Coldplay--Love or Hate? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2004, 11:18 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bunbury
being the next U2
I cringe whenever anyone makes this analogy.

And no, not because it defiles the sanctity that is the bounty of u2... labelling a band with that moniker, or giving that expectation is nothing more than a superficial observation. Hey look! They have a similar sound. Let's scrutinize their work for the next decade, hoping they'll be good... but at the same time hope they're not that good. It's nice to have safe alternatives to listen to, and by all means Coldplay make some decent music. However, if the only reason you're listening to their material (or other bands with the same label) is because it shares semblance with some "u2opian" ideal, then clearly you're not a fan of their work. You're a scout.

Old 10-19-2004, 05:23 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:26 AM
I like them a lot. Parachutes is better than Rush Of Blood, although Clocks, though as someone said is/was overplayed, is a brilliant song.

The 3rd album will really be a big moment for them. Could have them forever as a middle of the road, nice and talented band, or could really make them something.

Old 10-19-2004, 11:08 AM   #48
War Child

Local Time: 02:26 AM
Everybody always talks about clocks--I don't know why but I've always preferred the scientist.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:21 AM   #49
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:26 AM
I think they're pretty good. It took me a while to come on board because I never liked "Yellow", but AROBTTH was mostly great, IMO.

It's important to remember that they only have two albums out, and if they sound kinda the same, that's the way it goes. I don't recall anyone ever talking about <i>Boy</i> and <i>October</i> having vastly different sounds.

I agree with those who say the third album is important, but it's not make or break. U2 didn't make an unqualified masterpiece until JT. You just never really know.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:10 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:26 AM
I respect them, but in a way, they bore me. They're good musicians and all but they're not "The Next U2." I probably just haven't grown into them yet.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:56 AM   #51
Refugee

best british band since the smiths. love them.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:23 AM   #52
The Fly

Local Time: 12:26 AM
I really like them, I have both of their albums. I have to be in the mood to listen to them though.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:13 PM   #53
New Yorker

Coldplay need to learn how to rock.... with that said, a great representation of rock band minimalism...
Old 10-21-2004, 09:06 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Great Band, first two releases have been brilliant, and they wouldn't have existed if u2 didnt.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:20 PM   #55
Refugee

Local Time: 12:26 AM
Coldplay is great!

Prediction: U2 will pass their "rock mantel" on to Coldplay when they retire. It's no secret that Chris Martin has a lot of respect for U2. He is pretty much asking for the u2 mantel.

Arush of blood is a great album. All the songs are awesome. Seriously, if you don't like this album, take another listen.

I saw them live. Their show was very boring in contrast to a U2 show. Most everyone just stood around and listened. There wasn't any energy in the building. They are amazing musicians, they just don't have the ability to excite a crowd. The green lighting was cool.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:42 PM   #56
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Freedman
It remains to be seen where they take it next, but I have high hopes for them.
I agree they are on the right track with their first 2 albums like U2 was at that point in their career. . .they could follow in U2's footsteps if they continue to grow.

I love Coldplay greatly. Saw them play once and love the live DVD and CD.

Most people's complaint about Coldplay is that they're too boring. Well I happen to like deep, mellow, slow-burning music so I of course love Coldplay. I like AROBTTH much better than Parachutes because it has a little more edge to it. Although I love listening to Parachutes as well. I'm anxious to see what they do on the next album which I'm sure I'll love also.

Coldplay is among my top 3 favorite bands.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:18 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I love Coldplay, their an amazing band, but I don't like when people say they are the next u2. There will never be another u2. Period. No one will have the magic for 25 years. Coldplay have modeled themselves after u2, and even though it comes through in their music, they aren't that similar. 95% of their songs have piano in them and are ballads, they are basically soft rock, one hell of a band though. u2 aren't soft rock, and Coldplay's guitarist isn't anywhere near the Edge. Their one of my favorite bands out there, but there's no "new u2". Never.

I thought it was funny when the Comic Insult Dog had that song where he said "Coldplay, you should be called cold sore, back when you were u2, I liked you so much more."
Old 10-26-2004, 01:24 AM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:26 AM
Coldplay

absolutely love
Old 04-19-2005, 11:06 PM   #59
Refugee

the most overrated band on the planet. its nice lala music but nothing more. i don't hate them.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:22 PM   #60
Refugee

Local Time: 07:26 AM
When they released the Parachutes album, I loved them, specifically for "spies" and I still love that album. I wasnt very impressed with ARoBTTH, Im hoping that there new album is a little deeper lyrically, and musically.

Tags
coldplay