smile Upon Your Face, Warning Sign, Rush of Blood
X+Y: Square One, Low, Speed of Sound
VLV: Violet Hill, Strawberry Swing
MX: -

I'm finding it hard to pick a definitive favourite from the above, but these are all songs I'd consider to be part of Coldplay's upper/top level.

Parachutes: Don't Panic, Trouble
Rush of Blood: Politik, In My Place, Warning Sign
X&Y: Talk (I haven't listened to it in a long time; I'm sure there's another song I like on it)
Viva La Vida: (.... can I just pick all of them? No? Okay.) Lost!, Lovers in Japan, Life in Technicolor
Mylo Xyloto: Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall (THAT'S RIGHT I SAID IT), Charlie Brown

Try a ranking...

1. Lost!
2. Amsterdam
3. Strawberry Swing
4. The Scientist
5. Princess of China
6. Violet Hill
7. Talk
8. A Rush of Blood To The Head
9. Lovers in Japan
10. Yellow

Not easy.

I like Major Minus and it remains the only song from that album that I can say with confidence that I enjoy, but it doesn't register up the top.

1. Shiver
2. Trouble
3. Strawberry Swing
4. Clocks
5. Don't Panic
6. Lost!
7. Yellow
8. High Speed
9. Warning Sign
10. Amsterdam

1. A rush of blood to the head
2. Amsterdam
3. Yellow
4. Shiver
5. Sparks
6. Green eyes
7. Warning Sign
8. Moses (live 2003)
9. One I love (live 2003)
10. For you (b-side)

This is getting me interested in making a car compilation.

Favorite Gwyneth movies:

1. Shakespeare In Love
2. The Royal Tenenbaums
3. Se7en
4. The Talented Mr. Ripley
5. A Perfect Murder

Favorite episodes of Game of Thrones in which Will Champion has appeared:

1. The Rains of Castamere

Favorite R.E.M. songs that Chris Martin helped name:

1. Supernatural Superserious

Favorite ways intedomine describes Coldplay:

1. The Mighty Coldplay
2. Cracking

Personally, I want to learn more about the life of Socrates. I thought I was in the right thread but apparently not.

I'm sure I speak for us all when I say fuck restraint.

This is like those times when people say "ohh the craziest thing just happened but I can't talk about it."

As much as X&Y sucks balls, I do really like Talk, Square One, and A Message.

Sent from my Note 3 using my S-pen.

X&Y cops a little bit too much shit for my liking. I never listen to it, and will likely never go back to it, but it had a pretty consistent sound, all pulsating bass and punchy synths. And there were some really great songs on it. Square One absolutely rules, as does Speed of Sound, A Message is great, Low is perhaps the band's most underrated song (seriously good), and as I've said before, I fucking love Fix You, and don't care what anyone else thinks of it. In the hands of any of Coldplay's contemporaries it would be atrocious, but they pull it off in spite of itself. I can't see any legitimate reasons for the vitriol it gets, particularly when an album like Mylo Xyloto - which I still like a good deal - exists, and it's far more obnoxious than X&Y.

Jeez, I completely forgot about Fix You! :lol:

I do quite like the song, especially the big finish.

X&Y has a solid first half that's still no match for the first two records.

But somewhere after Speed of Sound, I completely lose interest. Swallowed in the Sea is one of the worst songs I've ever heard. The Hardest Part is so boring.

And for some bizarre reason, the album is over an hour long.

X&Y is harshly derided (like Coldplay is generally), but it's a bit of a jumble and very try hard. There were quite a few songs there that don't sit together well on the album and it is nastily overlong. Fix You is pointless if it isn't live, for me.

I would rather have a ten song album comprising of:

Square One
White Shadows
Talk
Speed Of Sound
X&Y
A Message
Low
Twisted Logic

And maybe throw in Things I Don't Understand and Gravity.

But I feel that songs like Hardest Part, What If and Kingdom Come don't really sit right on the same disc.

It's hardly something in the catalogue worth disowning though. Nothing to be ashamed of, just not as brilliant as they were intending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom