Coldplay--Love or Hate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aardvark747 said:
dont like them. Sorry, I never have. Too boring for me.

*dont have a go at me - it is MY opinion*:wink:

it's your opinion and that's totally ok, but, you like Keane, don't you?

Coldplay are great. For a debut album Parachutes was amazing. But for a second album AROBTTH is totally awesome, far out its brilliant. They're developing so brilliantly.

AROBTTH is such a great album, the only prob is that the first 5 tracks have been played to death. So the album only really starts at Green Eyes for me.

i just tried to get tickets to the promo show at the kool haus in TO and it sold out basically before it went on sale. i was on 2 computers and my 2 friends were on theirs right @ 10 and didn't get anything. they said on the radio it sold out in 3 minutes but there is no way that can be true....try like 3 seconds.

I'll tell you who's overrated: the killers.

and I'm gonna keep saying it in every thread I can until some people realize what absolute shite they are.
then again, they'll be gone next year anyway.

as far as coldplay, I actually have more respect for them now then 2 years ago, because I've been waiting for another band to come along and blow them away, and so far no one has.
their music is good, not great, imo, and that just goes to show that if there are any really great bands out there they're not being given a chance by the record companies to be heard.
lik bono said at the RARHOF.

The success of Coldplay makes me wonder where originality has gone in music. They are at best a u2-lite-fusion band that "lifts" the elements of u2 they like best.

The guitar sounds and twangs in "Speed of Sound" are such complete copies of Edge's work....ugggh.

Coldplay can't compare to u2....because , in too many ways, they are u2

Pearl Jam

"Mankind"

You'll be...going out with radio...
Going out with disco...going out like bacchanal...
I'll be...going out with telephone...
Going out alone...to the radar zone...
It's all just inadvertent imitation and I don't mean mine
It's all across this nation...
If it's just inadvertent simulation a pattern in all mankind
What's got the whole world fakin' it?
I'll be...playing with my magazine...
Using up my Listerine...Like Ovaltine...
And you'll be...you're dippin' in your battleship...
For the latest tip...for the latest dream...
It's all just inadvertent, imitation, and I don't mean mine
It's all across this nation...
If it's just inadvertent, simulation, a pattern in all mankind
If it's just inadvertent, imitation, a pattern in all mankind
What's got the whole world fakin'? (4x)
What's got the whole world fakin' it, yeah?

I love coldplay, but I'm not holding my breath for them (or anyone else) to match u2 at their peak.

Maybe bono and edge's kids will start a band?

I know this is a U2 fan forum and all, but will everyone please shut up about U2? U2 did not create music, U2 did not create rock, and most seemingly forgotten on these forums: Edge was not the first person to ever play a guitar and use different guitar effects. Please broaden your horizons and realize that by your own standards that U2 themselves have 'copied' dozens upon dozens of bands countless times.

Thank you.

u2popmofo said:
I know this is a U2 fan forum and all, but will everyone please shut up about U2? U2 did not create music, U2 did not create rock, and most seemingly forgotten on these forums: Edge was not the first person to ever play a guitar and use different guitar effects. Please broaden your horizons and realize that by your own standards that U2 themselves have 'copied' dozens upon dozens of bands countless times.

Thank you.

agreed.

I love Coldplay also. I've just been listening to Speed Of Sound in the last few days, and even though the chord progression is extremely similar to Clocks, I think it is a better song than In My Place, the first single off AROBTTH.

They will never be U2, but who cares? Nobody will ever be U2, so we might as well just enjoy Coldplay, cause they do make good music, and they are pretty darn good live.

No, U2 didn't invent rock & roll...but in many ways, I don't think they're rock & roll at all in the conventional sense. I think that's the operative word: conventional. They didn't blantantly lift another band's sound and call it their own.

What makes u2 great, and so appealing, is that they've defied convention. They've created a brand all their own, for better or worse. Coldplay cannot say that....and that's what bothers me when I hear people say they are "the next great band".

But, hey, even I sing along to their songs...:wink:

Needle_Chill said:

They will never be U2, but who cares? Nobody will ever be U2, so we might as well just enjoy Coldplay, cause they do make good music, and they are pretty darn good live.

good point! plus, i don't even think they're all *that* similar to U2, so the comparisons are unnecessary in my opinion. i really love coldplay's songs, the lyrics are gorgeous... :heart:

u2popmofo said:

Thank you.

:heart: u2popmofo :heart:

u2popmofo said:

Thank you.

:up:

How did I miss this thread? I must be the most infamous Coldplay hater here! I really dislike them and find Chris Martin's voice (as well as his looks) sickening and intolerable and whiney. This makes everything they do completely unbearable to me. They are extremely overrated, especially on this forum, and the comparisons to U2 make me want to hurl (though Clocks is a lame ripoff of UF)

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
How did I miss this thread? I must be the most infamous Coldplay hater here! I really dislike them and find Chris Martin's voice (as well as his looks) sickening and intolerable and whiney. This makes everything they do completely unbearable to me. They are extremely overrated, especially on this forum, and the comparisons to U2 make me want to hurl (though Clocks is a lame ripoff of UF)

:shame:

Explain to me how Clocks rips off UF, U2Kitten. I'm not being an asshole, I just want to know how you figure.

U2Kitten said:
I really dislike them and find Chris Martin's voice...sickening and intolerable and whiney.

He may have a heart of gold, but his voice bears an uncanny resemblace to Robin, Kermit the Frog's little nephew on Sesame Street. Robin is a cute little reproduction of his uncle, but lacks the wisdom, originality, and integrity of the elder frog.

He wouldn't bother me so much if he wasn't on magazine covers saying he wants to be bigger than Kermit...the biggest frog in the swamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom