Coldplay--Love or Hate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They're pretty good. I wouldn't say I love them, but AROBTTH was a feckin' brilliant album, and there were some really stong songs on Parachutes. Moses off of the live album is really good too. I'd love to see a cover of "A Sort of Homecoming" dedicated to Apple on their next album.

Eh, I used to love them... But that was when I was experiencing U2 and Radiohead withdrawal. They were a good substitute, and I'm sure anyone could see why. :|

I don't mind them. Still have to say that Parachutes is bounds above A Rush of Blood to the Head.

cujo said:
Still have to say that Parachutes is bounds above A Rush of Blood to the Head.

Oh, definitely. I thought AROBTTH was damn boring, to be honest. Parachutes was of much better quality.

I loved AROBTTH.. Parachutes was great too. But songs like In my Place And clocks are amazing... I could see them doing what U2's doing now in another 10 or 15 years.

I love em. They have a great melancholic sound, in my opinion. Great contrasts on a single album as well, between songs like Clocks and Green Eyes, or Shiver and Spies.

They don't seem to be big on changing their style though, but I'm happy with their style the way it is. :)

I'll agree that they're great live, although I only know this from seeing the DVD - full of energy, and a nice light show too. :cool:

At first i hated them. Then i bought AROBTTH and fell in love with them, then i bought Parachutes and loved them even more. It's good music if you need to relax. I often play them to help me fall asleep because the music is so ambient, smooth and relaxing.

I really like Coldplay a lot. Saw them live last year and it was a great show. I'm definitely looking forward to their next album.

i neither love nor hate coldplay. their music just never drew me in, with one exception: i have grown to love 'don't panic' because of the 'garden state' soundtrack (which i love as much as the movie).

I love them. I didn't care for Parachutes much at first, but after AROBTTH came out, Parachutes grew on me. I'd rank AROBTTH in the top 5 albums of all time, and I've been a huge music fan since the mid 70's.

They're the only band I'd consider in the same class as U2. It remains to be seen where they take it next, but I have high hopes for them.

I would put them in my top ten band list. They're songs are pretty nice. Clocks is the only one that gives me the feeling a U2 song does. It's amazing what they've done in two albums though. We'll see if they can stay together for 25 years and see how good they are. Songs like In My Place bore me, but Clocks, Moses, One I Love, and Don't Panic are pretty good.

i love them. i was pretty ambivalent about them until i saw them live at a pretty small club, right as AROBTTH was released. Definitely converted me....

I don't love them but don't hate them, I simply like Coldplay, very good band live, 2 good albums, my best friend is crazy about them... etc.

I still don't own a Coldplay album. :reject:

I almost bought one...but I got a Cure album instead...since I own no Cure...and that seems very shameful.

I really think they are talented, great lyrics. But I got "A Rush Of Blood To the Head," and I was a little bored. Music I really get into to, has goos meldoies, lyrics, but it has to keep my interest. U2 is great for me because they rock and they are passionate. And Coldplay is passionate. But when it comes down to it I only really like 3 Coldplay songs "Yellow," "Clocks" and "Politik." But they are great to music, I am happy people are infulenced by them!:);)

Last edited:
Bonochick said:
I still don't own a Coldplay album. :reject:

I almost bought one...but I got a Cure album instead...since I own no Cure...and that seems very shameful.
Congrats on your first Cure album!!! I suggest The Walk from them or Head on the Door! Hell, get them all:wink: Great band. Oh yeh, Coldplay...if it's the band I think it is... is that the band with the singer that sounds alittle like Bono? If it is then I don't care for them otherwise I don't know no Coldplay. Carry on:lol:

A Rush of Blood to the Head is easily the best album of the new decade, miles above Parachutes. People keep saying they are the new U2. Not sure about that yet, but if they can keep it up, who knows?

Mark Freedman said:
They're the only band I'd consider in the same class as U2. It remains to be seen where they take it next, but I have high hopes for them.

High hopes here too! God-forbid U2 won't last forever so I think Coldplay are worthy contendors to carry on the torch for the upcoming generations. Hopefully they will continue to embrace the mainstream while pushing it into new directions at the same time.

My advice to them through the years (as if I would know!):
1. Maintain a strong friendship above all
2. Always be respectful towards other bands
3. Avoid abusing alcohol and using drugs
4. Seek to blow their own minds

BTW, I highly recommend the concert DVD!

Like Triumph the Insult Comic Dog said:

"I used to like Coldplay when they were better known as U2."

*ahem* Anyways, I like Coldplay, but their next album better not have all kinds of brooding, sad songs. I think we've had enough.

Well, thank god Gwyn came out and said she wasn't getting involved with the band and future work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom